Hi-lift Rebuild

Lego Racer

Hi Lift Rebuild

We all have used a Hi Lift and yes they can very dangerous but a great trail tool that can be used for many jobs. Always be careful using it! One way to help avoid the failure of your Hi Lift is by cleaning and inspecting it frequently. Here is how I did it.

HiLift002.jpg

I have pointed to each nut and bolt you will have to remove. The pink arrow is pointing to a loose pin. DON?T LOOSE IT!!!! When you remove the bolt where the blue arrow is pointing to the pin will easily come out (more like fall out).

HiLift001edit.jpg

Once you have un-done each nut and bolt you can now work on removing the pins that hold the jack in place.

You will need a small punch and hammer to get them out. You will see in the following picture there are two red arrows pointing at the pins that you will need to punch out. You shouldn?t need that much effort getting them out.

HiLift005edit.jpg

It should now look like this:

HiLift006.jpg

To get the larger pins out all you have to do is pull them out. Once again they shouldn?t be hard to get out. If you have removed all the bolts, pins and springs it should now look like this.

HiLift007.jpg

I decided to up grade the springs. If you want to up grade the springs go to your local automotive store and pick some up.

HiLift008.jpg

Since these Hi-Lift's come powder coated and looking all sexy they have caused me some problems in the past with the pins getting stuck. I personally sanded the powder coating off the slides and pin holes just so everything can work smoother. I also noticed the larger pins had some burs in them. I sanded them down just enough not to have a bur. (BE CAREFUL YOU DON?T GO TOO FAR INTO THE PIN, if you do buy new ones. Don?t risk it!!!).

If you want take the rest of the jack apart by sliding the it up and off the shaft, clean behind every peace of metal just so there aren?t any rocks stuck inside the slide.

Once your cleaning is done it is time to install everything. It is basically just reversing what you have undone.

Put the springs in place first!! Then slide the larger pins into the holes with the tapered side towards the top of the jack. It will now look like this again.

HiLift006.jpg

(This is just a photo being re-used for illustration purposes only)

Pull the spring up and put the small retaining pin back into its hole. You have to make sure when you punch that small pin in you line it up perfect!!! Both sides have to be able to rest on the cast steel. I have marked them in red just so you can see it. If you bent the pin DO NOT re-use the pins. Buy new ones. Remember this tool is a dangerous one if used wrong. But used right it is a wheelers best friend.

HiLift009edit.jpg

Once you have done that and you?re extremely happy with where they sit you can start installing the bolts and nuts. Don?t for get to put that loose pin back in place. Refer to the first picture that has the pink arrow pointing at it.

Now that all that is done it is time to test your Hi Lift out. Don?t go and lift something really high off the ground. Just test it with a bit of weight on the lift. Make sure it goes up and down easily. If it doesn?t slide nicely take it apart and do some more sanding where the parts are moving.

HiLift011.jpg

If you still don?t feel comfortable ASK FOR HELP!!!

fantastic write up man... the only thing i would add is to coat the pins with either never seize or marine rated grease. you dont need a lot...just a nice light coating will help keep the pins free longer

Freebird01 said:
fantastic write up man... the only thing i would add is to coat the pins with either never seize or marine rated grease. you dont need a lot...just a nice light coating will help keep the pins free longer

Thanks a lot!! I agree with you... coating the pins would have been a really smart idea. But I head down a lot of gravel roads and I thought I would just be wasting time cleaning every weekend. I think I might try that dry graphite on them next time.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom