1.6 Oil Pan Mod

NewSamiNut

Just an FYI

I can't say how well this works over the long haul (ain't had the 1.6 running well or long enough).  But here it is...

Much discussion of 1.6 swaps lately (as usual).  Oil pan fit is a ?must consider? for most SPUA Sami?s.

- The bolt patterns on 1.3 & 1.6 oil pans are exactly the same (in my limited experience) 
- The pick-ups are radically different
- And, of course, the capacities are different
- 96+ (OBD2) oil pan is molded to fit around CKP sensor (not interchangeable w/ 1.3)

Unmodified 1.6 pan in a Sami might be OK on the road (off road ? probably not)

For 96+ the 1.3 & 1.6 pans can be spliced together (Aftermarket4x4 has a good write up on this)

For the rest, the 1.3 pan & pick-up is easily modified to fit a 1.6 (hack saw & 2 small welds)

Here?s what I did with mine. (sorry no pics)

1. Cut about ?? off the mounting tab for the ?splash guard? on the inside of the back of the pan.  I used a rotary tool w/ a cutoff wheel. I also placed a strong magnet in the cast off path to collect the metal dust and keep the grit out of the pan.

2. The back of the 1.3 pan will probably hit the rear main bearing cap on the 1.6.  Test fit the cut 1.3 pan. If it fits proceed to step 3.  If not, smack the bottom of the with a rubber mallet a few times.  This will leave marks on the inside from the bearing cap bolts.  Using a hammer & drift reshape the pan from the inside out so it clears freely.  Note: bolt holes will not line up until pan fits over rear main w/o interference.

3. The pump end of the 1.3 & 1.6 p/u?s are a different diameter.  Cut the tip of the 1.6 p/u (above the mount brkt).  The resulting sleeve should fit over the end of the 1.3 p/u tube.

Option A (no welding)

4. Epoxy (JB Weld) sleeve in place (apply epoxy between sleeve & tube ? ensure good seal)

5. Cut the L bracket off of the 1.3 tube. Then cut it again so both legs are of equal length.

6. Drill a second hole in the ?solid? leg opposite the original mount hole. Using a metal loop clamp (think it was 5/8?) & the modified bracket mount the tube to the bottom of the block in the same spot the OEM tube mounts.

7. Test fit pan prior to fully tightening mount bolts. Adjust tube position as necessary.

Option B (welding req?d)

4. Weld sleeve around base at mount bracket (ensure continuous seal) then grind weld until mount plate fits flush with oil pump housing.

5. Pre-install modified tube & cut bracket,

6. Tack bracket on tube & cut off excess

7. Test fit pan & adjust bracket location as necessary

8. Install  tube & pan per FSM

Joel

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom