building my own receiver mount front bumper

mudbugv8

Day one. First, because I prefer to be able to remove large components from my truck, I started building brackets. I used inch and a half angle iron, then used a holesaw to cut them so they would clear the tube inside the frame

e9fb9250.jpg

Then I used the factory tie down bracket as a template to drill my holes.

81d36938.jpg

While welding the brackets together, I welded in some 3/8 pipe as spacers to help stiffen up the brackets (shown better in later pictures)

3032c59f.jpg

I like having a bumper I can stand on while I work on my truck, so I made some three inch spacers with about a five degree angle to help level my bumper out.

e5f739be.jpg

Here's how I notched my receiver tube so that when the bumper is mounted, I can bolt it behind the pipe that runs between the frame rails.

11d0866e.jpg

7ac1220e.jpg

I set the mounts wider than my frame so I can use them for bumpstops for my missing links (also a good chance of yj's in my near future so I could also use them to mount new spring hangers)

216e1e49.jpg

Tapered the ends of the bumper (hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to cap the ends)

9752cb8f.jpg

Dry fitting the bumper, decided it's way too straight so next bent the ends back so it wasn't such an eyesore.

3c1a2852.jpg

Besides welding in the receiver tube, that's as far as I made it today. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish welding it up and paint it. Then I can finally use my new winch.

e862d776.jpg

703b47eb.jpg

d66eba59.jpg

85c7bdb8.jpg

d87ffce7.jpg

6c39c7d9.jpg

ae29335e.jpg

Not sure if you have done it or thought of doing it, so a little suggestion for yea.

get a piece of pipe or tube and slide it through the stock tube that holds the frame rail together. It will add some strength to it and the bumper for you.

I've ripped on off before and there notorious for getting rusty ;)

Good looking bumper, and I hear yea on the step up for working on the zuk ;D
Steve

GeneralChaos said:
Not sure if you have done it or thought of doing it, so a little suggestion for yea.

get a piece of pipe or tube and slide it through the stock tube that holds the frame rail together. It will add some strength to it and the bumper for you.

I've ripped on off before and there notorious for getting rusty ;)

Good looking bumper, and I hear yea on the step up for working on the zuk ;D
Steve

Yea, I saw another thread where a guy used a piece of pipe through the pipe between the framerails to build his mount. I definitely plan on incorporating that. Thanks

i really dig the idea you used to mount the receiver. I have been looking for a way to wrap around that center bar for more bumper attachment  points, this just might be the ticket.

I just don't trust those four bolts on the end of the frame, it seems like they could tear out on a hard pull. Winch and bumper bumper mounts scare the snot out of me too many Real life, and U-toob experiences with cables,shackles, bumper and winches flying. ;D

'Course the previous owner ground and welded to the end of my frame, I don't know how strong those four frame holes look stock.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom