Skip to main content

Topic: Air Filter Options (Read 103 times) previous topic - next topic

• Spokerider
  • [*][*][*]
Air Filter Options
What you all using for air filters / boxes on your diesel conversions? 

I was planning on using a K&N cone filter, but the more I read into them as being a sub-standard, engine-sanding air filter, I've changed my mind. Now I need to come up with another option.

Yes, there is the oem samurai filter box, it will work, but it does take up alotta room on the fender.......room I was hoping to use for a water / meth injection bottle. 

Anyone found a small, well fitting air filter box from a donor vehicle that you like? 
Tough as nails and dang near as smart.

• Suzuki_dude
  • [*][*]
Re: Air Filter Options
Reply #1
I have an aem dry flow filter right now but I bought a volant powercore filter that I'll be using instead. Model 61518. It has 3.5" inlet/outlet so it'll flow way more than you'd need and has a 100k mile warranty.
1995 2 door sidekick 8v 5 speed 4x4

• westcoaster
  • [*]
Reply #2
For me the OEM samurai filter box was far worse than a K&N....

It would suck sand and grit past the filter edges.

I have now adapted a stock 1.6TD filter box to fit on the fender with a thin piece of foam to filter out coarse material.
It doesn't help with the space issue, but at least it filters better....
'04 Dodge 3500 srw quad cab diesel
'87 Suzuki samurai tin top with a VW 1.9 turbo diesel

• westcoaster
  • [*]
Reply #3

• Spokerider
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #4
I had read that the aem was pretty good quality. Didn't realize that the oem samurai was so poor..............

Yes, space, space, or more like it lack of it......makes it a challenge for sure.  I'll wander the wreckers to see what I can see.
Tough as nails and dang near as smart.

• westcoaster
  • [*]
Reply #5
It was REALLY bad for me....
every time I pulled off the intake and ran my finger on the filtered side I was able to scrape off dust...

maybe it was the filter element, maybe it was the housing, either way, it was a little better than useless.

edit:
I don't think the filter itself was bad, just the seal between the filter and housing.
If a guy were to make his own housing you would probably have better success with the paper element.
  • Last Edit: Tuesday, Jun 20, 2017, 01:22 AM by westcoaster

• Newfie-Zuk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #6
I don't do a lot off road like years ago , but I use a cone filter under hood ... I have logged well over 500,000 kilometers on VW diesels using these filters , no issues at all ... [approve] [approve]

That is both summer and winter too ... [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
If you are doing a Job , it's always quicker to do it right the first time ...  Cheers.... :)

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I got the k and n Apollo installed today. Fits perfect near the headlight and is in a perfect spot to add a snorkel in the future if I go that route. Its quite compact compared to the stock intake.

• Newfie-Zuk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #8
I got the k and n Apollo installed today. Fits perfect near the headlight and is in a perfect spot to add a snorkel in the future if I go that route. Its quite compact compared to the stock intake.
Nice !!  ;D ;D

Loving the silicone !! [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

P
If you are doing a Job , it's always quicker to do it right the first time ...  Cheers.... :)