Climate control blower switch cleaning...

twdcmd

Originally posted by westcoaster

This is for an 85-87 suzuki samurai I am sure other years use the same switch, what ones they are, I have no idea. This will correct the problem with your heater blower only working on some speeds but not others.

First assumption.
You have screwed up enough effort to pull your dash apart to get the switch out. You would need to do this if you were planning on replacing your heater blower switch anyway.

Second assumption.
You have some fine steel wool and a phillips screwdriver handy and have already gone to Canadian Tire, paid the $5 and bought some bulb grease (dielectric grease)

switch002arrows.jpg

Remove the two screws (red arrows)

Pry over the four locking tabs (green arrows) to remove the top plate. Obviously if you use too much pressure you'll screw the tabs up....

switch004Medium.jpg

switch007Medium.jpg

Take the fine steel wool and buff up the copper ribbons and dots. Be careful not to lose the small spring under the removable triangular contact. The copper ribbons are nice and thick, so no worries about scrubbing them off.

switch008Medium.jpg

Apply dielectric grease over the copper ribons, dots, the triangular piece and the non conductive parts of the slide. and snap top cover back into place and replace screws. Remember the small spring under the triangular piece. There are different sizes tabs on the triangular piece, so this will only fit in the switch one way.

The dielectric grease is necessary to prevent arcing of the contacts when the switch is slid from speed to speed.

ZUKIMON said:
This is  a very nice looking write up, and very informative. Way to go. [thumbsup]

Thankyou, I origionally posted this a couple years ago on bc4x4.com.
I just now found my way over here and saw a thread regarding the blower switch. That motivated me to join and post up....

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom