Skip to main content

Topic: Fuel Pump sucking air (Read 244 times) previous topic - next topic

• Garemie
  • [*][*]
Fuel Pump sucking air
Hey yall,

16v with e2000 fuel pump near the tank.

I've got double hose clamps on all lines, have replaced most of the lines just to be certain of no leaks, but I'm still getting air in the fuel pump. It seems to happen mostly when the tank is below half full or if I'm driving around twisty mountain roads.

I can tell the difference in sound between solid gas in the fuel pump and some air bubbles. It certainly runs and runs fine even with a little air in the pump but it's both unhealthy and not ideal for fuel pressure.

It will continue to have air in it until I shut the Sammy down for about 2 minutes, then start it up again.

Where is this air coming from and why is the fuel pump unable to clear it?

1987 Soft Top, 16v, 31s, SPOA - SOLD
1988.5 TT, 16v, 29s, ZOR seats, stock otherwise

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Re: Fuel Pump sucking air
Reply #1
Just a thought but I have been using the stock Samurai filter as a screen for the efi pump and it sort of acts as a small reserve for the pump in the event that there is a momentary lack of fuel from the tank for whatever reason. It's loud enough to hear either way, but I've been using the same pump since 2007 and it's still kicking. 

• Garemie
  • [*][*]
Reply #2
Just a thought but I have been using the stock Samurai filter as a screen for the efi pump and it sort of acts as a small reserve for the pump in the event that there is a momentary lack of fuel from the tank for whatever reason. It's loud enough to hear either way, but I've been using the same pump since 2007 and it's still kicking.
I've tried that as well, but it still ends up airiating in the pump.
Today I tried both putting a filter before the pump as well as tried putting a filter after the pump, both with the same result.
It's making me lose my mind....what can I do?
It has to be something in the fuel tank or maybe the pump is bad?
So frustrated.

• trm303
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #3
If all the lines are good could be the pickup in the tank, also could be the nipple at the top, those things feel really fragile but you would probably smell gas if that was perforated.

• Garemie
  • [*][*]
Reply #4
If all the lines are good could be the pickup in the tank, also could be the nipple at the top, those things feel really fragile but you would probably smell gas if that was perforated.
Is the pickup in the tank metal? I'm suspecting this is the issue. 
What do I need to do to replace it? 

• melbakid
  • [*]
  • Sparky
Reply #5
Is the pickup in the tank metal? I'm suspecting this is the issue.
What do I need to do to replace it?
Drop the tank and replace the pick up assembly in the tank. While you are there you might as well replace the sending unit for the fuel gauge also. If it's an original sending unit it's only a matter of time before it dies! :o  
There are only 2 types of Samurai's: Those we need & those we want!
9/13: Goldilocks 88.5 Samurai ST 29's on 15x7's
11/13: 95 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR Parts car
2/15: Red Ryder 88.5 Samurai TT 4.16 TC w/ TT shifter, MKII, SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME Stabilizer, ZOR seats

• Garemie
  • [*][*]
Reply #6
Drop the tank and replace the pick up assembly in the tank. While you are there you might as well replace the sending unit for the fuel gauge also. If it's an original sending unit it's only a matter of time before it dies! :o
I can't seem to find a pickup or sending unit online.....any idea where to look?
I'm dying to get this fixed, I have to keep it above 2/3 full to avoid the issue grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Garemie
  • [*][*]
Reply #7
http://www.fixkick.com/INJECTORS/PUMP/custom-pump101.html

I've been reading fixkick page about custom fuel pumps, and he's never steered my wrong in the past, so I feel I should trust him.

It looks like height may be playing a factor in why it can't clear air bubbles?

I have it mounted ABOVE the inlet and outlet lines... I wonder if that could be the problem?

I can see air getting stuck in the pump and not having an easy gravity feed way out to clear itself.... maybe.

• TD57
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #8
I can't seem to find a pickup or sending unit online.....any idea where to look?
I'm dying to get this fixed, I have to keep it above 2/3 full to avoid the issue grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Here's where I got mine:
http://suzuki.roadlessgear.com/samurai-fuel-tank-sending-unit
Hope it helps,  [thumbsup]
Dave

• TD57
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #10
Just the sending unit & gasket.
Give Figmo a call, maybe he has the pick-up also.
Dave

• Garemie
  • [*][*]
Reply #11
Does the pickup go through the same plate as the sender? 

• Garemie
  • [*][*]
Reply #12
Sorry for all the questions, but can someone describe to me what the fuel pick up looks like inside the tank? Is it a metal tube that goes to the bottom? Or rubber? I'm guessing it's a metal nipple that turns to a  rubber fuel line and runs to the bottom. I wonder if mine just came off? 

• skyhiranger
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
The in-tank pickup tube should be metal. I have heard sometimes they will get pin holes in the top portion of them. So when the gas in the tank is above the pin holes in the tube, everything runs fine, but when the gas level gets below the pin holes it will start sucking air.
Samurais...86,87x3,88x3,88.5x6,90,91,92x3<br />Sidekicks...89x2,90,91,94x3,95,96<br />Trackers...90x4,91,92x3,93x3,94x5,95x2,96,97<br />Sold...88.5 Samurai; 89x2,92x2,93x2,96x2 Sidekicks; 91,94x2,98 Trackers<br /><br />2.8.13

• melbakid
  • [*]
  • Sparky
Reply #14
Does the pickup go through the same plate as the sender?
@Garemie‍  No the pick up does not go through the same plate as the sender. It is a separate plate with two ports.
There are only 2 types of Samurai's: Those we need & those we want!
9/13: Goldilocks 88.5 Samurai ST 29's on 15x7's
11/13: 95 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR Parts car
2/15: Red Ryder 88.5 Samurai TT 4.16 TC w/ TT shifter, MKII, SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME Stabilizer, ZOR seats