door handle adjustment

treksters

Howdy,
I thought I needed new outside handles, as I had to lift them all the way up before the door would open. Before buying them, I decided to take off the inside panels and see what kind of job it would be. The handles looked OK,and I saw there was a screw adjustment on the arm connecting the outside handle to the latch. Took it off, and found out tightening it made it worse, but loosening it worked! Got so excited, I did both doors, so now I have doors that open on the Samurai more like a real car.
This is probably a dumb post, as I am probably the only one on the board who did't know about the adjustment. I was so excited, I put everything back together without taking pictures.
I have the thin plastic pieces that fit over the top of the door, next to the window. They are in good shape, but one has a crack in it that I glued. It is fine, but is there a place to buy these? This is on my 87 Samurai.
Mike

Very useful info.  I just noticed yeterday that it takes more effort to open the door than ever before.  Maybe the handle needs to be adjusted...thanks.

My door handles did that same thing for a while ;) and still I didn't get it fixed yet.
Onetime, I took my truck to the car wash, the service guy ran after me asked for the key.
I said nope! Just lift it all the way up ;D

Good post up. I emphasize that the pictures're needed!

ok thats it! i cant soport this.,  so finally i fix my door handle cause i had to crawl through the back door every time.....  was too embarasing

so what i did on my broken handle was the following.

just grab your drill and make a hole through the D handle
now attach a screw to the driller
keep pushing  the screw till it brakes

after that use some JB weld or a super glue

thats all, no more waving legs on the back door :D

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Thanks, I needed that.  I have changed several handles on other Zuks, but it didn't dawn on me about that adjustment (duh).  Just ran out and corrected my driver's door handle -- no more lift until it breaks, works like new. Thanks again! 

That's great advice.

Mine aren't broken, and I was just shopping for replacements, but I see now an adjustment is in order.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom