Changing valve seals on 8v

Redbeard

I decided to change my valve seals today so I checked my Mitchell labor guide book to just see what kind of time I was going to be looking at 5.7hrs. I had a hard time believing this so I read the chapter in the repair Manuel to see what the big deal was all about and it read that you must remove the front timing cover and rocker rails .
Well after looking at the top of the head with the valve cover off I saw that the rocker arms would slide so I removed all spark plugs and rocker arm adjusters. Hooked up a air hose to cyl. and used a spring collapsing tool to compress the spring and remove the keeper's I slid the rocker arm over and removed the top spring retainer and then the spring now by holding the vale stem I unhooked the air from the cyl.  this makes install easier. with the coil wire removed I rotated the motor so that the piston was close but not all the way up so that the valve would not fall into the cyl but it would drop 1/2 way and rest on top of the piston I then removed the seal and replaced it with a new one and then installed spring ,retainer and then hook air back up to cyl. valve will reseat then collapse spring again to install keepers. You should do both intake and exhaust at the same time. it only took me 2hrs.or 4 beers to complete this

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom