16v Oil Gauge engine hookup.

rangerscott

Here's how I hooked up the stock idiot oil sensor and electrical oil gauge sensor.

Oil_Guage_Setup_1_%28Small%29.jpg

As you can see I used an old idiot light sensor to plug the stock 28 british hole because no one here sells 28B threaded anything.  Since I couldn't find a plug I had to use a nipple to get past the stock sensor.  These two holes are really close.  I had to grind off the edges off to allow room for the nipple.  Pliers were used to tighten.

Oil_Guage_Setup_2_%28Small%29.jpg

Oil_Guage_Setup_3_%28Small%29.jpg

As you can see the 16v has two different sized ports.  The bigger port is SAE 20.  For the nipple to screw in and allow a good of amount of threads to penetrate I "tapped/die" the threads with a SAE 20 die and this created thinner threads without messing any of the threads up.  Seems like every threaded thing you buy has thick threads.  These engines like thin threads.

Here's the stock plug.

_98_16v_oil_port_plug_1_%28Small%29.jpg

I use brass cause it doesn't rust and its a lot easier to re-do the threads without much effort. 

Parts consist of:

1 - nipple with threads to SAE 20
1 - coupling
1 - bushing.  Downsized to SAE 27 and I also re-did the threads to SAE 20 on the bigger side.  This brass bushing is in every harbor freight item that comes with bushings (compression testers, triple gauge set, etc)
1 - SAE 27 male to two female Tee.

The stock sensor male connector is bent because it contacts the oil filter when you screw it on so go ahead and just bend it.

Here is the 1.3L oil sensor ports.  They are both the same size but I dont know if they are the same thread count.  I could not get the plug out to see.

1_3L_oil_sensor_ports_1_%28Small%29.jpg

Its a shame that vehicles dont come with oil gauges.    With my 1.3L I had the oil light come on twice in its life with me.  Both times it was 3 quarts low.  That's scary to know that the engine can lose that much oil before you are notified.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom