Skip to main content

Topic: How to defeat vacuum advance and upgrade the mechanical (Read 18626 times) previous topic - next topic

• nater
  • [*]
Re: How to defeat vacuum advance and upgrade the mechanical
Reply #40
What grease would work the best on the pickup plate? Mine would hardly spin untel i sprayed it with wd40.

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Reply #41

What grease would work the best on the pickup plate? Mine would hardly spin untel i sprayed it with wd40.

I would go with lithium grease.  If anyone has a better suggestion feel free!   [thumbsup]
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• nater
  • [*]
Reply #42
Would assembly grease work or maybe trans gel be better or worse?

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Reply #43

Would assembly grease work or maybe trans gel be better or worse?

I have no clue about the gel, never messed with it.  May be a good idea to pop the cap off once in a while to manually verify the operation of the mech adv regardless.  Try the assembly grease and see how it goes.  It's just a little dab anyway.   8)
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• nater
  • [*]
Reply #44
To many options these days lol. Thanks beekiller
I ended up using k2 silicone compound from napa its good from -35 to 350f
waterproof, non freezeing, nonmelting, doesn't break down.  Many uses & says its for distributor cams.  I'll report back if i have an issue but i think anything is better than whats in there at this age on our sammys.
  • Last Edit: Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 07:08 PM by nater

• hjalbert
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #45
I did this today. I did not grind any thing,  I just replaced the springs with the black ones from the MR Gasket kit. I have a digital inductive timing light with a tach on it so I am going to plot the curve. Right now with no grinding and 12* initial advance I am only able to reach 30*. I will update with the plot in a few days with different spring combinations and after I either change the bushing or grind a little out.

• hjalbert
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #46
Well I guess it's been a few days ;D my dizzy is a 10.5.  I ground more out, maybe a tad too much for what I want, but the black springs let it go to full advance too soon. So I put in one gold, one black. With that combo I get no mechanical advance. Nothing, Nada, zip. I wonder if using the different springs causes a bind. I'll find out tomorrow morning. I may attempt two black springs on each weight. Or two of the gold, or I may add more weight. I called the speed shop today. 75$ for a baseline dyno run. Once this is sorted I'll head there.

Reply #47
Hoping someone here can help me sort this out.  I'm running a 91 1.6 8v motor in my buggy.  I've been running it setup with the TBI and using an FMU for my K03 turbo setup.  It ran good, but the lack of tunability finally got to me so I decided to try the CV carb setup.  I built my own intake adapter and got it running a week ago.  Being that my engine had the ECU controlled distributor in it I had to find a vacuum advance distributor to swap in.  A while back, before I decided to go with the TBI, I had picked up a distributor off of eBay that was labeled as one from an 89 1.6 8v.  

First off the mount that it came in appears to be one from a 16v.  Next, I've been trying to figure out why my engine will idle great, and rev through the RPM's while in park without an issue, but as soon as I put any amount of load on it and give it gas it falls on its face.  I suppose we just need to leave the fuel system out of this equation for now.  I put my timing light on it yesterday and observed what it was doing from 900rpm up through around 2500rpm.  With my base timing set at just below 10* I watched it retard to 5* or less as it revved up.  

So...I pulled the cap, and electrical guts out of the distributor today to take a look at how things were setup.  After looking at the pictures posted by beekiller in this thread it appears that my weights are installed backwards and wanted to see if anyone had any insight on this.  Did the foreign 16v motors ever come with a vacuum advance distributor?  If so that would explain it since their distributors rotate the opposite direction.  If the weights are installed backwards due to being from a 16v...can I swap them around?

Here's the mount it came with...

Here's the part number on the side of the body... 33100-60A40

With cap removed...

Electronics removed...yeah I know it needs to be cleaned up...working on that now.

Reply #48
Looks a lot like the old chevy weights. If the rotation is reversed as I beleive it is on a 16v, someone HELP!
Sorry! but if it rotates the opposite of a 8v then the weights would be reversed.
Looks like you need a little cleaning and lithium of electrical contact grease and see if
the weights work freely.  One thing you have to think about is that turbo. You do need some timing advance
with it , but you probably don't want as much as a non turboed engine. Detonation will kill your engine at higher
RPM's with that turbo adding pressure and then adding a LOT of advance.
In the "Good old days" a smallblock liked around 38* total advance. If you wanted street drive ability (smoothness)
You kept you vacuum advance, it brought timing in smoother and also helped fuel economy. When I went to a Mallory
Dualpoint ignition it killed my MPG's but the big cams I ran demanded Quick timing advance but not over 38* or pinging
or detonation set in unless you were running 100 octane fuel, which you can only get in smaller airports I hear a good
place to buy it, Not sure!  How long you been running the turbo? 
What kinda pressure you running, and what FMU? If I may ask! [idea]  
You may just clean up and change to the black springs and not modify for more TOTAL advance by grinding until you 
try out the Turbo setup.  I may want to pick your brain a little later, if you don't mind! ;D
Lastly I would think the higher the boost pressure the less room you have for increasing total advance.
Some times you just gotta play with it a little. :o  But not in public!! ::)
Picture is of my Uwharrie campsite before I got my Zuk!

Reply #49
With the TBI I was running the Vortech FMU with a 10:1 disc.  The injector really does max out and is your limiting factor in a huge way.  

It worked well, but the lack of tunability left me wondering what I could have.  So that's why I'm doing the CV swap at this point.

I cleaned up the distributor and reinstalled it.  It seems to be working properly.  I believe my issue the whole time was I was paying attention to the timing marks on my aluminum crank pulley which is a 1.3 pulley redrilled for use on a 1.6.  So...given that the timing is approx. 6 degrees off (this is what I had forgotten about) I needed to advance it quite a bit from where I'd been setting it.  Now its getting much closer to running the way it should.

Reply #50
I'll ask one more question if you don't mind and then I'll stop hijacking this thread!!
How long have you been running your turbo setup and how much pressure are you running?
Do you feel the increase in power was worth it?
OK I lied that was three questions! Sorry! ;D
Thank you very much. Turbo information is an up and coming thing to look seriously at. [idea]
But it's experience and info that is gonna help this science move up to it's place as a viable choice for the average
Wheeler! [thumbsup]
Picture is of my Uwharrie campsite before I got my Zuk!

Reply #51

I'll ask one more question if you don't mind and then I'll stop hijacking this thread!!
How long have you been running your turbo setup and how much pressure are you running?
Do you feel the increase in power was worth it?
OK I lied that was three questions! Sorry! ;D
Thank you very much. Turbo information is an up and coming thing to look seriously at. [idea]
But it's experience and info that is gonna help this science move up to it's place as a viable choice for the average
Wheeler! [thumbsup]

I've had the turbo on my rig for a little over a year and a half.  The power is absolutely worth every bit of work I've put into it.  I'm running 6-7psi.

• Aids10
  • [*][*]
Reply #52
Great Tut!  Hopefully I won't need it :P