ECT sensor for TBI 1.6L 8v

Jim Blackwood

So the 1.6 fires up instantly when cold. When warm it floods and has to be floored and cranked a few seconds to start. This suggests that the ECT sensor may not be the right one for the ECM I'm now using. Does anyone know of which one works the best for this engine and controller? THX,

Jim

What vehicle is the donor from? Check the service manual for the resistance at a given temp and check against yours. I know with my speeduino install any temp sensor could be used as you'd calibrate across a temperature range and the ECM would adapt accordingly, but in this case you have to find the right sensor that will give the ECM the resistance it expects.

Pretty sure it was a Sidekick, like maybe a '91. I'm using the B50 controller I think. I've heard that with the 1.3 some sensors work and some don't. I want to get the right one but all I have to go on is the ECM number and the engine number.

Jim

Here is what I have so far for the ECT sensor, '91 sammy with B50 controller, EGR heat sensor bypassed with a resistor, no codes, 1.6L 8v.

1H and 4027: Good at cold start but otherwise too rich.

EF0105 or 73958: same but worse, went the wrong direction.

Maybe a later ECT?

Jim

Checked Rock Auto, same sensor specified for the '91 sammy, '91 sidekick and '95 sidekick. So no help there.
so I put a meter on the extra sensor and hit it with a heat gun and then an ice cube. Hot it'll go down to at least 10 ohms but at what temp I can't say. On ice it ran up towards 500 but not an exact number. So I tried shorting the leads. That forced it pig rich. Tried it unplugged, same results. Wired in a parallel 150 ohm resistor and that helped some. Same with the IAT sensor. At least getting into the ballpark. Think I'll try a lower value, something in the 50-100 range and see what it does.

Ultimately this is disabling the temp sensing abilities of the ECM but if I have to put a rheostat in and manually control it so be it if I can get it to run right. Guess I could always mount an electric choke element to the rheostat.

Jim

I am now seriously considering putting a carb on this thing. I can get a new stock replacement for a 1.6L Nissan for $65. About what two temp sensors for the sammy cost. I can definitely make it fit the intake.

Jim

Last edited:

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom