Technical > Samurai Tech

Samurai Clutch Adjustment

<< < (2/2)

Surly:

--- Quote from: Gold$bazooka on Thursday, March 20, 2008, 02:11:03 AM ---...they have all done it when you let off the clutch in neutral
--- End quote ---

That's not what I'm talking about... I'm talking about Niteryder's problem (and I thought you were too):

--- Quote from: Niteryder on Wednesday, March 19, 2008, 10:50:34 AM ---...there was a horrible noise every time you pressed and let-go of the clutch pedal.
--- End quote ---

Mine doesn't make any noise when the pedal goes down and up, and very little foot pressure is required. How did I do it?
1) make sure the throwout bearing fork isn't worn or twisted, and the roll pin that holds the bearing isn't broken.
2) make sure the bushings that support the fork in the bellhousing aren't worn out.
3) make sure the throwout bearing slides back and forth freely on the input shaft bearing retainer.
4) Make sure the ground strap from the distributor housing to the firewall is in good shape. If it isn't, the starter will pull current through the clutch cable and burn it up (literally).
5) Always use a genuine Suzuki OEM replacement clutch cable

Phytotoxic:
X2 when done properly no noise

Zukifever:

--- Quote from: Surly on Thursday, March 20, 2008, 08:06:33 AM ---
5) Always use a genuine Suzuki OEM replacement clutch cable

--- End quote ---

I can't stress this enough. Buy it once, or buy the others three or four times.

Skyman:
I've had two non OEM, cheap replacement clutch cables cause that same problem (three if you count the first one I replaced). A lot of times the cheap ones get a kink in them.

The pedal moves smooth (but hard to press) until the sheath on the cable is compressed as far as it can, then it gives and the clutch drops. I diagnosed mine by having my boy work the clutch in and out while running my hand down the cable from the firewall to the clutch. I felt a certain spot where the sheath was stretching before that point it felt fine.

Try replacing the clutch cable with a Good OEM one, adjusting it per FSM , and routing the cable so it doesn't happen again. BTW when adjusting the cable at the clutch, don't "twist the cable" as you tighten it up. It's probably time to replace it anyways if you had to lube it to  get rid of the noise.

Surly's post is awesome information, and he's been around samurai's a while :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version