Home made log skidder bull dozer build, starting with J20, need Hydraulic HELP!

Warpig

So i just picked up a bad ass potentially cool buggy.  Dana 60 rear, dana 44 front, hummer rims, 37.5 tires, no engine and no tranny.

Here is my idea, i want to install a 4cyc or 6 cyl diesel engine from a tractor into it, and run a pair of hydraulic pumps.  I want to attach the hydraulic motors to the input flanges on the axles, and run a pair of variable speed controlers for the axle motors.  Then i want to build an a frame in the back and grapple, and push blade for the front, each with a single up and down 2 position hydraulic controller.  So help me figure out how to run it all, what types of movements i'll have (speed) and what i need to get it all going.  Oh yeah i picked it up for 400!

Attachments

• 5If5L65V03Gd3Ff3J2c2s920c856112c21aa3.webp
    5If5L65V03Gd3Ff3J2c2s920c856112c21aa3.webp
    12.7 KB · Views: 6,564
  • 5N25K55H83G83L73Jdc2sb74b7c66ecd01752.webp
    5N25K55H83G83L73Jdc2sb74b7c66ecd01752.webp
    14.1 KB · Views: 6,478
  • 5I55G75H23Id3N63Hcc2s1f7a80fcdf44121f.webp
    5I55G75H23Id3N63Hcc2s1f7a80fcdf44121f.webp
    14 KB · Views: 6,270
  • 5N45G15Fe3M73o33H1c2s318504cb37b11b33.webp
    5N45G15Fe3M73o33H1c2s318504cb37b11b33.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 6,232
I was going to run an electric winch line over a sheave and utilize a big hook, and use log tongs instead of a hydraulic graple, the hydraulics for the rear or to raise and lower the A Frame, i want to be able to use it as a hoist truck as well.  So help me design it and figure it all out.

Do you remember that little loader that a friend of mine built? I can give the general items to propel it or the general to operate the loader or the pull behind blade that was a 12volt pump and hydraulic to lift it.

If the grapple it a fall to close then you just need a lever to open and a lock to hold it open with a trip rope to open the lock and let if fall.

Still Zuking, i was hoping someone with that kind of knowledge would help me out.  Find below and Excel that I drew up just a rough sketch.  Did your buddy use direct drive on the hydraulics, connecting them straight to the axles?  Also, Help me understand you grapple comment above. 

Attachments

Caleb this is Kelly Brown lol. Were you ever around the old Ford 9 N tractors that had an overshot stone boat or a trip dump front end loader?
And you vary the speed of the motors with rpm of the engine. Loren run a transfer case with a single motor to the input shaft. This allows for low range working and hi range for road speed.

here is a vid of the loader he built. it has a 20hp gas engine, 410 transfer case, cut down Zuk axles and atv turf tires. It has a bucket, forklift, grapple and rear pull road grader. He built the entire machine including the frame, loader arms, forks, grapple  and rear blade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=InE9UqB-gSE

pics of loader and blade
Zuksintheyard005.jpg

Zuksintheyard006.jpg

Zuksintheyard007.jpg

Zuksintheyard008.jpg

Zuksintheyard010.jpg

Zuksintheyard011.jpg

Zuksintheyard012.jpg

Yes i have seen those.  And I'll start looking for a transfer case.  Were is the thread or the link for that build of the little thing your friend built?

So, i'm even more intruiged now, i love that little thing, I'm gonna leave the axles full width, they are 3/4 tons and if i get a 4cyl or 6cyl diesel pushing a pair of motors i should be able to run lots of power, I do not know if i am gonna run the transfer case or not, i need to put some numbers down with regards to the rpm, and mph, i dont want it to go over 15-20, probably work speed would be about 8-10.  I'll do some figuring on it once i figure out the ratios in the axles and what types of engines i'll be looking at.

There is no build online for it. He built it about 2 years before I moved there and I helped build the grapple fork (sorry no pics) and we have redone some the drive train. Like replace a double chain sprocket to a shaft hook up for the motor to transfer case. He has a machine shop that includes a machine to make hydraulic lines.

Believe me I've been over it from end to end lol.

Those are some cool treads, do you cut them or press them on the rubber. 

Well I found a lot of inspiration over here at this thread, and a lot of technical data, http://www.hydraulicinnovations.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1099

This guy even mounted hydraulic motors on the outputs of a t case and turned it into a gear increase and then fed it into another t case to out put to the axles. 

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom