Skip to main content

News

• The UnZu is coming up the weekend of Oct 15!  Hope to see you there!

Topic: wiring: Ramsey Winch (Read 29724 times) previous topic - next topic

• norzuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • The Deer Stalker
Re: wiring: Ramsey Winch
Reply #40
I tried it again today and I can only get it to [release] the cable and not wind back up. I haven't tried to ohm the relay yet nor run cables straight from battery to the side post in the winch  :-\\\\
Loud Proud & Country By The Grace Of God !!!<br><br><br>

• dschwab9
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #41
But did you ever put that copper buss bar on you were trying to figure out?  Without it, you're only going to have power to one set of contacts, so it will go one way but not the other.

I think you need to check between those 2 top posts and between the 2 side ones with the coil energized.  You should have very close to zero ohms.

• norzuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • The Deer Stalker
Reply #42
well..........the small little bus bar I had to replace with some wire #18 I think. It's like a short jumper until I can make another one or find one somewhere  :-\\\\

• dschwab9
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #43
I'm talking about that "L" shaped bar between the 2 big posts in the pic you just posted.  There should be one of those on both solonoids.  I only see one in the pic back on page 1.  If that's where you put 18guage, you can't do that.  There's over 200 amps flowing through that.

Reply #44
hey this is shortizzy, zukizzy's daughter.  dad says to look at the above pic he posted.  it will show u where the poll connections go.  #18 will fry and cause fire(ah like fiire).  did u ever try jumper cables to get it to roll back up.  OK, getting tried of writing for dad. 
c ya
shortizzy
Team Izzy stock #13
Special thanks to RVMD, Procomp Tires, RBS, and Team Slowspeed

• norzuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • The Deer Stalker
Reply #45
Opppsss ......... Sorry Derek !! I have 2 of these selonoids in my control box. There is 1 [L] connection for each one sorry bout that. The little bus bar I am talking about is on the other side ...... if you are looking at the pic ........ the post on the left connect to another post on the other selonoid with a straight bus type bar that is made of copper. All in all ..............the 2 selonoids set side by side. There are [2] L brackets ...... 1 on the outside of each selonoid and in the middle of the 2 selonoids there is this straight copper bus type bar. I hope this helps buddy.

• dschwab9
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #46
Are you sure everything's hooked up right?  You got a pic of it all together?

Also, does the motor have 2 or 3 wires?
  • Last Edit: Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004, 05:39 AM by dschwab9

• mac
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #47
If the motor has 2 wires and it runs in one direction you have a control box problem.
If it has 3 wires and runs in one direction your motor may be bad of you may still have a control box problem.
I have some ramsey books. What is the modle #?
Mac
I got ZOOOOOMMMMM and A 1.6

• norzuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • The Deer Stalker
Reply #48
there are 3 small wires coming from the selinoids.

1- red
2- yellow
3- green

#1 goes in between the 2 selonoids
#2 goes to the top of one of the selonoids
#3 goes to the top of the other selonoid

model # is REP-8000 , but I found the breakdown online @ the ramsey site. It is just very hard to follow all of the wires the way it is layed out  :-\\\\

Reply #49
dude test the motor with some jumper cables. Hook them to the battery then touch them to the motor leads. You will get a couple sparks and the motor will turn one direction. now reverse the cables and touch the oppossite leads. couple sparks and it turns the other way. If not your motor is bad. but I gotta say if the motor turns one way chances are it is fine. now lets test that solenoid hook one side to one of the motor leads with a large cable like a battery cable. now hook the other motor lead to the negative side of the battery with one side of  the jumper cables. now hook the other lead of the jumper cables to the battery. carefully hook the posative side jumper cable to the empty post on the solenoid. If it is open then nothing will happen, so far so good. now take a 10 gauge or so wire, carefully touch the 10 guage wire to the posative side of the jumper cable and the othe rside of the 10 to the spade conector of the solenoid. you should hear a loud click and presto the motor turns if not you got a bad solenoid you can get one at any good auto parst store and they will probably have to order it. or try a rental yard they use those thing for all sort of lift equipment. As a word of caution don,t hold any conection long heat can buid up fast if there is a problem and you dont wanna battery going boom or other bad things that can happen and we have no saftey in the above circuit.

Now post when you are done with the above and let us know what happens we will get this thing working yet ;)

thanks
Wayne
Team Izzy stock #13

• dschwab9
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #50
Izzy, that might not work.  Thats why I asked how many wires are on the motor (but he didn't answer me  [stickpoke] )  Some of them have 2 wires and you reverse the polarity to change directions, and some of them have 2 windings in the motor with 3 terminals.  I think the REP series is a 2 wire motor and the higher end units have 3 wires, but I'm not positive on that.

Reply #51
Derek If you look back the first pic shows a two double pole solenoid set. that is a two wire  motor set. The only triple wound winches ive ever seen are huge 24 volt things that they use on tow trucks and flat bed haulers. I think it would be way over kill to have a triple on a 8000 besides my REP 8000 is double so is my HF and my 9.5ti. You and I both know how hard it is to diag.... things in this forum but we will give it a shot. I think we can get this thing going Don't you?
Thanks
Wayne
Team Izzy stock #13

• dschwab9
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #52
My Warn 9500 has a 3 wire motor.

Reply #53
a three wire huh ??? well like I said It is dificult to diag fromm 3000 miles away ;D. I was thinking about the test that I described above and I am wrong on part of it :-\\\\  since we have a normaly open 2 pole you have to hook the battery to the 12v input pole then  one of the other poles to the motor. then it should work.

I think

maybe

I hope

Thanks
Wayne
Team Izzy stock #13

• mac
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #54
David;
I was talking about the big cables that go to the winch motor. If the motor has 2 connections and the motor runs in one direction the motor is good. In a 2 connection setup the control box reverses the polarity on the motor to get it to run in or out.
In a 3 connection setup the control box swtiches voltage from the in connection on the motor to the out connection on the motor with the 3 connection being common.
That is why I say if a 2 connection motor runs in one direction the motor is good and should run in either directions if the polairty is reversed.
If it is a 2 connection motor you can use jumper cables to check the motor.
If it is a 3 connection motor you need to know which of the 3 connections is common be for you can check it.
I will check my books and see if I have anything on that winch.
Hope this is too confussing.
Mac

• norzuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • The Deer Stalker
Reply #55
haven't done it yet [cables from battery to motor]

Can I test the motor by just using jumper cables [only] and not hooking up the selonoids?

• dschwab9
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #56

Can I test the motor by just using jumper cables [only] and not hooking up the selonoids?

Yes, but if it's a 3 terminal motor, you need to hook it up right.  If it's a 2 terminal motor, it's good, no reason to test it since it moves in one direction.

• mac
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #57
According to my info and parts list the REP 6000 (which is the one on my truck) and the REP 8000 both use the same control box. They are 2 connection 12 v  motors. The Ramsey part # for the solenoid is 440110.
Hope this helps ???
Mac

• norzuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • The Deer Stalker
Reply #58
ok yesterday I did the jumper cable thing and the motor turned both ways ;D

a picture of the wiring

[note] the red wire between the 2 selinoids is that replacement for the bus type bar that I will be replacing soon.

note: black wire to battery attached to [top] selonoid [bottom] post

red wire to battery attached to [bottom] selonoid [side] post

is this right?

Reply #59
Its pretty close I think you may have thebattery feeds wrong but I will have to look at one of mine later today and post again. you need to get BIGGER wire for that jumper or find a new Bar bus for it. ther would be some cool fire works if you ever put much load on that 10 guage wire [nailbite] ;D

Thanks
Wayne
Team Izzy stock #13