Gauge Panel in dash pocket (square vented dash!)

Hi folks, I'm new here........just want to post up this mod that I have been contemplating a few months ago.

I bought 2 Defi Blue Racer gauges (volt,temp) and I realised that the dash pocket next to the clock would be ideal to mount the gauges on a panel.

My goal is to have a clean OEM type look......... ;D

Pics by tomorrow

~All you need, is to get some plexi glass, cut to fit the dash pocket and, cut two holes for the gauges..........you can use a 2" hole-saw, use a file to slightly widen the hole and try fitting the gauge.

~For mounting, use small right-angled brackets and screw on the panel.......try yur best to get it looking OEM.

~Drill a small hole so that the gauge wires can pass through to the back of the dash.

*Also, you can use clear plexi glass, use some sand paper to haze out the panel, and insert any color LED light in the dash pocket to get a background effect [idea]

TOOLS REQUIRED
  • Hacksaw
  • Dremel Rotary cutting tool
  • 2" Hole-saw, drill or drill-press
  • Flat file, Round file
  • Screwdriver

You will also need Paint (if being painted), brackets, screws, mounting tape

;)

Ohh, this is for those who have the square vented dash ;D

First, cut a piece of plexi-glass the same size of the pocket-door/flap.
~Use a file to get the panel to the exact dimensions of the door/flap.
~File the top of the panel so that it moves slightly up and down when fitted (This is done so that the mounting brackets can fit on the panel and be stuck in the pocket)
~Cut 2 holes (2" hole saw) for the gauges evenly spaced and use a round file to widen the holes.
panel1rt4.jpg

Secondly,try test fitting the gauges......depending on what brackets you use, drill holes on the panel accordingly.
panel2kl0.jpg

Testing the gauge using a spare auto battery.
panel3wa8.jpg

Finally, Panel painted (i used black to get the OEM finish), Brackets screwed on panel.
All i have to do is to stick mounting tape on top the brackets so that it can be stuck when the panel goes into the pocket.
(background-water temp sensor mount in upper radiator hose)
panel4ut0.jpg

panel3wa8.jpg

Nice mod, Vivek. I'll bet you can't wait until it gets dark each night to look at your work!!!
                                                :o

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom