Author Topic: Half-cab conversion? From Soft-top to Mini-Truck? Pics???  (Read 5779 times)

Offline aaronbev79

• Sr. Wheeler
  • Where's the mud?
I'm thinking about converting my soft-top samurai to a mini truck. I want to get a rear door from a tintop and weld it underneath of my targa top...has anyone done this? Does anyone have pics of this? I found a few on the net, but I would like to see more detailed pics if anyone has some. (Of course, I won't start this project until I finish the current headache I'm dealing with, but I want to be able to drive my samurai this winter and I hate the soft top).

Here are some pics I found on the web:

« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 02, 2008, 12:35:56 PM by aaronbev79 »
Step on the skinny pedal!

Offline turbodrabbit

• Zukaholic
The top one is fletch, Norzuki's old rig. He is still on the board, and some old threads might be floating around.
I RUN EMISSION EQUIPMENT FOR A REASON!
1987 softop turned tintop,  cj's and E-locked toyota axles.

Offline aaronbev79

• Sr. Wheeler
  • Where's the mud?
All of the old treads that deal with the half-cab are pretty much useless to me because none of the pics work--and I need some more detailed pics before I consider this project.

Offline Joelypops

• Locked Up
quick fwe piccies of mine.. was dead easy to do, measure the rough height and width of the rear arches were the rear door will sit and cut a chunk out of each corner so the door clears the arches. get it lined up as best you can then weld it in, you will need a little extra steel for the sides as it doesn't quite fit in the gap but it is pretty obvious what needs doing..

Joel.
www.my-4x4.com  --The Home Of Titch--

Offline zukiowa

• Locked Up
just some pics i've hijacked

I've never even seen a rust free samurai let alone chopped one up!

Offline bluefrog

• Trail Leader
just some pics i've hijacked

Can anyone identify what those rear wheel arches came from?  I need something clever to get around all the rules while stationed out here in Cali.
Yes it's baby blue and yes I can put a tire on your hood.

Offline nunk

• Trail Leader
looks like trailer fenders to me

Offline dadstoybox

• They call me ''Bubba''
  • Zuwharrie Addict
  • He's pretty irreverent and makes no apologies
I don't care if you lick windows, take the special bus or occasionally pee pee on yourself...
You hang in there Sunshine, YOU'RE DADBURN SPECIAL

Offline norzuki

• The Deer Stalker
  • Zuki Guru
  • R.I.P ART ...... mission complete
  • Gmail: ZubTruk@gmail.com
Ahhhh...... I really miss my old dog Fletch. I am sorry that the old pics don't work for you bud.

Anyhow.........If you can score a rear tin top door it is a very simple install and that only thing you will need after you weld the rear door in is a piece of angled steel for the bottom floor area. After you weld the door in you will be able to tell what size angle you need. I can't remember.

If I had it to do all over again I would see if I could tie another targa in to the exsisting one to give a little more room up front. It was a little cramped, but not really that bad. I will see if I can muster up some pics later on today for ya.

David

Offline Whitfield

• I make NOMEX
  • Zuki Guru
  • never under estimate the power of prayer
You must be 5'8" or less to ride.  At 6' 200# I was too big to ride in it for long. 

The lower door corners of the HT door must be trimmed to clear teh rear inner wheel wells.  Otherwise, it is nearly a dircet fit.  Do not weld it, make it bolt in.  Running the back door and roll bar will take some fab skills. 

The old Canadian Mod was a HT rear door and a Chevette Hood for a poor mans Winter time Metal Half cab.

Offline bothebrave

• Zuki Wannabe
Do not weld it, make it bolt in. 

Good call no making it a permanent set up, what do suppose to use as a seal?  I assume the old rear door seal would work?

Offline Whitfield

• I make NOMEX
  • Zuki Guru
  • never under estimate the power of prayer
Swimming pool fun noodles should work. 

The Canadians just used the "Great Stuff" spray insulation foam.

You could get fancier if you want.  as I recall it had a 1/2" to 3/4" gap between the rear door and targa.  A long strip of 3/4" heater hose would work.

To get fancy you can carve out a seal with craft foam and cardboard then fiberglass it.  Or maybe just paint the foam / cardboard with bedliner.

The extra fancy sheetmetal work can get agrivating quick.

Offline bothebrave

• Zuki Wannabe
I don't know aaronbev79, I am not sold on the coll factor as of yet?  Save you money and time and do something we both know is cool, like a 3 wheeled car!

Offline aaronbev79

• Sr. Wheeler
  • Where's the mud?
Thanks Norzuki -- more pics would really be appreciated! Yeah Bo, I would love to build a three wheeld car...look at this beauty:

Ok, I don't want to distract from the thread -- so anyone else with half-cab pics would be really helpful!!! Thanks.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 04, 2008, 01:28:17 PM by aaronbev79 »

Offline aaronbev79

• Sr. Wheeler
  • Where's the mud?
Oh yeah -- if I do the half-cab -- I will probably fabricate my own smaller front half roll cage and remove the stock roll cage. That way, it will just look like a small truck from the exterior. Something more like the old half-cab broncos. I will probably do the fold-down tailgate conversion as well so that it really is like a small little truck. Here's a pick of a bronco half-cab: