Skip to main content

Topic: My build log! (Read 1938 times) previous topic - next topic

• Spokerider
  • [*][*][*]
Re: My build log!
Reply #200
How much do you want for it? I've got a 2002 sentra 1.8l with 150k coming by in a couple hours for $1000 I was planning on getting. Like I said before I just need something until the zuk is done then ill be selling it. Sentra seems like a pretty solid deal to get my money or maybe even a bit more out of when the time comes.
lol.
 Thats what I said when I bought my DD [ until the zuk is built ] 3 years ago.........a 1992 festiva. Hasn't missed a beat!
Tough as nails and dang near as smart.

• Spokerider
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #201
[lol]  I have one of those China lockers.  It's still in the box.  Like 3 years later.  ::)

Also have a HF 9000 lbs winch.  Probably about 3 years old too.  But hey, it's out of the box, so that's progress right!  [thumbsup]

C|
lol.
I have an ARB, and if I did have one of them those china lockers, I too would be too ashamed [smiley=biggrinjester.gif] to take it out of the box!  [lol]
  • Last Edit: Thursday, May 18, 2017, 02:47 PM by Spokerider
Tough as nails and dang near as smart.

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #202
lol.
I have an ARB, and if I did have one of them those china lockers, I too would be too ashamed [smiley=biggrinjester.gif] to take it out of the box!  [lol]

LOL!  I did take it out to look at it.  The compressor and wiring is really cheesy looking but the locker itself is ok.  The machining isn't aircraft quality but it doesn't have to be.  One of these days I should disassemble it and check it over at least.  I would install it now if I wasn't driving the 'zuk every day.  It's so much cheaper to fuel than my elderly Frontier, and it almost looks better too.  (a frightening thought)

C|

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #203
How much did it end up costing you? Are these the ones that leave you with power only going to 1 wheel when they are unlocked?

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #204
Turns out the loud and painful popping feeling in my chest I had last weekend was 2 of my ribs breaking. The pain has been manageable until yesterday, now it feels like I'm getting punched in the ribs anytime I move. I pulled the front axle last night but there's no way I can do any more work on it this weekend 😠. Even shifting gears while driving is super painful. Off to the island to drink the pain away for my 32nd bday!

I picked up some u bolts for the front axle this morning, as well as 4 longer kingpin bolts for my cross over steering. Home depot didn't have any bolts of the right thread pitch for the longer caliper bolts ill need, ill hopefully track some down next week, and get the front welded and painted if my ribs are feeling better. Some good news is I managed to find a 84 Sammy t case with the integrated parking brake for $50! Ill be picking that up next weekend, and when a bit more money comes in ill be going 4 wheel disc with trackick calipers/rotors up front.

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Reply #205
Dang dude!  Get well soon.  What brought that on?
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #206
I was leaning over the fender trying to slide the tranny into the tunnel from the bay. I guess all that weight plus the awkward angle was enough to crack em. Its just weird it didn't hurt that much during the week and then all of a sudden its unbearable. I definitely made the worse messing with the axle. I just hope I can go back to work on Tuesday. Ive been so flaky with this new job. I've missed 3.5 days in like 2 months which is by far the most work ive ever missed!

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #207
How much did it end up costing you?
It was right around $600 shipped.

Are these the ones that leave you with power only going to 1 wheel when they are unlocked?

I've never heard of a locking diff that only powers one side when unlocked.  That wouldn't be a differential at all.
But no it has bevel gears inside the case.  As far as I can tell it is a literal copy of the ARB.  It even came with a photocopy of the ARB manual and the part number is RD208, same as the ARB.

Interestingly the photocopy of the manual bothers me more than the locker itself.  I think because it shows just how blatantly they are piggybacking on someone else's work.  It does make me feel kinda bad about buying it, but then again I saved $400.  So...??

Anyway this isn't really the place to debate the ethics of it.  There is already a thread for the Chinese lockers here:
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?topic=119345.msg1290682#msg1290682

C|

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #208
I remember reading something about a chinese locker that only egaged 1 wheel when unlocked. It May have been cable actuated though.

It would be cool if someone disassembled it beside a real arb and compared the build quality of each piece.