Hand throttle done cheap.

Jr8Fan

This has probably been discussed already but I am going to talk about it again. LOL

I friend of mine wanted a hand throttle to free up his clutch foot on his 79 Fj40.

He bought a new bike hand break handle and fastened it to his shifter handle facing the front of the shifter. Fastened it with the clamp, and ran the cable end to the carb  and hooked it to the throttle.

Works like a dream.I don't have any pictures of it, sorry.

I saw that truck on a DiscoverHD channel special. Pretty cool rig, and yes, the hand throttle caught my eye.

It's a Shimano V-brake lever off of a mountain bike. I don't know if or how he's getting it to hold the rpm, or if he just uses it manually.

I want one!

If you want to save the trouble of running the cable through the firewall, you can simply attach the other end of the cable to the top of the accelerator pedal, clamping it under the 10mm bolt up there.

D

flsammyfm said:
I saw that truck on a DiscoverHD channel special. Pretty cool rig, and yes, the hand throttle caught my eye.

It's a Shimano V-brake lever off of a mountain bike. I don't know if or how he's getting it to hold the rpm, or if he just uses it manually.

I want one!

I'm going to use mine as  a hand throttle.  My hand can quickly pull the lever to the right amount of rpm and once I let go it, it automatically returns to foot control.

I used a mountain bike shifter for mine.  It has adjustable drag (via a wing nut) so I can use it as a hand throttle or hands-free fast idle setting.  It works!

D

Good tip, Dowry. I was kinda fretting about the idea of running that length of cable, and didn't really want to run the risk of adding drag to the throttle. I think I'll do the same, and let the thing just be completely manual.

my buddy made his out of a t handled choke cable that locks. he can pull it out to say 3 grand lock it and go. he made a braket for his shifter handle and ran the cable down to his gas pedal bracket. he is still workin all the kinks out of it but i think its gonna work great.  it also doubles as cruse control going down the road not too safe but it works. 

Did mine the same too. Right too the peddle but I welded it to the stick. I can use the lock to set the idle anywhere I want and its got FULL trottle. Great for bumpin it up when winching or just nice to set it a bit high for the real bumpy stuff

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom