DIY Front bumper for my Sami

amiZuk

Hi All,
My name is Ami from Israel, and I own a 1998 Suzuki Samurai.
I am looking to replace my original plastic front bumper with a metal sheet front bumper. (not tubes)
We dont have many local "off the shelf" options, and the available option cost 1/3 of the price of my Zuk :-), so I decided that for saving money (and also for fun) I like to try and build a DIY bumper.
Does anybody here have Plans or drawings with measures that I can use? maybe CNC fabrication files?
Thanks for having me onboard!
(Attached a pic from our latest trip to Jordan desert...)
Ami.

Attachments

• Top.webp
    Top.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 737
Welcome to the Zu Ami!  The Zuk is looking good, as is the desert wheeling territory!   [thumbsup]   Sorry to hijack, what is the rack you're using?  

[font=Segoe UI, sans-serif]Hi ZZZZZZZZZZZ[/font]
[font=Segoe UI, sans-serif]This rack is manufactured locally, by a 60y/o company in Tel Aviv. It?s very light (made from aluminum) and I customized it adding stripes of wood.[/font]
[font=Segoe UI, sans-serif]After many off road trips I can say it?s very durable and you don?t feel it in side-slopes [/font]
[font=Segoe UI, sans-serif]I will try to send a link to the manufacturer site. (If they have one :-))[/font]

DIY front bumpers are pretty easy to build if you have a grinder, an electric chop saw or wheel, drill press and a MIG welder.

I built my first bumper using the following procedure:

The hardest part is the mounting bracket which is basically two short lengths of angle iron that has one side cut to fit the profile of the outside front of the frame where the crossmember pipe sits.    Once the round profile on one angle is cut deep enough so that the frame holes are covered by the angle iron in such a way that the angle iron's other face is perpendicular to the ground.   

Once you have the angle piece positioned,  you can carefully transfer the position of the mounting holes on the frame to the angle bracket.

Drill the mounting holes in the angle bracket and check for proper fit.  When you are happy with the fit, take the second angle and clamp it against the one you just cut so that it forms a "T" shape, then transfer the shape and hole positions to the uncut angle.  Cut and drill the second angle to match the first one again checking for fit.

Now you are ready to tack-weld your main bumper piece to the angle brackets as they are mounted on the front of the frame.

From this point, you can fabricate lighting fixtures and a winch mount to your needs on the bumper piece.

You will want to buy a set of mounting re-inforcement pieces from Zuks Offroad (ZOR Heavy-Duty bolt kit) to strengthen your new bumper mounting system.

In closing, one way to make it easier to fit larger tires is to remove the tube extensions that the original bumper is mounted to.  The flat pieces of mounting steel can cut into larger tires if left in place. 

I hope that this helps!

[font=Segoe UI, sans-serif]Hi Ack,[/font]
[font=Segoe UI, sans-serif]Thanks for the helpful tips.[/font]
[font=Segoe UI, sans-serif]Meanwhile, I also consulted with Google :-) and found this DIY Fabrication community website with free fabrication files and drawings:[/font]
[font=Segoe UI, sans-serif]http://fabricator.cc/product/diy-suzuki-samurai-bad-ass-bumper/[/font]
[font=Segoe UI, sans-serif]And also this model:[/font]
[font=Segoe UI, sans-serif]http://fabricator.cc/product/suzuki-samurai-winch-bumper/[/font]
[font=Segoe UI, sans-serif]I like The first "bad-ass" model, maybe with some minor changes.. I downloaded it and already send it to some local CNC workshops and waiting for quotes..[/font]
[font=Segoe UI, sans-serif]I also like the concept of sharing and maybe more people here will find it useful.[/font]

Will keep you all posted.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom