Hobart Welders

redidbull

I was looking at welders and have seen these before. Is anyone using them? I have a Campbell Hausefield that works OK but would like to step up, maybe leaving the CH Flux and using the Hobart gas. Any views? Thanks. Jim

Hobarts are good enough.  ;) If you're looking for a new welder, and it's in your budget, they're a fine welder. Certainly a damn sight better than your CH! However, if you keep your eyes open on Craigslist, you can often find a good used Miller for about the same money. Either one will serve you well, though. Hobarts are very repairable and parts are more available than Lincoln, typically.

I have a 220 Iron Man and love it. Good welds and penetration. Takes a bit to get used to but that happens with any welder. I have a smaller 115 CH mig and I would rather use the 220  (even for small jobs). I welded these sliders for my Ranger with the 220....
DSC00669.jpg

Thank you guys. I think I am going to get it. I have been looking around for "Tombstone" Lincoln arc for big stuff. I need to wire up a 220 line before I get one. I have seen them on CL in the 100 dollar range. Thanks. Jim

redidbull date=1366202748 said:
Thank you guys. I think I am going to get it. I have been looking around for "Tombstone" Lincoln arc for big stuff. I need to wire up a 220 line before I get one. I have seen them on CL in the 100 dollar range. Thanks. Jim
The old Lincoln AC-225 is a beast. It's great for the big projects. Loved mine, but gave it away a few years ago.  :-\\\\

I used to run a 220 extension line I wired up to plug into the dryer outlet out the back door for awhile before I put a line out to the work area. Ah, the memories.  ;D 

Looking at getting a Hobart MIG myself. Have been reading up on them over the last few weeks. Looks like my choice wasn't a bad one...

bbzuki date=1366206964 said:
I used to run a 220 extension line I wired up to plug into the dryer outlet out the back door for awhile before I put a line out to the work area. Ah, the memories.  ;D

Yea I have been eyeing the dryer line myself. Mine is hardwired in but that is easy to change. I just so happen to have a nice length of 10GA SO cable too. ;)  Thanks. Jim

I've got a Hobart Handler 175.  It is 220V.  Bought it new about 10 years ago.  Got the auto darkening helmet/hood (auto darkening hoods are awesome) and stand with it.
I run solid wire with CO2 shielding gas.
I've welded everything from sammy sheet metal to 1/2" stuff with it.  It works great.
The only issue I've had with it, is sometimes the wire didn't want to feed.  But I figured out I needed to keep the lead fairly straight and not coiled or at a sharp bend and it feeds fine.
I've probably ran 40-50lbs. of wire through it.
IMO, don't waste your time on a 110V welder.  The are convenient, as far as you can always find a place to plug them in, but a 220V will do a better job at welding most things.
Arc welders have their place.  But I doubt I'll ever own one.  Learned to weld with an arc welder and used to be pretty good at it.  But once I used a MIG, I never looked back.

If your gonna run 220v get a Lincoln.we have a millermatic,metal man,and a Lincoln mig at work.the Hobart is awesome for aluminum and dual shield.the Lincoln gets used by everyone for everything else because the fancy miller sucks at everything and is to bulky to get in tight spots.now if you want a stick welder ...TOMBSTONE.120v Hobart makes a good ez handler that can do just about anything.i myself have a century 135 mig and a thermal arc tig/stick in the garage use them both.

I have a Hobart 140 (110 volt) I use for my projects and it seems to work really well, I weld outside and use flux core but it comes with an adaptor and gauges so you can use gas as well.

zukiguy said:
I have a Hobart 140 (110 volt) I use for my projects and it seems to work really well, I weld outside and use flux core but it comes with an adaptor and gauges so you can use gas as well.

Once you go to gas you would be surprised at how clean it really can weld. I love my buddies 140 for even Sammi sheet metal.

Kermit date=1368023979 said:
Once you go to gas you would be surprised at how clean it really can weld. I love my buddies 140 for even Sammi sheet metal.

I really should get gas, from what I hear it makes thin stuff much easier to weld. I had a sheet of 20 gauge steel that I've chopped up into many different projects and I'm just now getting to the point of being able to weld it without constantly burning holes in it.

zukiguy said:
I had the same welder, but I used gas . My buddy still has it (8 years old now) still works great. The whip has been the only problem. That little welder welded up a couple hundred derby cars. We were going through 2 10 pound rolls of wire on the weekends alone.

I've got a hobart 140 and a few tears in the sheet metal on the inside of my driver side door that I need to weld up. I've mostly used my hobart on thicker stuff, mostly 1/4" steel for my trucks headache rack/bed rails. Thin practice stuff is hard to come by where I'm at. What settings are you guys using on the sammy sheet metal? I just need a starting spot. Thanks.

Hobart is (or was at one time) owned by Miller.  I still have my Handler 135 and works like new after more than 10 years.  All I've ever had to do was replace the liner as preventive maintenance.  Mine even came new with a Miller gun.

Most would agree to get the biggest welder that fits your budget.  Miller and Lincoln are both top notch manufacturers but Hobart has a proven reputation of its own.

Jim, I just got back on here so I just saw this, I got a hobart 140 a few years ago and love it. If you are still looking and want to try one out let me know, I need another bottle of gas anyways! lol

skyhiranger date=1366238044 said:
I've got a Hobart Handler 175.  It is 220V.  Bought it new about 10 years ago.  Got the auto darkening helmet/hood (auto darkening hoods are awesome) and stand with it.
I run solid wire with CO2 shielding gas.
I've welded everything from sammy sheet metal to 1/2" stuff with it.  It works great.
The only issue I've had with it, is sometimes the wire didn't want to feed.  But I figured out I needed to keep the lead fairly straight and not coiled or at a sharp bend and it feeds fine.
I've probably ran 40-50lbs. of wire through it.
IMO, don't waste your time on a 110V welder.  The are convenient, as far as you can always find a place to plug them in, but a 220V will do a better job at welding most things.
Arc welders have their place.  But I doubt I'll ever own one.  Learned to weld with an arc welder and used to be pretty good at it.  But once I used a MIG, I never looked back.
skyhiranger i know this is a really old post, but if your still having problems with the wire feed if the lead isn't straight i would say you need a new cable liner. sometimes you can take the gun and cable apart and blow them out with compressed air, also installing a wire cleaner/lubricator after you get it clean or a new liner installed will prolong the life of the liner and give you smoother wire feed,
LubeMatic-RedPads610w.jpg

zuki709 date=1473971239 said:
skyhiranger i know this is a really old post, but if your still having problems with the wire feed if the lead isn't straight i would say you need a new cable liner. sometimes you can take the gun and cable apart and blow them out with compressed air, also installing a wire cleaner/lubricator after you get it clean or a new liner installed will prolong the life of the liner and give you smoother wire feed,
I use that Kleener Pad on my Lincoln 155 that I added gas to. I've had it for 20 years. Hasn't missed a beat. Most of my work is light weight metal, so I changed the liner and run .023ga. wire. Makes it real nice for thin sheet metal. I have a Lincoln 180 for TIG work and a Lincoln 225 Tombstone for the heavy stuff. [thumbsup]

zuki709 date=1473971239 said:
As long as I keep my lead relatively straight, I don't have problems. Yep, I have pulled the wire out of the lead and blew compressed air through the cable liner (it usually helps). I am a cheap ass, so what I use for a "wire cleaner" is a cotton ball and a clothes pin...just fold the cotton ball over the wire, just before it enters the liner inside the welder, pinch the cotton ball with the clothes pin.
I haven't really had any feed issues, since I started doing the 3 things above. [thumbsup]

I have a miller 180, Hobart dual 110/220, trailblazer and Lincoln tombstone (used to have a Hobart stick but decided I had too much equiment).  I would rank the Miller above the hobart, but hobart makes good eqipment.

Gas gives prettier welds than Flux core, but Flux core is needed in wind.  Flux core also has a worse tendency to your gun due to it it brittle and does not take bends well.

If gun is having trouble feeding look at your tip, might need to replace.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom