Detailed Lock Right install with picts

geckocycles

I'm having trouble with the file size so I am busting this up into 3 parts. Here is the text. The pictures won't post in the word doc. I just don't know how to do this I guess. I can email you the full document if asked with full size photos if needed.

There is a couple of things that I would not recommend.

1) Don't use a golf tee to plug brake line. I read this in another post. Mine broke off inside the line after the backing plate hit it. Not that easy to get out.

2)Pull axle all the way out. Resting it on the seal is asking for a leak.

Detailed Lock Right Install

1) First things first. Put on your favorite tunes at volume.
2) Jack up Sammy, support with jack stands and remove wheels.

3) Put down cardboard underneath and get tools out. Tools needed are:
3/8 and ? inch impacts
10 mm line wrench
12, 14, 17 mm wrenches and sockets, 14 and 17 in both drives.12 and 14mm 3/8 drive swivel sockets would be nice too.
1? and 6? 3/8 drive extensions
spring loaded center punch
long blunt nose punch
dead blow plastic mallet
3 lb sledge
dial indicator with mag base. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! Don?t attempt this install without it! (unless you like to live dangerously and are a true shade tree mechanic)
3/8 drive torque wrench. 17 lbs to 70 lbs at least
work bench, lots of clean rags, rubber gloves and GoJo
a way to clean parts, safety clean tank, spray can of brake clean or carb cleaner, air blow gun
Blue Lock Tight and Silicon Sealant THIS IS ALSO VERY IMPORTANT!
FSM (factory service manual) and this tutorial.
Beer (for after successful install)!
4) Take Care of PESKY FLY !! This guy just won?t leave me alone. WOW I swatted him in mid air with my hand.

5) Mark drive shaft location on shaft and flanges

6) Remove 4 bolts on flange and remove drive shaft. You could bungi the shaft up out of the way but I chose to just get it out of the way completely.
7) Remove brake lines and E-Brake pins and drain oil. I read somewhere on one of the forums to put a golf tee in the line. I did this. The problem with this is my backing plate bumped into it and broke it off in the line. I tried getting it out with a pick, no luck, just pushed it in further. I pumped the brakes, no luck.I disconnected the brake line and blew it out with air. This worked. I was sweating it for a moment. I don?t recommend this approach. Take a ?? ID hose about 2? long and put a bolt in one end and slip the other over the brake line. This will keep all your brake fluid from draining out of your reservoir.

8) Remove 4 17mm bolts that hold drums to hubs and remove drums

9) Remove 4 12 mm bolts hold that backing plate to axle housing. This is the bearing retainer

10) Remove axles being careful to not damage seals. I had to reinstall drums and wheels with a only a couple of bolts to loosen the axle and bearing retainer (backing plate). On one wheel I had to hit the rim with the 3 lb sledge to loosen it. Be sure to put a block of wood on rim so as not to bend it. I didn?t have to hit it that hard, just a good swat.

11) Remove 12 mm bolts that hold your diff in and take out diff. I left in a bolt in the top loose and had to put a jack under diff with a block of wood under to loosen diff. DON?T RAISE IT UP TO MUCH! If it is stuck just put some pressure on the nose and hit it with the dead blow mallet. Mine is 2 lbs.

12) Bring diff to bench and mark EVERYTHING with punch. This is the bearing caps, bearing adjusters, ring gear to diff housing, ring gear to pinion orientation ( I lined up the flange hole to the case and filed a small mark on the ring gear to make sure the pinion gear and ring gear would go back in the same tooth. 

13) Now that everything is marked, get out the dial indicators. Check the backlash a bunch of times and rotate the ring gear and check it again. Do this until you are sure you are getting repeated results. Hold the pinion tight and rock the ring gear back and forth to get this measurement. This should be between .004? and .006?. Mine was .0075? or .18mm. I will have to make this tighter on my install.

14) Loosen but don?t remove 4 17mm bolts on the bearing caps.
15) Remove 2 12mm bolts that hold the bearing adjuster stoppers that locate the bearing adjuster and unscrew the bearing adjusters. COUNT HOW MANY TURNS IT TAKES TO REMOVE THESE AND TAKE NOTE. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT THEY GO BACK IN THE SAME NUMBER OF TURNS AND IN THE CLIP IN THE SAME HOLE!. (unless you have the means and tools to check for bearing preload, which I do not).This is assuming your backlash was within tolerance. If it was not then you will need to screw in and out these adjusters equally until you get the correct backlash on your install. If it is loose then you need to screw in the ring gear side adjuster one hole and loosen the opposite one hole. Each hole that you move the adjuster is .002? or .05 mm of backlash movemement.

16) Remove bearing cap bolts and then the caps.

17) Now remove the diff case assembly from the carrier.

18) Remove the 8 bolts that hold the 2 diff case halves together and remove top diff half.

19) Now you can see the side gears and spiders.

20) Remove side gear with thrust washer and mark it. Keep gear and washer together. According to the Lock Right instructions this gear and the other side gear will be installed in the opposite locations. I?m not sure why though.

21) Remove the 10 bolts that hold the ring gear on with your ?? impact.

22) One more thing that I did was to mark which holes have the long pin in and    the short pin side as well as the orientation of the block (top, bottom, right and left sides).
23) Remove long pin that holds spiders in and remove spiders.

24) Remove 2 short pins, Pinion Joint (square block with holes in it), last 2 spiders and side gear with thrust washer. Be sure to remove all 4 bevel washers that are behind spiders and keep side gear and washer together. You won?t be using the spiders or the shafts again. New shafts came with my Lock Right kit.

25) Remove the last side gear and washer. This is the set that will go in last on the install.

26) Clean up everything. Scrape off sealant of differential faces too. OK YOU CAN HAVE ONE BEER NOW. BUT ONLY ONE! Although I did not. I think I quit again. We will see how long this lasts. I?m sure if someone brought over a Fat Tire I would drink it. I am out and deliberately didn?t stock up before this tear down and this is the only car I have at this point. So this has to work. I do have my work step van but at 7mpg and 20? long I don?t want to make it my daily driver.
27) Now to put it back together. Tom at www.Spidertrax.com  told me to make sure I do a dry run first and check to make sure everything is loose before I put the springs in. Who am I to argue with the man. They are very close to me. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. LOL. They are very helpful and extremely knowledgeable. I am a total novice when it comes to these things. I am more familiar with VW powered buggies, rails and baja bugs which I have built many a racer. This is my first 4x4 toy.
28) Remember when I said to make note of the side gear first removed. Put that one in now with its mating washer.

29) Put in Lock Right drive member and supplied spacer.

30) Put in Pinion Joint and insert long pin.

31) Put in short pins.

32) Install the last drive member, washer and side gear and washer that was last removed in the disassembly.

33) Put top of diff case on and install bolts. No need to torque just yet. Just run in tight with the impact.

34) Turn over diff case. Put finger in side gear and pull up. Measure this movement with dial indicator. It should be around .012?

35) If it is loose then turn it back over and remove the 8 bolts and split the case.

36) Remove side gear, and Lock Right drive member.

37) Take supplied springs and put small spring inside the larger spring. They should be the same height and put them in the large holes in the drive member that is still in the case. There is 2 sets in each drive member. They should be flush with the top. BE SURE NOT TO GET THE SPRINGS CROSSED INSIDE. They should be both the same height. If they are, fill them with light grease.

38) Put in 2 pins
img
39) Now do the same with the other drive member. Check carefully for spring placement.  Turn upside down and see if the springs stay in place. They must not move. Carefully slide drive member down inside case. Pins touch springs in opposing members. Be careful again so as not to have springs or pins fall out. Grease should hold them in fine. Just don?t bump them to knock the springs loose.
40) Put supplied spacer in on top of Pinion Joint in the center of the drive member. Push drive member up and down to see if it is moving well.
41) Place side gear with its washer on top of drive member.

42) Put top of Case on with the eight bolts. Tighten these with impact but not too tight yet. They get tighten to 27 lbs. to 32 lbs. I found it easer to torque after ring gear is in place.

43) Make sure the ring gear bolts have no residual Lock Tight on them. Degrease well.

44) Install ring gear. Turn over and install with 10 bolts. Tighten them down close to 60 lbs with impact. The bolts will need BLUE LOCK TIGHT! Don?t lock tight them in just yet though unless you can hold the diff case and torque the 8 bolts and the ring gear bolts in a timely manor. With the ring gear on you can hold the case and torque the 8 bolt that hold the halves together to 27 lbs. to 32 lbs. It is still a bit hard to hold to do this but I managed buy putting the ring gear on end and then tightening the 8 bolts.

45) If you can hold this assembly and torque the ring gear in great. Remove the bolts and lock tight the bolts and torque to 58 to 65lbs. I could not hold it easily so opted to lock tight them in later.

46) Now slide the bearing races on the case bearings and set the case in the carrier. BE SURE TO PUT RING GEAR IN SAME PLACE AS IT CAME OUT IN RELATION TO PINION GEAR. Put the bearing caps on with the 2 17mm bolts on each side. Hand tighten these ONLY! The FSM says tighten them to 7 lbs. The outer races need to move inward easily when you put the bearing adjusters in. This is where it got a bit tricky. I don?t have a way to measure the bearing preload and had to just do it by feel. The bearing adjusters need to be put in the same number of turns as when they came out. This is what I relied on mostly. I had to tighten my backlash buy one hole tighter on the ring gear side. IF YOU DO THIS THEN YOU HAVE TO LOOSEN THE OTHER SIDE BY THE SAME AMOUNT! THIS IS SO CRITICAL! Once you get this done, torque the bearing cap bolts to 51 lbs. to 70 lbs and put the adjuster stopper in with the 12mm bolts. (7 lbs. to 10 lbs.). I used my long punch to help me tighten the bearing cap bolts. If I was doing more of these, I would make a fixture to hold the diff carrier better.

47) After diff is in carrier and caps are on, I found I could remove one bolt at a time that holds the ring gear on, put BLUE LOCK TIGHT on bolt and torque it to 60 lbs. I rested the torque wrench on the adjuster bolt and was able to get good leverage enough to torque it down. I know this seams a bit weird but I was alone and couldn?t hold the ring gear safely enough to torque it earlier.

48) Check backlash over and over again. It should all be turning nice a free now. Turn pinion gear and check for any binding and recheck backlash in a different spot.
49) You are ready to put it all back in the car now! It is dark now and getting cold so the pictures are not happening. I?m in a hurry to get this done. Sorry but I think you got it now.
50) Put a bead of silicone on clean housing. Install the diff in axle housing. Torque 12mm bolts to 13.5 lbs to 20 lbs. Do not put silicone in bolt holes. This will adversely affect torque for sure and could actually cause a hydraulicing effect and rip the treads out, although I would think this is rare and more of an issue with aluminum.
51) Put a bead of silicone on end of axle housing. Slide in axles being careful not to damage seals. Don?t tighten the 4 12mm bolts just yet. Put the brake lines on once it gets close enough to do so. It makes it a bit easier before it is bolted tight. Tighten the 4 bolts now.
52) Put on your E brake cable with the pins and clips.
53) I install the Speedy Bleeders on the rear at this point that I got from Spidertrax. One man bleeders.

54) Put on the brake drums and tighten the 4 17mm bolts down.
55) PUT OIL IN! This is a must.
56) I then went to bleeding the brakes. Once I got some pressure, I started the car and ran it in reverse, pumping the brakes. I did this to adjust the brakes. Put your wheels on and lower off the stands.
57) YOUR DONE! Good luck and I hope I helped out.

If anyone has anything to add to this please chime in. I am not perfect by any means and I?m sure I have missed something. This is my first and only time to date. Now to tackle the front! Email me at kb@geckocycles.com. I have much higher resolution pictures if you need them. I will put them on my website at www.kenbeach.com/sammy_lock_right_install.htm .

Thanks for reading this, KB

Good write up. I am planning on doing this soon so I may just use these words as a field guide. All and all was it an hard install?

This is for your fly.
ELECTRONIC FLY SWATTER
40122.gif

good write up

My kids have 2 of those. Touch it. LOL. Harbor Freight $2.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40122

I used my hand and got the bastard. I was very surprised.  Things just went right that day.

I like it when the bugs go *SNAP* and then start to smoke.

Sorry to take it off topic or is this still on topic? You did have a picture of the little guy. I would have named him Seth Brundle.

hammy_tn said:
please email me the complete file w/ pics.  Hammy    hammy_tn@charter.net
It is 60 mgs. and not in one file that I could easily send you by email. You will have to get it off the website. You could use Front Page and import the site very easily.

geckocycles said:
It is 60 mgs. and not in one file that I could easily send you by email. You will have to get it off the website. You could use Front Page and import the site very easily.
ok cool  thanks.  Hammy

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom