Changing rear Toyota axle shafts

Chris Geiger

I installed a set of Trail-Gear prototype high strength axles for the rear. These are designed for 86-95 Toyota rear axles. The fit just like factory shafts. I did a quick write up on how to change out the axles...

First Remove the C clip from above the retainer.
3.jpg

Turn the axle assembly upside down and slam the axle shaft in to the ground a few times. After about 10 hits the retainer ring will come off and the backing plate can be removed.
4.jpg

Neaxt push out the bearings and shaft seal...
5.jpg

Pop in a new shaft seal...
6.jpg

Press into place with the palm of your hand...
7.jpg

Now you are ready to press the bearings back in place. Flip a brake drum over and set it in the bottom of a press.
8.jpg

Slide a new bearing and the bearing retainer into place. Note, keep the beveled edge of the retainer up away from the  bearing. Using a section of 2" tubing, press the retainer down in to position. It just needs to go far enough so that the c-clip can be reinstalled. After the retainer is in place, slide the clip on to the shaft and use the same pipe to slide the c-clip down in to place.
9.jpg

Using a claw hammer, pop out the inner seal from the axle housing and replace with a new one.
10.jpg

Remove and replace the housing o-ring.
11.jpg

Slide the axle back in to place, connect the brakes again and it is done. It took about 1 hour to do each side.

How critical is it to change the o-ring and bearing? Also, I was told to put a peice of plywood on the floor so the splines don't get boogered up, maybe thats why it took about 1/2 hr beating each one on the floor to get the retainer off? WEAR PADDED GLOVES!!!! ;)

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom