1.3L Starter rebuild

Genchaos

Part 1

First off this rebuild is for a stock starter from a Samurai 1.3L engine. I?ve taken apart and put these back together many, many times in one day. So for those having troubles here?s how to take it apart and put it back together. This is a starter I have kept to do this article and does not work due to the gear.

content

Tools required: 8mm socket with socket wrench
          Screwdriver

content

1. Remove the wire from the negative terminal ( put the bolt back on the negative terminal to aid in putting it back together) and remove the 2 screws holding the solinoid to the drive housing. (rubber and metal plate are missing from the pic)

content

There will be a plunger and a spring inside with 2 screws, a rubber piece and a metal piece.

content

2. Remove 2 small screws and the 4 large hex head bolts.

content

3.Crack the starter like an egg. A few light taps with a hammer or something equivelant will do it.

The cap will come off and then the drive housing.
content

content

4. Remove the armature from the housing and the Plastic lever

Congratulations you have disasembled a starter
content

Steve

Attachments

• Starter rebuild 001.webp
    Starter rebuild 001.webp
    27.3 KB · Views: 2,212
  • Starter rebuild 007.webp
    Starter rebuild 007.webp
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,931
  • Starter rebuild 006.webp
    Starter rebuild 006.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,939
  • Starter rebuild 005.webp
    Starter rebuild 005.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,958
  • Starter rebuild 004.webp
    Starter rebuild 004.webp
    21.7 KB · Views: 2,055
  • Starter rebuild 002.webp
    Starter rebuild 002.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 2,068
  • Starter diagram.webp
    Starter diagram.webp
    28.3 KB · Views: 2,239
Part 2

Check the brushes
content

Grease these areas
content

content

content

And using sandpaper or something eqvilant to clean and rust or dirt of any areas that need it

Steve

Part 3 Putting it back together

1. Install armature into drive housing with the plastic lever(wide side) attached around the gear
content

2. Install solinoid plunger onto the small opening of the plastic lever
content

3. Install sping into solinoid and then install over the plunger ensuring the tab for the ignition wire is down when the starter is installed to the vehicle. The negative terminal should be one closest to the housing (the one with the nut on it from disassembly)
content

4. Install the armature housing over the armature, making sure that the brushes are pushed in so they will slide onto the armature. Make sure that the wire is towards the solinoid and attach the wire to negative terminal. (the one with the nut on it from the disassembly)
content

5. Install cap so that the opening slides over the wire and the rubber. Install the 2 long bolts and use the hole in the drive housing to line up the bolt to the hole.
content

6.Then install the 2 small screws.

7. Do a "bench test" on the zuk by hooking up the negative and positive cables to the starter as well as the ignition wire. Rest the starter on something so it won't move and have someone turn the ignition. The starter should operate properly. Now install it to the samurai, cross your fingers and turn the key. ;D

Congratulations you have a rebuilt starter.

If there are any suggestions or corrections let me know and I will change it

Steve

Attachments

• Starter rebuild 018.webp
    Starter rebuild 018.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,806
  • Starter rebuild 021.webp
    Starter rebuild 021.webp
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,783
  • Starter rebuild 022.webp
    Starter rebuild 022.webp
    25 KB · Views: 2,018
It looks like some of those pics were profesionally blurred to protect the identity of the Snowman...  [smiley=biggrinjester.gif]

Good write-up Steve I could have used it about two months ago when I rebuilt mine.

Good pitcures, in cleaning the armature you need to use wet & dry sandpaper
also on the armature, you may have to file the very edge of the armature to get
it all even. just make sure to keep it round no flat spots. then clean out the grooves.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom