Skip to main content

Topic: Dreaded steering shaft play (Read 282 times) previous topic - next topic

• Garemie
  • [*][*]
Dreaded steering shaft play
Hey all,

I did a 16v swap the other day and I was going to do both PS and AC but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna skip PS for now, I only run 29s and hardly do anything that needs PS.

However, the bushing at the bottom of the upper steering shaft, where it comes out of the firewall, has some play.

I've read various threads about @Surly‍ who used to make rebuilt shafts, but he appears to be long gone... :(

Sounds like he would replace the bushing with a sealed bearing...I wanted to know if anyone knew the dimensions of this bearing, as I'm losing my mind with the slight clunk I have over bumps

1987 Soft Top, 16v, 31s, SPOA - SOLD
1988.5 TT, 16v, 29s, ZOR seats, stock otherwise

• melbakid
  • [*]
  • Sparky
Re: Dreaded steering shaft play
Reply #1
Hey all,

I did a 16v swap the other day and I was going to do both PS and AC but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna skip PS for now, I only run 29s and hardly do anything that needs PS.

However, the bushing at the bottom of the upper steering shaft, where it comes out of the firewall, has some play.

I've read various threads about @Surly‍ who used to make rebuilt shafts, but he appears to be long gone... :(

Sounds like he would replace the bushing with a sealed bearing...I wanted to know if anyone knew the dimensions of this bearing, as I'm losing my mind with the slight clunk I have over bumps
Sorry to say that Surly has past. :(  I believe in Afghanistan in the service of our country. RIP! 
There are only 2 types of Samurai's: Those we need & those we want!
9/13: Goldilocks 88.5 Samurai ST 29's on 15x7's
11/13: 95 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR Parts car
2/15: Red Ryder 88.5 Samurai TT 4.16 TC w/ TT shifter, MKII, SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME Stabilizer, ZOR seats

• Garemie
  • [*][*]
Reply #2
That's heartbreaking....

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Ive also been wondering this.  If you have a vernier caliper and are able to measure the shaft od and the housing id I could look around and see if I can find a part number. I have a bearing store nearby and could probably get them to find something

• Garemie
  • [*][*]
Reply #4
Problem is the Sammy is my DD and my only car. I live in a small town where no one has anything and the nearest bearing shop would be like an hour or so. Which means I can't afford to have my steering shaft out without parts to fix it.

Am hoping I can find some bearings and pop 'em in if someone can tell me dimensions ;D

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Lol ill see how motivated I get to pull mine. Ill post if I figure anything out

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Reply #6
Sorry to say that Surly has past. :(  I believe in Afghanistan in the service of our country. RIP!
Not for the sake of correction, but rather to clarify any possible confusion.... ;)

Surly, aka Ken, had a series of health issues after a botched surgery.  He was wonderful with tech.  He always had a smile on his face too.  Great guy. 

NC Zuk was a Green Beret who gave the ultimate sacrifice in Afghanistan.  He was always the voice of reason.  He too was a great guy.  These were the kind of people we all aspire to be. 

Anyway, I think perhaps it's easy to mentally melt them together for folks who didn't know them directly.  This is a good opportunity to honor both guys.  Incidentally, yesterday would have been Art's (NC Zuk) 45th birthday.   :\\\'(
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• Zuki4x4
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Carb Junkie!
Reply #7
Can you link the forum post about the shaft rebuild?

I didn't know there was a bushing there, I always thought the rag joint was the thing everyone spoke about...

RIP Surly, wish you were around to pick your brain about carb q's

• melbakid
  • [*]
  • Sparky
Reply #8
Not for the sake of correction, but rather to clarify any possible confusion.... ;)

Surly, aka Ken, had a series of health issues after a botched surgery.  He was wonderful with tech.  He always had a smile on his face too.  Great guy. 

NC Zuk was a Green Beret who gave the ultimate sacrifice in Afghanistan.  He was always the voice of reason.  He too was a great guy.  These were the kind of people we all aspire to be. 

Anyway, I think perhaps it's easy to mentally melt them together for folks who didn't know them directly.  This is a good opportunity to honor both guys.  Incidentally, yesterday would have been Art's (NC Zuk) 45th birthday.  :\\\'(
@beekiller‍ Thank you for chiming in and correcting me. [thumbsup]  I did indeed get them mixed up, no disrespect to either gentleman.
In my defense, I am over 65 and sometimes get confused! ;)  
There are only 2 types of Samurai's: Those we need & those we want!
9/13: Goldilocks 88.5 Samurai ST 29's on 15x7's
11/13: 95 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR Parts car
2/15: Red Ryder 88.5 Samurai TT 4.16 TC w/ TT shifter, MKII, SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME Stabilizer, ZOR seats

• Garemie
  • [*][*]
Reply #9
Can you link the forum post about the shaft rebuild?

I didn't know there was a bushing there, I always thought the rag joint was the thing everyone spoke about...

RIP Surly, wish you were around to pick your brain about carb q's
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?topic=74887.0

RIP both of them...to be honest, I figured they had simply moved on from the Zuk scene, I didn't realize they were actually gone from our world....truly tragic.

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Reply #10
@beekiller‍ Thank you for chiming in and correcting me. [thumbsup]  I did indeed get them mixed up, no disrespect to either gentleman.
In my defense, I am over 65 and sometimes get confused! ;)
Can't think anyone would take it as disrespect.  Confused?  Then you got right in here!  haha.  
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• Garemie
  • [*][*]
Reply #11
Any update on this? 

It's barely even there but I cannot stand play in steering components. 

I'm wondering if I can get the lower bushing to swell up to fit it better. Any ideas? 

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
I'm heading to the bearing shop in about an hour. Ill post a part number if I find something that fits

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
And..... The part number is..... 6903 2RS. The sales guy said its about .2mm small on the outside diameter but is a press fit on the inner shaft. He suggested to just shim it with a piece of popcan or something to take out the slop. I got 2 bearings as they are fairly skinny and is what I read when people talked about them. Donate to acq if you found this helpful. Ill tell him to add it to his faq