95 Tracker Fuel Pump Issue

matthewsjames

Hello all I am working on my Daughter's 95 Geo Tracker. We drove it parked it at home and then went out a few days later to run it and it wouldn't start. I listened for the fuel pump and don't hear it. I have run the tests that I saw Tony on Highway 83 Suzuki suggest as far as probing power. We had power all the way to the fuel pump connector behind the bumper (the pink wire with black tracer). It showed 11.94 volts with the key turned on, the odd thing was that it didn't drop after the 3 to 4 seconds as expected. I figured that this indicated a failed fuel pump so ordered a new fuel pump assembly and once I received it got to dropping the tank and removing the failed part. Once I had the tank out and was looking at reinstalling I plugged the new pump in to test it and it didn't run at all. I again tested the power and had power all the way to the plug again but decided to also test to the connectors at the top of the pump assembly and there was nothing. At this point I disconnected the pump in the assembly and tested power to that point, now I had 11.94 volts. So this was past the screw down connectors on the top of the assembly but the actual pump was disconnected. I will pull the ECM out and look at it but I am very confused because power seems to be getting back to the pump but not running the pump and also it seems odd that the power doesn't drop from 11.94 volts after a few seconds. Any suggestions to help clear my confusion would be greatly appreciated.

The car is a 95 tracker, 2 wheel drive, automatic, I believe it has the 8 valve engine.

I'm going to take a shot here......flame away if needed.....I have asbestos underwear

Your battery is dead...... 11.9 volts is dead as a hammer. A good battery should show 12.6 volts at rest. 12.2 volts is discharged.

Give a new or good battery a try.

Tim

Check the fuel pump ground is good - measure ohms (ignition off) or volts (ignition on) from the FP ground terminal to the battery ground.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your suggestions. I have tried a few more things. I have connected the fuel pump to the battery with some test leads and it works (only ran it for 2 seconds so to not ruin it). I have also checked the battery with a multi-meter and is is showing 12.54 volts. I have removed the ECM and opened it to see if there is any capacitor leakage and also if they are swollen and that all looks really good. I did however see that the fuel pump relay was very very rusty so i am going to replace that.

Ray,

Thank you for that reminder. I did check it and there is no sign of rust or corrosion, thankfully. A very quick test seems to show that it is working. I will have to reassemble the tank and all i took apart and then do a longer test. I will update with the results.

It turns out that it was the fuel pump relay. I replaced that and reassembled everything that I had taken apart to test, etc. I can hear the pump run when I turn the ignition on and it starts immediately. The car also is running well so I think I am clear on this issue. I will now hand it back to my daughter until the next thing. Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions they were all appreciated.

Matthew

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom