Skip to main content

Topic: Will a 95 track/kick 2wd manual transmission bolt up to a transfer case? (Read 136 times) previous topic - next topic

• dptyrob
  • [*][*][*]
Will a 95 track/kick 2wd manual transmission bolt up to a transfer case?
I've done some searching for previous postings and haven't come up with anything on this yet.  Anyone know the answer?  I've got a buddy with a 95 tracker 4wd that needs a new transmission, but I'm not finding any reasonably priced 4wd trannys listed anywhere right off the bat.  

• melbakid
  • [*]
  • Sparky
Re: Will a 95 track/kick 2wd manual transmission bolt up to a transfer case?
Reply #1
In a nut shell NO! :(  I have a 95 Kick 2WD that will be a donor vehicle for my Tin Top. I plan on using the 16V motor and front brakes. When I checked with Myron from Zuks Off Road in AZ, he said it won't work. He did say you could use the Kick Trans with a Samurai Xfer case with the use of a super short intermediate shaft between the two boxes. He makes the shaft from a combo of the Kick shaft and the Samurai shaft.
There are only 2 types of Samurai's: Those we need & those we want!
9/13: Goldilocks 88.5 Samurai ST 29's on 15x7's
11/13: 95 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR Parts car
2/15: Red Ryder 88.5 Samurai TT 4.16 TC w/ TT shifter, MKII, SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME Stabilizer, ZOR seats

• dptyrob
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #2
In a nut shell NO! :(  I have a 95 Kick 2WD that will be a donor vehicle for my Tin Top. I plan on using the 16V motor and front brakes. When I checked with Myron from Zuks Off Road in AZ, he said it won't work. He did say you could use the Kick Trans with a Samurai Xfer case with the use of a super short intermediate shaft between the two boxes. He makes the shaft from a combo of the Kick shaft and the Samurai shaft.
OK.  Thanks,

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Willy G, The Donut King
Reply #3
To put a 2wd trans in a 4wd.  Take both transmissions apart.

Swap the rear part of the housing and output shaft.

Then it will work. 

For a Sami it's different then a tracker. 
Ask me about my attention deficit disorder or pie or my cat. A dog. I have a bike. do you like TV. I saw a rock. HI!<br><br>Quote from: ack Fri May 15 2015 08:52:22 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)<br><br>I am going to agree substantially with Sean "My Body Hurts" DeVinney.

• dptyrob
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #4
To put a 2wd trans in a 4wd.  Take both transmissions apart.

Swap the rear part of the housing and output shaft.

Then it will work. For a Sami it's different then a tracker.
Does swapping out the output shaft mean I'll need to swap the gears and bearings from the 2wd tranny output shaft onto the output shaft of the 4wd tranny? I'm assuming it does, just wanna make sure I have a grip on it before I buy a 2wd tranny. Thankya. 

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Willy G, The Donut King
Reply #5
Realisticly. Id use whatever ones look the best. They have the same bearings and sycronizors. 

You always keep matching gears in the trans or they will wear faster.

It takes every bit of an hour to swap parts over.. IIRC.
Ask me about my attention deficit disorder or pie or my cat. A dog. I have a bike. do you like TV. I saw a rock. HI!<br><br>Quote from: ack Fri May 15 2015 08:52:22 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)<br><br>I am going to agree substantially with Sean "My Body Hurts" DeVinney.

• dptyrob
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #6
Realisticly. Id use whatever ones look the best. They have the same bearings and sycronizors.

You always keep matching gears in the trans or they will wear faster.

It takes every bit of an hour to swap parts over.. IIRC.
Yeah, I watched a video on overhauling one and it looked pretty simple. I may just go that route. I was trying to find a quick fix for my buddy's rig, but it looks like about the same money and very little more work to do an overhaul versus buying a used 2wd tranny and swapping the tail shaft. It's nice to know it can be done in a pinch, though. Thanks for the info.  :0)