Fixing Rusty Rocker Panels

NissanZuki

Sorry no pics  . Anyway, my tin top had horrible rocker rust, rusted out so bad, nothing could be bolted, let alone welded, to the top of it. So, i cut them out, and welded in some 3"x4"x1/8"wall square tube. Voila! Problem solved, and I they double as rock sliders and hi-lift jacking point!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wire used: .030 Flux cored (welded outside)
Welder Used: Lincoln Weldpak 100HD
Heat Range used: A
Wire Feed speed: 2-3

Inches of 3"x4"x1/8" tube: 45.5" per side

Tube cost: $33/pair

Welded in with the 4" vertical, and the 3" deep.

Time it took to weld: approx 5 frustrating hours! Rusty old sheet metal (I cut out ALL visible rust, but the non-rusty sheet metal is extra thin so burn through are constant, needing many fill welds) is a pain to weld, even when u think u've got it all!

The WHOLE rocker is cut out, EXCEPT about 3" from the front of the rocker. This is kept for welding on and aligning the tube. I should have pics in a few a weeks (I hope). The back side of the rocker (w/the undercoating) is also kept in tact. That's left so Stitch welds can be applied to the bottom/back of the tube. All other welds are solid welds.

? Last Edit: Tuesday, August 16, 2005, 10:31:19 PM by NissanZuki ?  Report to moderator    69.21.229.15 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1993 Modified Nissan Hardbody (Trail rig)
1988 Mostly Stock Suzuki Samurai (Daily Driven weekend warrior "tin top") Part II (rolled first one!)

That pretty much covers it. I'll have pics of it sometime.

Oh, and might want to delete your IP form the bottom of your post...

How do u edit on this forum? I would if I could!

Still don't know when/how I'll get pics posted :( . At this rate, may not be for another month! But then they will be trail pics, and not driveway pics w/front axle on jack stands (replacing bearings/seals).

NissanZuki said:
How do u edit on this forum? I would if I could!

Still don't know when/how I'll get pics posted :( . At this rate, may not be for another month! But then they will be trail pics, and not driveway pics w/front axle on jack stands (replacing bearings/seals).

The edit thing goes away after a while....I don't agree with it, only pet peeve with these forums...

photo61.jpg

Well, it's all I've got! That'ts my Sammi. I painted the rockers and the bumper black, so they are kind of hard to see in the pic.

I'll prolly have to do this to mine also.  Got me a bad case of rust; rockers and fenders  :P

Cool to see some other Samurais in MN; hope to see yall at Gilbert next year  ;D

My first three sammys were from MN. I'm orignially from the twin cities, but due to the USMC I have a great rust-free NC sammy. That rust was so bad up there. I can't say I miss it one bit.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom