Cheap and easy way to beef up stock t case arms

jerseyzuks

Start with a stock t-case arm, and clean it up really well with the wire wheel

DSCF0255.JPG

Next, measure and cut some square tubing to fit

DSCF0256.JPG

DSCF0257.JPG

Weld it all up (I added some additional bracing on top)

DSCF0258.JPG

Who says you can't make a pretty weld with a flux core welder?

DSCF0259.JPG

domba420 said:
what size is the tubing?

i need to take pics of mine i used two pieces of 3/4" x 3/4" angle iron. I laid them next to each other and it actually gives you the same effect with a lower profile...and adds a center rib to further strengthen it.  If you place them right it fits perfectly.

I actually twisted my short arm before i twisted the long one. I now beefed up my replacement (THANKS TODD!) by taking my bent one and cutting off the flange and welding the center of one arm to the center of the new one.

Jason

*UPDATE*
here is a cross section pic i just did really quick in MS PAINT just to illustrate what i did.

content

The Blue is the 3/4" angle iron, the red are the welds, the black is a cross section view of the T-case Arm

Attachments

• tcasearm.webp
    tcasearm.webp
    1.5 KB · Views: 1,686
domba420 said:
what size is the tubing?

I knew somebody was going to ask that...  ;D

I forgot to measure.  I have quite a bit of metal in my workshop, and I just happened to have a peice that fit perfectly.  I'll measure when I get a chance.

frwinks said:
looks good ;D.... now what's yer plan for the short arm?

It all becomes part of the Rockrat bucket.  The short arm has a bracket that runs across it and attaches to the bucket.  Once I get the whole thing welded up and painted I'll attach more pictures

Freebird01 said:
I laid them next to each other and it actually gives you the same effect ?

Thanks for the pics Jason (I was having trouble visualizing your setup without them)

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but why do you need to have a lower profile?

jerseyzuks said:
Thanks for the pics Jason (I was having trouble visualizing your setup without them)

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but why do you need to have a lower profile?

you really dont. there isnt much under there for it to hit. But at first glance mine looks stock until you pull the t-case.

i mainly did it cause i had the angle just laying around my garage...and the extra center rib was a bonus

those pictures are awesome and i have some great ideas for mine but im short on both time and money (wife bought a new digital camera)  i have some peices of metal around and il'll post what i can come up with thanks for the replies.  i love this website!!!

here are some pics of a new arm i just welded up today...the one under my zuk is done the same way and help up to me dragging the zuk in gear for 60ft

update: i just posted a how to write up in the how to section

Attachments

• DCP_1647.webp
    DCP_1647.webp
    57.7 KB · Views: 381
jerseyzuks said:
Start with a stock t-case arm, and clean it up really well with the wire wheel

DSCF0255.JPG

Next, measure and cut some square tubing to fit

DSCF0256.JPG

DSCF0257.JPG

Weld it all up (I added some additional bracing on top)

DSCF0258.JPG

Who says you can't make a pretty weld with a flux core welder?

DSCF0259.JPG

i have to say that i got so lucky i found that exact size metal tubing and built the same thing in the pictures in less than an hour.  i have already tested it and look forward to taking it up to URE next weekend.  thanks for the great help i love this website!!!  i will post pictures as soon as i get home

Just a quick update...

I looked at the date of my first post, and realized that I have been running my home made beefed up t-case arms for over a year now.

I have a 16v 1.6L, with a 6.4:1 T-case, and a locker in the rear (so there is quite a bit of driveline stress)  The beefy t-case arms are welded to a DIY bucket from Rockrat.  Last time I checked the t-case (a few weeks ago), there were no signs of twisting or tweeking. 

The whole setup was really inexpensive, easy to do, and has been really effective. 

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom