2" reciever with stock bumper

geckocycles

Got rear ended twice by the same lady while towing the trailer. Needless to say the stock hitch plate was in the ground. I made this one and drastically increased the approach angle. 3/8"x6" steel plate. Had to notch around brackets and tank.
Now I have to get a light setup for the plate.

Attachments

• bent hitch sm.webp
    bent hitch sm.webp
    54.5 KB · Views: 981
  • new reciever sm.webp
    new reciever sm.webp
    29 KB · Views: 794
Nice job on the hitch, I am more interested in the story of some lady rear ending you twice though. What did she have to say the second time? Some people just don't learn very fast.

Could you maybe offer up some more pics of where you made the attachment's> I am sure this would help others if they decide to do something like this.

Thanks,

David

norzuki said:
Could you maybe offer up some more pics of where you made the attachment's> I am sure this would help others if they decide to do something like this.

Thanks,

David

x2  ;)

We were stopped in a construction zone. We were there for about a minute. Then I think she got distracted with her 2 kids, or was on the phone. She forgot she was behind the trailer and went to close the gat to my Sammy. She hit me and I was getting out of the "truck" LOL and she hit me again. She said she thought she was in a rut and so she hit the gas harder. She was in a van. I don't know how she could of not looked down. Anyway, she offered to settle for $200. I got out my laptop with the wireless internet. I saw that the stock hitch mount was going to cost over $400 with the reciever and all welded on plus install. I know that is high but that is what they cost new. $278 for just the drop plow. I know I can pick up a used one for free, but that is not how it works. I told her to buy me the new bumper setup from Zuk for $248 including shipping. She got irate at me so I called the cops. She got so fined! Double fine in construction zone, insurance rate went up and the next day my back was messed up and I missed 2 weeks of work. Inssurance company settled for $1300 for damages to Sammy and trailer plus medical and lost wages of about $5000.

What a dumb a**.  And I am glad that I didn't settle on the spot. I didn't realize how much damage she really did.

ALWAYS CALL THE COPS!! Never settle on the spot. You may have injuries that will surface after the addrenalin wears off.

norzuki said:

Thanks,

David
I just used the 4 stock bolts that held the stock hitch on. There were 2 bolts on each side that bolts on from the bottom (blue lock tite) and there are 2  5x.8mm ones that are on the side via a plate. I didn't use those because I didn't think they did anything really. I precision drilled the holes underneath on the mill. They fit much better than stock holes. I considered putting an additional bracket on the receiver to mount to the center screw threw the bumper with a small spacer to allow for the recess in the bumper. I have loaded this up and the lower plate, which is 3/8" thick and 6" wide, flexes very little. About 1/4" max down and I am jumping on it big time. I am 220. This hitch is much beefier than stock plow by a long shot. I'm not sure I want to bolt it to the bumper being it is really a body mount. It would add some strength though but at what cost to the body mount?
If I was wanting it more stout, I would get a new bumper that mounts on the top mounts as well. I see no easy way to use the top mounts with the stock bumper. I could add gusset material to keep it from flexing like a piece of angle iron running the length from bolt holes to bolt holes or just weld on flat stock vertically along the length.

I notched the bumper on the job with a saws all because it was hitting it and squeaking. I wished I would have waited till I got to the shop to do a cleaner job. A small bracket mounting to the center bolt and welded to the reciever tube will hide this. When I welded the tube to the center of the plate, it bowed the plate. I straightened it out on the press. I should of left it alone and then bent the ends horizontal and then milled the holes to mount it to the frame. This is of corse more work. Next time.

As you can see in the photos I had to mill out the plate to clear the tank. I also added a piece of angle to bolt my plug from the wire harness to.

This is only used to haul light stuff. It is a Sammy and I believe not rated to pull more than 1000# at most. Good luck on that even. I have a Harbor Freight folding trailer. It is light at about #200 or less.

Attachments

• DSCN1283.webp
    DSCN1283.webp
    16.1 KB · Views: 462
  • DSCN1284.webp
    DSCN1284.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 424
  • DSCN1285.webp
    DSCN1285.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 388
  • DSCN1286.webp
    DSCN1286.webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 410
  • DSCN1287.webp
    DSCN1287.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 494
Damn, I rear ended again last night. Again I got hit 2 times by the same guy. WTF. No damage this time, he hit the top of the bed of the trailer. Very lightly. They are just forgetting that are stopped behind a trailer. Then have a brain fart and try to close the gap to the truck.

One block from the previous accident on the same street.

Sounds like ya need one of those flags ya run at the dunes or something, mount it on the back...lol

YA YA
Or just let them keep hitting me and maybe I'll make some money. LOL

I got lights, the trailer is totally legal, just low and 8' long.

I thought that I posted on this. ::)

Nice work, and nice looking hitch man. [thumbsup]  Sounds like you need to do something about all the rear ending probs though. ;D  I can't get so lucky. :(

I really want a new bumper to pull my trailer with but this may be a good way to go for a whole bunch less.

Thanks for the pictures and explanation. Very nice.

If I were to do another one, I would cut all the reliefs on the front side. Then bend each end 10" from the ends about 2 degs.

When I welded the receiver on the plate it bent the plate in a bit of a "V" shape. I then put the plate with the receiver on the 40 ton press and I straightened it out. I had already drilled the holes to mount it so the plate needed to be straight for the holes to match. If I left it bent then I wouldn't have had to notch my bumper. This is more work though and a bit harder to get the hole locations dead on. I drilled the holes on the mill so they fit so well I didn't have to drill them oversize.

Thanks for the tips. I will have to do mine at a friends shop and his welder is down.....I have time to think about any changes I want.

I'll set the hitch up under the bumper and see what the ball height is and adjust to my trailer tongue height.

I would put the receiver high and use a drop ball mount. My Sammy isn't lifted that high yet though so it all worked well for me. Tongue height is usually around 17" but does vary.

Good luck and post pict when you're done.

Here is how it sets on the dirt digger......its a pain to hook up and the trailer runs down hill to it. 

It has been way too cold to mess with it and I need a new sawzall to cut all the license plate braces out then go get the steel and receiver.
100-0002-4.jpg

I heard that! It has been cold here too. The past few days were in the 50's though. The snow melted, I got my lights and winch mounted. Put new U-Joints on the intermediate shaft. Now the cold is returning. Looks like you live in a beautiful place.

I just bent my license plate brackets out of the way in case I needed them later. I can't remember how but I think I just hit them with a 2 lb sledge. I am going to just cut them out now. I got a sidekick license plate light ($20 including shipping) and mounted the plate on the tailgate. I already had 4 bolts on the left side of the tailgate from the previous owner. Not sure what he had mounted there. Maybe a gas can.

My biggest issue was cutting the 3/8" plate to fit around the forward brackets and tank. Also exact hole placement without drilling oversize holes. I have a Bridgeport but it was still a bit of a pain and a big mess. It did work perfectly first time in the end which really surprised me. It was hard to get a hole to hole measurement. I measured from the end of the rails to the holes then measured the distance from rail to rail for the total length of the plate. My stock drop hitch got bent very badly and I couldn't get measurements off of it. THe holes were very much oversize and egg shaped too.

There was a 2" receiver welded on to the stock drop hitch when I got mine. It was too low also. I already had a 3" drop ball mount which worked out perfectly when the trailer is loaded.

My dirt digger is ok yet and I've had it off before. It may work to use for a hole pattern, I'll see once it warms up.

ETA: I live 15 miles from Mt. Rushmore..... I like the summers but the winters are getting to be a pain.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom