Skip to main content

Topic: Swift 1.3 DOHC into a Samurai (Read 46362 times) previous topic - next topic

• ka4yqi
  • [*][*][*]
  • Now Retired, but watching
Re: Swift 1.3 DOHC into a Samurai
Reply #21
All right on the emissions. Did they look under the hood? Right now we dont have to be inspected, but its coming.
Steve Arrington
Carrollton, Ga

Reply #23
If anyone else wants to do this swap I have 2 running GTI motors still in the cars with harness and computers that I may sell.
2000 Grand Vitara Limited (FOR SALE IN THE CLASSIFED SECTION)
87 LWB Samurai, VW 1.9 TD, SPOA, shackle reversal, ACME Hi-Steer, 33x10.50 Swamper TSL radials, Mickey Thompson Classic II's, ARB locker

Reply #26

What condition are the cars in?

One is totaled and the other is disassembled.
87 LWB Samurai, VW 1.9 TD, SPOA, shackle reversal, ACME Hi-Steer, 33x10.50 Swamper TSL radials, Mickey Thompson Classic II's, ARB locker

Reply #27

5K is nothing for a GTi, I had one in high school and used to spin it alot higher ;D

They make peak power at 6500 rpm with redline at 7000.

• ZukiJon
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #28

They make peak power at 6500 rpm with redline at 7000.

I know for a fact it'll go over 8K and hold up, but it really isn't making much more power if any at that point. I was hard on that car, and it never gave up. I was a kid, whatdya expect, I had fun but know better now. I'd love to have another as a DD.

Reply #29
I have one as a daily driver that is super clean and has the rare Suzuki 7 spoke alloys.

• ZukiJon
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #30

I have one as a daily driver that is super clean and has the rare Suzuki 7 spoke alloys.

I plan on buying one within the next year. I almost put my Zuk up for sale recently, and planned on buying something with a dreaded payment. I've decided to kep the Zuk and put the money that I'd put out on a car payment aside and in about 8 to 10 months I'll be able to get a really clean Swift GTi (with no payment!) ;D.

Reply #31

I plan on buying one within the next year. I almost put my Zuk up for sale recently, and planned on buying something with a dreaded payment. I've decided to kep the Zuk and put the money that I'd put out on a car payment aside and in about 8 to 10 months I'll be able to get a really clean Swift GTi (with no payment!) ;D.

Smart man!!!

• zuku26
  • [*]
Reply #32
subbin'
91 Suzuki Samurai 2wd (soon to be GT and boosted)
03 Mazdaspeed Protege #402 0f 600 mods...a few... ;)--- SOLD
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
2009 Infiniti G37x Sedan

• augeter
  • [*][*]
Reply #33
I have thought about this also. My question is the timing belt cover seems to be missing on most of the DOHC Swift conversions. Is there a problem using the stock timing cover? Out in the sand of Nevada the sand eats up pulleys and gears pretty fast without a good cover. I found this out on my first Samurai.
"It seems common sense isn't very common anymore" Eustance 2012
Batteries not included, Your mileage will vary.

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #35
Just an update.  It's been almost a year since I did the swap and I drive it everyday.  I've put roughly 8k miles on it.  I'm getting an average of 28mpg which doesn't make sense to me considering what they get in the swift body, but I guess the added weight and drivetrain loss, coupled with the lack of aerodynamics makes it hard to get any better.  No major problems so far.  I've had some oil leaks and an idle issue that turned out to be a vaccum line hooked up wrong.  I can't say enough good things about it though. This motor should have been a factory option.  :)

Reply #36
my mate and I did this conversion in his zook

we used the stock sammi dizzy with a angle drive adaptor

vitara build going on

Reply #37
I was just about to ask you where you got your right angle disty adapter from when I noticed you're an Aussie. Got any deals on those adapters for us Yanks? I'll gladly take a used one for a good price!
(BTW: Nice pics, and...if the Swift block is the same as the Sammi block why is the Swift engine always leaning to the right on this swap?)

Reply #38
the block is the same but the head angles down if you look at the manafold the top sits flat this motor came out of a 89 gti swift here in Australia the we cut the origanal thermostate housing and rewelded it so it points to the right and ran a brass pipe under the maifold for a factory look the angle drive adptor can be bought here in aust for $400 aus
vitara build going on