Skip to main content

Topic: sidekick front winch bumper install FABRICATORS!  (Read 298 times) previous topic - next topic

• 94uki
  • [*]
sidekick front winch bumper install FABRICATORS!
Trying to bring some life into this forum... I guess we will see :-X

This is the bumper I'm trying to install, yes its homemade and I didn't build it, no its not built for a Suzuki! I'm looking to install this as a detachable winch bumper (bolt to frame) with minimum stick out/ keeping the approach angle as close as possible to the frame! There is a few things I need some input on...

What gauge of a plate should be used for mounting a 8000 lbs winch? 1/4, 3\8, 1\2 !?

Thickness of skid plate? I'm leaning on a 11 gauge standard steel plate, just enough to stop trees from hitting my rad. Yes its the cardboard grease gun in the picture

Is my winch mount to high?, it will be located slightly lower then between my headlights, aiming to have my winch line come out in between the two tubes of the bumper (in the bull bar), probably cutting out the support that stretches across the grill. I understand that pulling from the lowest point is best but I don't want my winch getting plugged up by mud and constantly submerged in water

Will the factory bolt holes from the bumper be able to handle the stress of a winch? I have some drilled out holes from a flat tow hitch I believe I'm going to utilize (right beside the body mount)

In my pictures you will see some green tape on the ends of the bumper, that is where I'm planing to trim to length... This is a very rough fit up/layout, looking for your input on what will be the strongest/strong enough and lightest, ill also try to take as many pictures as possible as long as there is some interest in this post.
  • Last Edit: Thursday, May 25, 2017, 12:40 AM by 94uki
IF ITS NOT FIX DONT BROKE IT... something like that

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Re: sidekick front winch bumper install FABRICATORS!
Reply #1
Good work!  How thick is the tube?
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• beagle..t
  • [*][*]
Reply #2
8000# requires 1/4" plate once you figure where to mount its all basically easy 

• 94uki
  • [*]
Reply #3
8000# requires 1/4" plate once you figure where to mount its all basically easy

well me being cheap as F**K I  went with 3/16 plate... and the fact I never seen your comment until after the fact, 3/16 is = 0.1875 1/4 is = 0.25, its kinda close i guess ill have to see!. ill try boxing it in as much as possible though, thank for the advice! 

as for progress today.
   First off was to get 3/16th and 11 gauge plate then I adjusted the bumper a bit closer and up a touch, approx 1" each way it appears to have decent approach angle . marked and cut my main hangers/supports for the bumper to attach to the frame, I still have to add more bracing of coarse. It looks like Ill be about 2"s between my radiator and winch which I'm hoping is enough.
   If you see where my skid plate and winch plate will meet I plan on filling in that side gap with 11 gauge plate, the same thickness as my skid plate, along with a 1" flat bar or 2.5" angle iron running across the back to have a fully boxed mount with a open bottom. I'm hoping to have everything tacked up and ready for welding tomorrow. the bumper is still too wide remember! I'll be trimming it when everything else is fitting nicely.

• 94uki
  • [*]
Reply #4
Good work!  How thick is the tube?
I'm actually unsure until I chop the ends. I didn't build the bumper but it doesn't seem that heavy if that helps

• BCmountaingoat
  • [*][*][*]
  • chew the earth
Reply #5
hell ya buds, looks good to me! cheaper is better
94 sidekick lock right f&b, transfer gears, h.perf. rebuilt 1.6 8v
alteredego 4.5 sus lift / racks / bars / bumper
diy snorkel, led's,  6000# winch

• 94uki
  • [*]
Reply #6
Today I worked on bracing and getting my flat tow bolt holes aligned, I'm thinking I still need more bracing tho.. I decided to weld everything with 3/32 8018 rod, if I had a wire feed set up I'd defiantly use that instead.. Its been a while sense I burned rod  :welder: , the only thing I'm worried about now is that the 2"s I thought I had for space in between my rad and winch plate dropped down to about 1\2".. sooo I guess Ill have to play it out. As for the skid plate! It actually looks like the angles are going to work out in order to attach to my lower control arm brace.

• 94uki
  • [*]
Reply #7
I was feeling lazy today so I only trimmed the ends and tacked on the skid plate too because it was bothering me to much, hopefully tomorrow ill have something else to show.
  • Last Edit: Sunday, May 28, 2017, 11:45 PM by 94uki

• 94uki
  • [*]
Reply #8
Well pretty well done until I get controls for my winch and hit it with Bedliner. Everything lined up great, the support bar I put in seems like it going to handle everything I throw at it . I even tried running over a tree or two to see how it would hold up !

• BCmountaingoat
  • [*][*][*]
  • chew the earth
Reply #9
sweet, i had to weld mine to the frame for strength, it was moving too much

• 94uki
  • [*]
Reply #10
sweet, i had to weld mine to the frame for strength, it was moving too much
I really hope I don't have that issue! I either put a lock washer or lock nut on everything.. maybe once I finalize it Ill throw some lock tight on the bolts after I do a couple pulls to make everything settle into a comfortable place

• BCmountaingoat
  • [*][*][*]
  • chew the earth
Reply #11
my steel was reshaping itself ! :o

• 94uki
  • [*]
Reply #12
Finally got a winch mounted! After finding out my warn m8000 was toasted beyond repair I picked up a super winch 8500 on sale. It's defiantly not the winch I Intended on using but its pretty similar in size. Also threw some 90's f-150 aluminum rims on, their 8 wide and I believe 1/4" more offset then the factory rims. Of coarse I had to bore them out quite a bit in order to fit!