Author Topic: Lift For 1997 Geo Tracker 2Dr.  (Read 5569 times)

Offline Mudd Gremlin 16V

I have  a 1997 Geo Tracker With A 1.6 16valve My buddy has a 1988 Sammy lifted a little over 6" with 31's I would like to get mine around the same height and not spend a mint in the process. He has leaf springs witch makes it easy and cheap were on the other hand i have coils. Is there any one that could give me some advice.?
It's Not The Size Of The Dog In The Fight! But The Size Of The Fight In The Dog!

Offline Low Range

The 2 major lifts companies out there for the trackers and sidekicks are RRO and Calmini if you want to buy a lift for it
but i have heard Calmini 's rides stiff, never rode in one though. ;D
« Last Edit: Friday, July 29, 2005, 07:05:56 PM by zuk2liter »
Low Range Off Road Logo" width="250" height="100

Offline brotherjack

• Zukaholic
  • Jesus is the answer.
I have  a 1997 Geo Tracker With A 1.6 16valve My buddy has a 1988 Sammy lifted a little over 6" with 31's I would like to get mine around the same height and not spend a mint in the process. He has leaf springs witch makes it easy and cheap were on the other hand i have coils. Is there any one that could give me some advice.?

You can do the following cheap and without too much hassle:

2 inch body lift
1.5 inch suspension lift
Massage the fender lip with a hammer (or trim it with a grinder).
Get some tires with 3.5-ish inches of backspacing, throw on your 31x10.5's and let er rip.

Or if you're handy with a wrench and ambitious, talk to Whitfield, and ask him how to fit 36's under a Track/Kick.    ;D

"...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

Offline brotherjack

• Zukaholic
  • Jesus is the answer.
The 2 major lifts companies out there for the trackers and sidekicks are RRO and Calmini if you want to buy a lift for it
but i have heard Calmini 's rides stiff, never rode in one though. ;D

Just to add another vendor to the mix, BDS makes a 2 inch lift too http://www.bds-suspension.com/suspensionsystems_2suzuki.html and a bodylift as well, but the bodylift says it's only for 89-95, so dunno if it'll go on a 96+ ??   

Offline Tim

• I live here!
what about a 3inch calmini body lift....i saw someone on cardomain that had a 3inch body lift and 30 inch mt's....im thinking that route + spacers for 31's....also it says on rro's website that you can get extended shifters or what ever..... i need to know more about this myself

im at that point where i can afford calmini but idk if really want 6 inches of lift on the tracker......

sorry if i hijacked somewhat :(
88 zuk w/flex inside

Offline brotherjack

• Zukaholic
  • Jesus is the answer.
what about a 3inch calmini body lift....i saw someone on cardomain that had a 3inch body lift and 30 inch mt's....im thinking that route + spacers for 31's....also it says on rro's website that you can get extended shifters or what ever..... i need to know more about this myself

im at that point where i can afford calmini but idk if really want 6 inches of lift on the tracker......

sorry if i hijacked somewhat :(

Just food for thought - 3 inches of body lift + 30 inch tires means you'd have less ground clearance than me on 235's with 1 inch suspension lift (which cost me less than $20 - see other thread).      ;D     

Offline Whitfield

• I make NOMEX
  • never under estimate the power of prayer
I like the 2" spring spacers & cut fenders...   ( less then $100)

I'm on 33's right now rubb the backs of the front fenders at good turn on flat ground.  Soon to adda 2" body lift and step up to 34's and 5.13:1's (I'm currently 4.30:1).  After the 2" body I will do the front end widening (Step the front tires forward 1") and then recheck the front for clearance and trim where ever is not clear.

Rear is now cut too.   Next is to make the rear innerfender massage back into the outer. 

No recent pics.   

I would cut 2" off the fenders all the way around. 

Offline cj

• Dr. Off-Road
I don't get it  ??? all these people that want "x" inches of lift. What's that all about? The question should be "I want to run this size tire so what's the smallest lift that will clear it? Oh I get it now, it's how tall can I make my rig for the mall  ::)

Offline Tim

• I live here!
no i think its that we know how much lift it needs to get those tires to fit.....and maybe we want that certain look its no different....to everyone his own

88 zuk w/flex inside

Offline Uncivilized

• Keyboard KrAwLeR
  • Zukaholic
  • This is an xtreme ON-road machine
I'm currently making a 3" body lift. I bought a 4' piece of 3x3x.25" steel tube from a demolition company for $9, had it cut into 12 3" pieces at a steel plant for $10 Progress is slow because I am. I just picked up my drill press today, so maybe I'll get some pics up for sunday.
Here is what I'm copying:
http://www.zuwharrie.com/content/view/11/27/
I think just the 3" body lift will fit 30's, 31's will need trimming, and/or a 1"/1.5"/2" suspension lift.

Offline Uncivilized

• Keyboard KrAwLeR
  • Zukaholic
I don't get it  ??? all these people that want "x" inches of lift. What's that all about? The question should be "I want to run this size tire so what's the smallest lift that will clear it? Oh I get it now, it's how tall can I make my rig for the mall  ::)
My main reason for lift is so I don't get hung up on snow anymore. Mine is a winter beater, and we get our share of snow, last year I got hung up in deep snow in my parking lot at least a dozen times, I didn't need a tow, just had to rock it loose. I don't want to do that anymore. I think raising the floor 3"-5" will make a difference for this year, even using my 215/75's.
I think people say "x" inches of lift because thoes are the options you can get. 1.5", 2", 3" 5" 6" etc. Lift is probably the most discussed topic here, and I think it's great, the more the better  ;D
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 30, 2005, 09:16:17 AM by Uncivilized »

Offline ronin

• Trail Ninja
  • Zuwharrie Addict
Just to add another vendor to the mix, BDS makes a 2 inch lift too http://www.bds-suspension.com/suspensionsystems_2suzuki.html and a bodylift as well, but the bodylift says it's only for 89-95, so dunno if it'll go on a 96+ ??   

I run the BDS 2" spring lift and really like it. Very nice kit!
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline Mudd Gremlin 16V

No it has nothing to do with the mall. All it has to do with is flex more space more flex!
It's Not The Size Of The Dog In The Fight! But The Size Of The Fight In The Dog!

Offline Tim

• I live here!
from seeing different rides i could fit 31's with 4 inches of lift or so

maybe a 2 inch calmini or rro 2.5 and a 3inch body or 2 inch body
88 zuk w/flex inside

Offline Uncivilized

• Keyboard KrAwLeR
  • Zukaholic
from seeing different rides i could fit 31's with 4 inches of lift or so

maybe a 2 inch calmini or rro 2.5 and a 3inch body or 2 inch body

A member of ZW told me the Calmini 3" kit if used without all the heavy equipment(bumpers, winch, etc) It actually gave him a little over 4" of lift. Here's what he said:

Quote from: Agent_Orange
Yes i did have to use camber bolts with my calmini lift. it worked out great, and the ride is amazing, atleast in my opinion. ok here is the info ahead of time before you buy the calmini lift. it is design as a heavy duty off-road suspension kit meant to carry serious weight. winch and winch bumper, roll cage, and belly armour. with all that extra stuff installed the suspension sits at 3" without any of the extra weight it sits at around 4.5" high  ;D but without the extra weight your front tires will look like this  \    /  but not as severe, so i used camber bolts to correct it, and they do. the calmini kit is worth every penny it is a rock solid kit, and i'm super happy with it. 10x stonger than the parts it replaces.

if you don't plan on doing rock crawling, i'd get the calmini kit. an sas conversion would be better in the long run if you plan to rock crawl. rocky roads kit forces you existing suspension downwards limiting you down travel, calmini's kit compensates for this with their full suspension kit, and besides without the extra weight your at the same principal as rocky roads but you get 4.5" without having to use a 2" body lift  ;) now add a 2" body lift and your sitting 6.5" higher and you can fit bigger tires with some fender trimming.

Offline Digger

• Locked Up
I was running 31x9.50-15 Swamper TSL radials on 15x8" rims with 3.75" of backspacing on a 90 Tracker with a home-made 2" body lift and 1-1/2" coil spacers(also made myself). The only issues I had while seriously off-roading this setup was the floor boards right behind the front tires had to be pounded back a little and the rear wheel well lip needed bent up in a little more. Keep in mind this was for serious wheeling where I was in full-lock/full-stuff situations frequently. For a mall crawler or snow beater that doesn't flex out a lot, no pounding or trimming would have been needed...
"...as seen in Petersen's 4Wheel & Offroad..." LOL!

Offline Uncivilized

• Keyboard KrAwLeR
  • Zukaholic
I was running 31x9.50-15 Swamper TSL radials on 15x8" rims with 3.75" of backspacing on a 90 Tracker with a home-made 2" body lift and 1-1/2" coil spacers(also made myself).
Anyone who reads Peterson's 4x4 Magazine knows this  ;D ;) ;D ;) - Good Job, I picked it up on Saturday and noticed it.

Offline Shrock

• Locked Up
  • Oderint Dum Metuant
I fit 32x10.5's with only a 2in body lift, saw and a BFH.   Sounds gruesome but it looks sweet.  Pics when I get em.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 02, 2005, 12:20:23 AM by Shrock »

Offline Mudd Gremlin 16V

DIGGER, I WAS TOLD BY ONE OF MY FREINDS WHO KNOWS YOU. THAT WHEN YOU DO A SPACER ON THE TRACKERS THAT IT TILTS THE WHEELS OUTWARDS AT THE TOP IS THIS TRUE?  BY THE WAY IT IS NOT FOR THE MALL I WHEEL IT PRETTY INTENSELY ALREADY WITH IT BEING STOCK IT FLEXES NICLY STOCK.

Offline Whitfield

• I make NOMEX
  • never under estimate the power of prayer
     DIGGER, I WAS TOLD BY ONE OF MY FREINDS WHO KNOWS YOU. THAT WHEN YOU DO A SPACER ON THE TRACKERS THAT IT TILTS THE WHEELS OUTWARDS AT THE TOP IS THIS TRUE?  BY THE WAY IT IS NOT FOR THE MALL I WHEEL IT PRETTY INTENSELY ALREADY WITH IT BEING STOCK IT FLEXES NICLY STOCK.

Yes, most wheels turn out at the top if you flip the strut mount.   Flipping the mount changes the camber.  Not flipping the mount reduces down travel.  Camber bolts, smaller diamater bolts and or modified strut holes can easily correct it.

No matter the lift  most Tracker / Kicks Flex the same.  Travel is limited by the strut.  Increase the strut travel and you reach the weak point of the CV's.   It's currently a Catch 22...   

Fortunatly the rear once modified will flex like mad.   Lock it up on both ends with a 4:1 t-case on 33's, and I believe you can follow most Jeeps on the black trails.   

Mike H. and a few other guys are pushing the limits with the front end.  More travel, relocating the front wheels 1" forward (Widening), Toyota pick up CV's  (Install kit), Dropping the frame mounts 2" (Complete IFS bracket and diff & axle drop).