Author Topic: Harley 40mm cv carb information  (Read 5567 times)

Offline devinshaw

• Wheeler
 I just got a Harley 40mm cv carb and I am getting ready to make my manifold adapter. I was wondering if anyone has the information on what modifications need to be done the carburetor. I need to know what jets seem to work and what other Harley parts I need. I have read that you need the stock Harley choke cable and mounting boot, What model do I need a Choke cable from and how long is it to reach inside the samurai for easy access.

Any information that may be useful to know when doing this setup would be greatly appreciated. I checked the jets in the Carb I got and it has a 45 Pilot, and 190 Main, I belive the pilot should be fine but unsure on the main.

Offline aaronbev79

• Sr. Wheeler
  • Where's the mud?
You need to use a dremmle tool to lightly widen out the throttle hole so that the stock samurai cable attaches to the carb.
Step on the skinny pedal!

Offline jamies85sj410

• Trail Leader
how are u going to make the adapter?
WHY HAVE A 1.3  WHEN U CAN HAVE FUN WITH A 7000 R.P.M. - 1.0 SJ410

Offline tony350

• Wheeler
You will need a bigger main jet ,probably in the 210 to 220 range.The 45 pilot should work.I don't use a fuel pressure regulator, just a filter with a bleed off. Works great.

Offline MN_samurai

• I live here!
if you plan on using the choke you will need to use the ends of the stock harley carb and make a new longer cable to reach into the cab.
WTB: Good running Swift GTi in Minnesota

http://www.infowars.com/

Offline Spinnaker

• Dr. Off-Road
  • What do you mean my wheel fell off?
I just took my CV carb off today to replace a few stripped screws...

I'll pull it apart and grab my camera and go through the mods step by step for you....  Nothing to difficult.

The 'fun' part was trying to gather all the info from various sources and apply it all to my setup....

Like I said... Give me a bit and i'll go over it all for you with pictures.

Tim
|______
/l ,[____],
l---L |OlllllO|
())) ()))-o-)))

Quote from: Pokey1
At this point, we diverted from instructions and started drinking liquor!

Offline prowler

• Zukaholic
  • Wheres the Mud?
would you guys say this cv carb setup is good for a DD zuk?

MPGs etc
Buckle Up! I Wanna Try Something.

Offline devinshaw

• Wheeler
 Thanks for all the input, I am going by the Harley place today to try and get some jets and choke cable. I am going to make the adapter out of a mandrel bent exhaust pipe and some 3/16 plate to mount where the stock carb did. I think I am going to try the filter with bypass method first and see if it works for me, so I don't have to mess with crappy little regulators.

I would love to see those pics and the step by step mods you made for this setup, I think it will help me alot and many others.

Online beekiller

• Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
  • Administrator
  • It's ok to be touched
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000717713271
would you guys say this cv carb setup is good for a DD zuk?

MPGs etc

Once you get all the bugs worked out it's great.   [approve]
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Offline devinshaw

• Wheeler
Well I went to Harley shop to day and got a choke cable, but the jets they had were too small.
What size pipe are people using to mount the carb to? It looks like the carb measures out to about 1 7/8 but that may be hard to find in a mandrel 90 bend.

Offline aaronbev79

• Sr. Wheeler
  • Where's the mud?
Well I went to Harley shop to day and got a choke cable, but the jets they had were too small.
What size pipe are people using to mount the carb to? It looks like the carb measures out to about 1 7/8 but that may be hard to find in a mandrel 90 bend.

Go to an exhaust shop -- that's where I got mine and it was a perfect fit. They bent it for me -- it cost $5.

Read this thread -- it should answer all of your questions:

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,81164.0.html
Step on the skinny pedal!

Offline Spinnaker

• Dr. Off-Road
  • What do you mean my wheel fell off?
Here is a little video that I made for you guys!  It's a quick run through of all the mods you need to make to a CV carb for the use on a samurai.  Good luck guys.

Tim

|______
/l ,[____],
l---L |OlllllO|
())) ()))-o-)))

Quote from: Pokey1
At this point, we diverted from instructions and started drinking liquor!

Offline devinshaw

• Wheeler
 Nice video spinnaker, that should help alot of people on setting up the harley carbs.

What are people doing to make the choke cable longer to reach inside the cab? I have the stock Harley choke cable but don't see how to lengthen it. All the universal choke cables I have seen don't have the small ball on the end to go in the choke piston.

Online beekiller

• Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
  • Administrator
  • It's ok to be touched
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000717713271

What are people doing to make the choke cable longer to reach inside the cab? I have the stock Harley choke cable but don't see how to lengthen it. All the universal choke cables I have seen don't have the small ball on the end to go in the choke piston.

I used a Sammy hood latch cable.  I slowly ground down the cable end ("barrell") into a ball which would fit.  It works well and is a nice length.  The only downside is there is no friction to hold the enrichener open that way, but with proper jetting it isn't necessary to use it for more than a few seconds.   ;)  Oh yeah, seems I had to trim down a plastic piece on the end of the cable too so it wouldn't hold the enrichener open.   8)
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Offline devinshaw

• Wheeler
 I get her running tonite and went for a ride with the cv carb, no choke hooked up and the stock 45 pilot and 190 main jets. It runs better than it did with the stock carb already, It idles fine and full throttle driving is ok but I think a little lean, the part throttle sputters alot so I think I need to start shimming up the needle and see what happens. So far I am pretty happy though, I just used the jeep fuel filter and no regulator and it seems to be fine. I can't do to much tuning until I get my header and exhaust on and figure out what air filter I will be using. I havn't done anything about manifold heat yet and it gets very cold and gets condesation on it. I am planning on simply wrapping heater hose around the manifold adapter pipe to the carb and hooking it up to the ports that went to the factory carb.