Author Topic: Most horsepower 4 cylinder engine with the lowest weight .  (Read 39738 times)

Offline sammi_davis

• On the run
  • Zuki Guru
 I found a Solstice turbo motor cheap , need to figure out the weight though . This got me to thinking whats the most power for the least weight ? The evo motor looks chunky , as does the SRT 4 .

I suspect the winner may be a turboed Zuk jdm engine . Just curious to whether or not anyone else has looked into this . I will do some more digging to see what else I can find .
Yes I look like Fred

Offline ZUKIMON

• Krew Krawlers
  • Krew Krawlers
  • Crawlin' while you were still in diapers!
I still like the 2.3 that Ford used back in the day. I don't think they are that heavy,and they make gobs of power and tourqe.

I have a great wife. ;)

Offline ddement

• MALL MASTER !!!
  • Moderators
  • Mall Master
 The ecotec from the solstice would be nice in a zuk but it is a little long and will be a tight fit.

The top one is the composite blocked turbo motor that was in the castrol fiero pro stock car. I think it was around 900 HP and was spanking the big V-8s until they outlawed it.

Offline samurota

• Krew-Krawlers Mountain Division
  • Zukimons and Beekillers Paw-Paw

Offline jimmyr

• I live here!
I still like the 2.3 that Ford used back in the day. I don't think they are that heavy,and they make gobs of power and tourqe.

I can't remember the numbers, but I looked into this a few years ago. the turbo 2.3 from the svo stang & t-bird weighed the same as the 302.

Offline grsjax

• Trail Leader
Not a four cylinder but the Mazda rotary engine has a very high power to weight ratio.
No matter how thin you slice it, its still baloney

Offline Isaiah

• Zukaholic
What about a Honda VTEC engine?
1 Corinthians 13:4

Offline HUMZUKI

• Zukaholic
IV got everythign nI need to turbo my 1.6 8v in my tin top just havent messed with it yet....hers a linke to the thread I was talking about it on

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=988.0

Ive got a rebuilt 2.5 Turbo Mitsubishi 4 banger ready for my soft top that needs to get in there too. Things heavy but NO WAY as heavy as..say  the 4.3 I have too but its probably almost double the weight of the zuki engine BUT should be easily capable of 200-250 with just a boost controller and maybe upgraded IC.

Check out this guys set up

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=681134

IF you go on teamswift.com you see planty of turbo zuki engines (mainly 16V 1.3's) putting out 200-250HP with basicly stock weight aside from the turbo stuff obviously

But YEA Id probably say turbo rotory. Havent you ever seen the rotory drag sammys with wheelie bars and pulling HUGE wheelies in 2nd even 3rd gear without bars
I wont be done with this till it does wheelies!!!,,,,,,No,Seriously.

Offline fart box

• I live here!
What about a Honda VTEC engine?
they make good HP  but have really low torque
"sounds like good advice, I pump septic tanks and the wife is a 911 dispatcher.  Everybody craps and the crime rate is up so our jobs are safe for now." Durnzuki

Offline HUMZUKI

• Zukaholic
they make good HP  but have really low torque

And Honda's rotate the opposite direction :P

Offline fart box

• I live here!

And Honda's rotate the opposite direction :P
the older ones did but the newer ones(99 and newer i think) rotate clockwise now, if you get a k20 it would be good for a sandrail dune buggy or something that doesnt need a whole lotta torque but high rpm HP

CORRECTION: 2001 and newer... i just checked
"sounds like good advice, I pump septic tanks and the wife is a 911 dispatcher.  Everybody craps and the crime rate is up so our jobs are safe for now." Durnzuki

Offline HUMZUKI

• Zukaholic
Thats cool then ;D GEt a late model v-tech and turbo it!!

Offline loveofjazz

• Sheep Herder/Sheep Pimp
  • Zukaholic
How about a toy 3tc  oldsckool ;D
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/te27-1971-toyota-corolla-turbo-3tc_76291.htm

I looked into that for a while. Seems like it's almost as hard around here to find a decent 3TC as it is to find a decent 1.3 Sami engine.

...still keeping my eyes open for a donor car, though...y'know...just in case   ;D
"To hear many religious people talk, one would think God created the torso, head, legs and arms, but the devil slapped on the genitals..." - Don Schrader

Offline Jigsaw

• Designated Hater President of the Zu Crew frequent fliers club.
  • Zuwharrie Addict
  • Uwharrie Rock Mafia Zu Crew rescue team
How about a toy 3tc  oldsckool
 ;D
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/te27-1971-toyota-corolla-turbo-3tc_76291.htm

You can build the snot out of those motors......... and they'll hold up
Yeah I wheel a TJ, but I make it look so easy doing it

Bwahahahahahahaha Josh is so mild mannered  :-X<b

Offline sammi_davis

• On the run
  • Zuki Guru
 The RX-7 motors seem to be the most bang for the buck ... I wonder what they weigh ? Have to go surf one of the mazda boards .
Yes I look like Fred

Offline msmoke

• Zuki Guru
  • PAFOA.ORG - OPENCARRY.ORG
I dun know about 4 cylinders but i know yamaha makes a v6 engine that came in ford taurus's between 1990 and 1995
Them puppies put out some HP and torque. And they are quite small (smaller then a 3.8 or 4.3 from what i remember at the junkyard)

I am thinking 220 HP and 200-215 ft lbs out of a 3.0 liter DOHC v6.

Mating it to a transmission may be interesting as i have never seen this swap done by anybody.

But this is completely off topic. Back to your regularly scheduled program.
Every right you don't exercise is one you wont miss when they take it away.

Offline ddement

• MALL MASTER !!!
  • Moderators
  • Mall Master
I dun know about 4 cylinders but i know yamaha makes a v6 engine that came in ford taurus's between 1990 and 1995
Them puppies put out some HP and torque. And they are quite small (smaller then a 3.8 or 4.3 from what i remember at the junkyard)

Mating it to a transmission may be interesting as i have never seen this swap done by anybody.

I looked into that swap but it is not a small motor and parts were real expensive.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 14, 2008, 12:38:21 AM by ddement »

Offline HUMZUKI

• Zukaholic

YAMAHA makes car engines? Thats the first I ever heard of that

Offline jimmyr

• I live here!

YAMAHA makes car engines? Thats the first I ever heard of that

the Taurus SHO. the newer taurus has an aluminum v8.  for a while ford had a ranger (exutive toy) running around with that motor in it.

Offline HUMZUKI

• Zukaholic
the Taurus SHO. the newer taurus has an aluminum v8.  for a while ford had a ranger (exutive toy) running around with that motor in it.
Really...cool. A friend of mine in west palm Fl had a SHO taurus thing whooped a Vet and there were 3 of us in the car