Skip to main content

Topic: Swift 1.3 DOHC into a Samurai (Read 46362 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Swift 1.3 DOHC into a Samurai
Reply #40
http://www.dgtuning.com/ Also and cheaper but this is a website and no tellin how old it is. I see lots of stuff here that is long out of production. LOL.

Reply #42
You use the EFI, stock dizzy and ECU.

There were some carbed versions of the Swift overseas that had mechanical advance. Not sure if any made it over here or not. I heard they are rare but I did see a posting for sale of a mechanical dizzy from a Swift on a UK forum.

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #43
I was told by Suzisport that it would not work with a US spec EFI system.  Don't know what the difference is.  That's just what they told me when I looked into getting one of these. 

Reply #44

http://www.dgtuning.com/ Also and cheaper but this is a website and no tellin how old it is. I see lots of stuff here that is long out of production. LOL.

The adaptor will only fit the mk1 motor and this one you have foi d is n the uk the price will work out the same as the Aussie one
if you have a mk2 or 3 you need to use a Mazda dizzy cap and rotor button I used this on my mk2 motor and works fine I have a thread somwere on another fourm about how to do it I will have a look and copy it to here
vitara build going on

Reply #45
Quote from: "jimbo_jones"
I did the 323 cap on mine and my mate did the angle drive on his I think for the money the Mazda cap wins hands down but don't think for a second its a straight bolt up
the Mazda cap is 2 small and needs to be opened up with a die grinder go slow and keep trial fitting it its about 2mm that has to come of you will also need the Mazda rotor button now to get this to fit the gti dizzy you will have to crack open the gti rotor button and remove the brass sleeve, on the Mazda rotor there is a little metal bit where it sits on the shaft remove this and discard there is also a little lug in there this also needs to be removed (I put a flat screwdriver in there and snapped it out) then you need to enlarge the hole with a drill not to much the brass sleeve out of the gti rotor need to be taped in make shoure the screw hole is in the right spot as its a press fit and wont come back out once the brass sleeve is fitted drill a hole for the locating screw and fit new rotor button and cap

now I did all this but see how the mazda cap has the numbers on it is it the same firing order as the gti or do I need to swap leads around?  :?

vitara build going on

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #46
Long Term update:

After 4 years the motor is still going stong. Nothing has broken on it and the ignition system, other than a few corroded coil wires
is still trouble free. Still getting 25-28mpg on every tank. Pretty solid little motor so far and I am not always nice to it.

• ka4yqi
  • [*][*][*]
  • Now Retired, but watching
Reply #47
You had that in there that long? I guess I are to be ashame of not coming to see it in person. Guess to busy riding the
Goldwing. I still have all of mine and maybe one day will get the header on one of them.
Steve Arrington
Carrollton, Ga

• emc2x100
  • [*]
Reply #49
Hey! what year was the sprint thermostat housing and what did you do for the coolant temp sensor? Nice write up by the way!

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #50
I think the thermostat housing was from an 88 or earlier Sprint. I'm not sure anymore. I just used the stock coolant temp sensor and put a threaded pipe cap on the open hole in the sprint housing.

Another update. I finally got around to taking off the rotor and distributor cap. It is possible to remove them without taking anything apart. You just have to remove it like the oil pan pick up tube. The rotor has to be detached and you can pull the cap and rotor out as a pair. It's a little tricky but not too bad.

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #51
Well the time has finally come to retire this motor even though it was still running great. a 2.0 or 2.3 is in the works now.

My final words on this swap:
1. All the people who say the swap is not worth it due to torque have probably never done it or had oversized tires. I could spin the stockish tires through 3rd gear on dry pavement. It is miles ahead of the stock motor and I'd say even the 1.6 8v. It's a tie with the 1.6 16v. I can say this because I have them both. The 1.6 16v is torquier initially but when it starts to fall on its face in the upper revs, the GTi starts pulling ahead. You can't go wrong with any of the 3 mentioned motor swaps though. They are all better than a tired 1.3 8v.
2. Parts are expensive and hard to find at this point.
3. Adding power steering and AC is possible using a modified Trail Tough power steering mount adapter bracket.
4. Long term mileage average was 27mpg over 50k miles.
5. It's stupid simple to work on. Self adjusting hydraulic lifters lower maintenance.
6. If you have the cash flow, there are lots of performance goodies out there due to a decent aftermarket overseas.
7. It sounds cool.

Goodbye dear friend. Thanks for the smiles the last few years!

The End.

• zuku26
  • [*]
Reply #52
willing to sell ant parts off the motor? I'm collecting the final parts needed for this swap as we speak. I have the 323 disty but have no clue if I modified it right. I'd be happy to just buy whatever you used plus the modified header ect.
91 Suzuki Samurai 2wd (soon to be GT and boosted)
03 Mazdaspeed Protege #402 0f 600 mods...a few... ;)--- SOLD
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
2009 Infiniti G37x Sedan

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Reply #55
Cool!
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• melbakid
  • [*]
  • Sparky
Reply #56
Way Cool!! [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
There are only 2 types of Samurai's: Those we need & those we want!
9/13: Goldilocks 88.5 Samurai ST 29's on 15x7's
11/13: 95 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR Future parts car
2/15: Red Ryder 88.5 Samurai TT 4.16 TC w/ TT shifter, MKII, SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME Steering Stabilizer,