Skip to main content

Topic: TRACKER WITH 2.3L PINGING WITH GREATER THAN 20% LOAD. (Read 170 times) previous topic - next topic

• AZSami
  • [*]
TRACKER WITH 2.3L PINGING WITH GREATER THAN 20% LOAD.
When returning from an all day run in the desert it suddenly began pinging when I got into the throttle while cruising along at about 50. Got home and found a knock sensor code. Sensor was fried-had about 0.5 ohm resistance and potting was starting to melt. 

So far I've done the following with out solution:

Replaced knock sensor.
Clean MAF sensor.
Checked vacuum at idle--good;
Replaced fuel filter.
Checked fuel pressure--good.
Checked fuel use--climbs normally when increasing engine load above 20% where pinging begins.

My next check will be EGR and plugs which are nearly new--less than a thousand miles.

Note: Pinging doesn't begin until engine is fully warmed up.

Any suggestions for other things to check out???
'87 Samurai SE, 1.6L 16V, 3spd Auto, OME sprgs & shks, Sky special stage 1 overhead steer, TT Skid Plt, Nerf Bars & towbar, 235/75-15 KM2's, 15x7 rims, 1.25" whl spacers, 2" exh.<br>     '98 Tracker 2dr, 2.3L 16V, 3spd Auto, TT 2.5" Lift & Nerf Bars, 235/75-15 Hankook MT, 15x7 rims, OEM Fr Skid Plt.

• TheLastSamurai
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Grease monkey
Re: TRACKER WITH 2.3L PINGING WITH GREATER THAN 20% LOAD.
Reply #1
I think you may have a timing issue, I read somewhere about the suzuki aerio with the 2.3L having the same issue because the timing was off. I believe on that engine it sits at 5 degrees advanced at idle. I would still check EGR but timing is most likely it. If its too advanced it will cause pinging.

• AZSami
  • [*]
Reply #3
With further testing I've found:

Even when engine is not fully warmed up I've found there is very light pinging as soon as I exceed 19-20% load when auto trans is in 3rd gear.

Using my ScanGauge II, the timing at idle (may vary from 728 to 765 rpm) varies from 4 to 10 degrees.

Disconnecting new knock sensor makes no difference.

Disconnecting up-stream oxygen sensor makes no difference.

Running in top gear at a 19% load, the point at which it starts to ping, I get 38 to 39 degrees advance with or without knock sensor connected.

Where do I go from here?
'87 Samurai SE, 1.6L 16V, 3spd Auto, OME sprgs & shks, Sky special stage 1 overhead steer, TT Skid Plt, Nerf Bars & towbar, 235/75-15 KM2's, 15x7 rims, 1.25" whl spacers, 2" exh.<br>     '98 Tracker 2dr, 2.3L 16V, 3spd Auto, TT 2.5" Lift & Nerf Bars, 235/75-15 Hankook MT, 15x7 rims, OEM Fr Skid Plt.

• IanL
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #4
Maybe the new knock sensor is defective?

• txgocart
  • [*][*]
Reply #5
Not sure on the 2.3 but the 1.6 and 1.3 crank keyway would enlarge itself when not fully tighten.

Ray

• carolinarigman
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #6
I would run the static timing back at the distributor to 0-2egreees BTC and see if it makes a difference.
Has it sat any this winter. Maybe carboned up. May have to run a cleaner for a bit. We used to run a little trans fluid
through the carb, but I would be afraid to damage an 02 sensor or worse. :P  

Crank and cam sensors should show codes. Maybe dist. wear if that model has one! ???
Picture is of my Uwharrie campsite before I got my Zuk!

• Perryd
  • [*]
Reply #7
Crank and cam sensors should show codes. Maybe dist. wear if that model has one! ???

No dist on the aerios. Coil packs that plug into the harness. 
I would try a compression test. Should shed. Some light on the timing. 

• AZSami
  • [*]
Reply #8
Update: Pinging has been eliminated.

Since this engine does not have a distributor, it has a cam position sensor. I readjusted it to just eliminate any pinging under a heavy load, high temperature, mid 90's, and climbing a grade. I suspect the adjustment was required because the new knock sensor I installed, likely had a lower ac voltage output than the original one it replaced. 

• IanL
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #9
Thought it might be that.