6x9" in 1996 Tracker / Sidekick

Jeremiah

On my 1996 4 door Kick, I decided to go with some cheap 3 way 120W 6x9" speakers from our local Fry's. I think they cost $45? If I did it over again, I'd spend a little more and get 2 way speakers (as they will have richer low / mid response). But hey - for $45ish, I'm happy with how it ended up.

Peel back existing cover:

PICT0003-1.jpg

And, here's what's back there. I should have taken a pic with the little (5 1/4"?) speaker removed, so you could see it better. Around it is a metal "tab" that it screws onto. If you want bigger speakers, this will have to be removed:

PICT0004-1.jpg

I used my Dremmel to cut out the piece of metal I didn't need. It took about 5 min a side, and a couple of the cutting disks per side. Harbor Freight has a Dremmel knock-off "rotary tool" kit for $12. There's also cutoff wheels, and saber saws that could get the job done:

PICT0005.jpg

I made a template / mockup piece out of cardboard to make sure I got the placement right:

PICT0006.jpg

Really thin (I think 1/8") MDF - I would recommend going with AT LEAST 1/4". This worked, but was just a little bit too flimsy. Taped on the cardboard pattern I made to outline the hole that needed to be cut:

PICT0007.jpg

Installed:

PICT0009.jpg

I later decided I didn't like the look of the bare wood. I purchased some glue, and a T-shirt from the dollar store that looked close enough to my interior color, cut it up, and glued it to the wood:

M883012-1.jpg

Next will be to take the Dremel to the plastic I took off, so I can cover the seatbelt again, and clean up the looks back there.

Doing this makes my rear 1/4 panel a metal speakerbox - which is really bad. In order to get the best sound I could, I also installed some self-sticking roof flashing. This is a tar version of what Dynamat is, only - MUCH cheaper. Be sure to clean the surfaces well, and press the flashing on HARD & in warmer weather. You could also spray in ruberized undercoating (which is a little closer to dynamat, and probably easier to install). I purchased some pillow batting (available at the arts & crafts section in Wal-Mart, or any arts & crafts store - or buy a cheap pillow) and stuffed the holes with it before installing my speaker.

did you ever consider hacking the panel and installing the ends of it to finish it out... maybe using textured paint or Herc? just cuious.

The previous owner of my '90 Tracker installed 6x9s but screwed em to the pressboard panel. Was gonna do pretty much the same thing in mine, but I still want a finished panel.

Yep:
"Next will be to take the Dremel to the plastic I took off, so I can cover the seatbelt again, and clean up the looks back there."

I got too busy at work for a while. Now that we're slowing down I have time to get back to these "little things" I've been putting off.

you and me both. the Tracker has been sitting neglected over the last 6 months. it just got a "new" alternator and I'm gonna do the Subie brake upgrade. :D

Update:
I needed to install another set of 6x9 in another vehicle, so I decided to try another set of speakers ($80 Sony Xplod XS-GT6935A) to see how they compared. A few things I noticed during instillation:
* The Sony's magnet was significantly smaller / lighter than the Fusion. Generally this makes a speaker less efficient / loud.
* The surface area of both speakers was made of some kind of plastic. Sony's was thicker (by about 1/2) and much stiffer. The Fusion had a little give to it.
* Sony used solid color / striped wire, so it was easy to tell how to hook up the wiring (the Fusion required the 1.5v battery trick to determine polarity).
* I like Sony's grill better. It incorporates a nice rigid piece of plastic horizontally across the center that really re-enforces the protective screen. Given the gear & 4x4ing I do, I've already slightly dented the grill on one of the Fusion's (though, it hasn't interfered with performance of the speaker, so technically it's done it's job).

After instillation, I noticed the Sony's sounded a little more "hollow". I had to turn up the bass control to the 4 'o-clock position to make up for this. It also seemed to be quieter at the same volume levels (1/4 - 1/2). Given the magnet size, this wasn't a surprise at all.

Odly enough, however, I was pleasantly surprised when I got on the freeway. I never went above 1/2 way on the volume control, because that was the max load the Fusions would handle before distorting. The Sony's can handle full volume, and don't sound like they're being pushed to their limit. Thus they keep up with freeway noise - an area where the Fusions could fall short (especially with windows cracked, or where radio signal is more faint). Further, the mid / bass tones are noticeably more rich at those higher volume levels. When the rear's stuffed full with camping gear - the Sony's can be heard through it, when the Fusions were barely audible.

I couldn't have been happier with the Fusions at their price point of $30 (on sale @ Fry's). They're still WAY superior to the stockers. But, given the miles I put on the freeway & years of abuse to my ears - I'm happier with the Sony's.

(Of note: I listened to a lot of speakers between $40 and $90, and they all sounded about as good or worse than the $30 Fusions - with the exception of these Sony's)

I also cut up the plastic paneling with my Dremel & re-installed the facia. I think it looks really clean back there now.

Speakers004.jpg

Speakers003.jpg

Speakers001.jpg

Speakers006.jpg

I noticed I didn't have a pic with the batting I installed. I contribute the rich sound to this batting, and the roofing tar sheets I stuck to the inside of the 1/4 panel.

Speakers007.jpg

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom