Skip to main content

Topic: My build log! (Read 2802 times) previous topic - next topic

• Spokerider
  • [*][*][*]
Re: My build log!
Reply #200
How much do you want for it? I've got a 2002 sentra 1.8l with 150k coming by in a couple hours for $1000 I was planning on getting. Like I said before I just need something until the zuk is done then ill be selling it. Sentra seems like a pretty solid deal to get my money or maybe even a bit more out of when the time comes.
lol.
 Thats what I said when I bought my DD [ until the zuk is built ] 3 years ago.........a 1992 festiva. Hasn't missed a beat!
Tough as nails and dang near as smart.

• Spokerider
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #201
[lol]  I have one of those China lockers.  It's still in the box.  Like 3 years later.  ::)

Also have a HF 9000 lbs winch.  Probably about 3 years old too.  But hey, it's out of the box, so that's progress right!  [thumbsup]

C|
lol.
I have an ARB, and if I did have one of them those china lockers, I too would be too ashamed [smiley=biggrinjester.gif] to take it out of the box!  [lol]
  • Last Edit: Thursday, May 18, 2017, 02:47 PM by Spokerider

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #202
lol.
I have an ARB, and if I did have one of them those china lockers, I too would be too ashamed [smiley=biggrinjester.gif] to take it out of the box!  [lol]

LOL!  I did take it out to look at it.  The compressor and wiring is really cheesy looking but the locker itself is ok.  The machining isn't aircraft quality but it doesn't have to be.  One of these days I should disassemble it and check it over at least.  I would install it now if I wasn't driving the 'zuk every day.  It's so much cheaper to fuel than my elderly Frontier, and it almost looks better too.  (a frightening thought)

C|

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #203
How much did it end up costing you? Are these the ones that leave you with power only going to 1 wheel when they are unlocked?

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #204
Turns out the loud and painful popping feeling in my chest I had last weekend was 2 of my ribs breaking. The pain has been manageable until yesterday, now it feels like I'm getting punched in the ribs anytime I move. I pulled the front axle last night but there's no way I can do any more work on it this weekend 😠. Even shifting gears while driving is super painful. Off to the island to drink the pain away for my 32nd bday!

I picked up some u bolts for the front axle this morning, as well as 4 longer kingpin bolts for my cross over steering. Home depot didn't have any bolts of the right thread pitch for the longer caliper bolts ill need, ill hopefully track some down next week, and get the front welded and painted if my ribs are feeling better. Some good news is I managed to find a 84 Sammy t case with the integrated parking brake for $50! Ill be picking that up next weekend, and when a bit more money comes in ill be going 4 wheel disc with trackick calipers/rotors up front.

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Reply #205
Dang dude!  Get well soon.  What brought that on?
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #206
I was leaning over the fender trying to slide the tranny into the tunnel from the bay. I guess all that weight plus the awkward angle was enough to crack em. Its just weird it didn't hurt that much during the week and then all of a sudden its unbearable. I definitely made the worse messing with the axle. I just hope I can go back to work on Tuesday. Ive been so flaky with this new job. I've missed 3.5 days in like 2 months which is by far the most work ive ever missed!

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #207
How much did it end up costing you?
It was right around $600 shipped.

Are these the ones that leave you with power only going to 1 wheel when they are unlocked?

I've never heard of a locking diff that only powers one side when unlocked.  That wouldn't be a differential at all.
But no it has bevel gears inside the case.  As far as I can tell it is a literal copy of the ARB.  It even came with a photocopy of the ARB manual and the part number is RD208, same as the ARB.

Interestingly the photocopy of the manual bothers me more than the locker itself.  I think because it shows just how blatantly they are piggybacking on someone else's work.  It does make me feel kinda bad about buying it, but then again I saved $400.  So...??

Anyway this isn't really the place to debate the ethics of it.  There is already a thread for the Chinese lockers here:
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?topic=119345.msg1290682#msg1290682

C|

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #208
I remember reading something about a chinese locker that only egaged 1 wheel when unlocked. It May have been cable actuated though.

It would be cool if someone disassembled it beside a real arb and compared the build quality of each piece.

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #209
Got the front axle welded up after work. Extremely frustrating using a 15 amp breaker. At the most I can get a bead going for 20 seconds before the breaker pops. Took about 2 hours but I got it all done. I didn't weld on the gusset for the birfs, ill wait until I'm ready to rebuild axles for that. Its funny how I can lay an almost perfect looking bead and then 10 seconds later lay one that looks like complete poop. Maybe I have the welder setup wrong but occasionally it'll constantly pop like the arc is cutting in an out which causes the wire feed to keep poking off the metal, its usually when this happens that everything goes to poop. I'm not sure what's causing it. I'm using a flap disc and getting down to clean metal so its not poor conductivity, maybe my welder needs to be serviced or maybe I just have bad technique!

I ordered some caliper bolts from fastenal, they should hopefully be in tomorrow. Tracking says my manifold studs and all new u joints are waiting in my mailbox for the landlord to pick up. I was thinking of replacing all the tie rods while I have everything apart. Rock auto only lists one for the left side, are all 4 the same? It also looks like the one end of the drag link has the tie rod built in? Safe to assume replacing that requires a new drag link?

• westcoaster
  • [*]
Reply #210
What is the duty cycle on the welder? It could be that you can only weld for two minutes and let cool for 8 (just throwing a number out there)

Is the welder on the end of an extension cord? If you are on an extension cord how long is it and what gauge?
'04 Dodge 3500 srw quad cab diesel
'87 Suzuki samurai tin top with a VW 1.9 turbo diesel

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #211
No extension cord but the instructions said to use a 20 amp breaker. On lower settings its fine but I had it practically maxed out.

I'm not sure of the duty cycle. Maybe that's the issue. I definitely dont let it cool off that much between welds. But with the breaker popping its more like 20 or so seconds on then 20-30 seconds off. That being said ive always had this popping from the arc even on low settings. Also had the trigger stop working today. Checked it with my voltimeter and it was fine, then found a switch inside the machine which I think is for using gas. Flipped that back and forth and it started working again. The machine is a few years old but doesnt have much use on it at all.

• Spokerider
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #212
No extension cord but the instructions said to use a 20 amp breaker. On lower settings its fine but I had it practically maxed out.

I'm not sure of the duty cycle. Maybe that's the issue. I definitely dont let it cool off that much between welds. But with the breaker popping its more like 20 or so seconds on then 20-30 seconds off. That being said ive always had this popping from the arc even on low settings. Also had the trigger stop working today. Checked it with my voltimeter and it was fine, then found a switch inside the machine which I think is for using gas. Flipped that back and forth and it started working again. The machine is a few years old but doesnt have much use on it at all.
Brand and model? 
 Duty cycle rating will be on the sticker affixed to the welder, and in the owners manual.
On the up side..... with short beads, you likely didn't over heat the axle tube, warping it beyond use.......

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #213
Yeah I was pretty careful to jump around. Between the mounts and armor I never really had to focus on one spot.

Its a Lincoln migpak 140

• Spokerider
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #214

Thats a decent little welder for body work and 1.25 mild steel if the pieces are not too big. You can always pre-heat steel with a torch on the larger pieces. 
 Prolly a 20 to 30 percent duty cycle on it as most home owner small migs are. 

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #215
Yeah it says it can handle 1/4 and ive used it on some pretty thick stuff. Pretty handy now that I'm getting the hang of it. I bought it new off cl like 3 years ago and until about a month ago I had only used it a handful of times.

Should hopefully have most of the mechanical stuff back together this weekend. Then its just the random odds and ends until its ready for the road. Is it worth attempting to start the engine before I can take it for a drive? Don't want to cause excessive wear or glaze the cylinders on the fresh engine.

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #216
Maybe I have the welder setup wrong but occasionally it'll constantly pop like the arc is cutting in an out which causes the wire feed to keep poking off the metal, its usually when this happens that everything goes to poop. I'm not sure what's causing it. I'm using a flap disc and getting down to clean metal so its not poor conductivity, maybe my welder needs to be serviced or maybe I just have bad technique!
I've had this problem when trying to use the crappy $100 HF welder at the shop.  With that machine I think the problem is that it just doesn't have enough current to keep up with the wire speed, so the arc goes out and it starts popping.  This seems to happen when trying to weld thicker material (3/16" and up).  Preheating helps a lot for the thicker stuff but it's a pain.

A Lincoln 140 should be better but it's still only a 120V machine.  I know they say up to 1/4" thickness but I think you'll find it tough to get full penetration with material that thick, at least without preheating.

One other thing to check is the feed rollers.  Make sure the pinch roller is tight enough to keep the drive roller from slipping.  Also try to keep the cable as straight as possible to reduce friction inside the wire guide housing.

C|

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #217
I usually keep my wire feed pretty low. I dont have the best dexterity and being able to take my time makes the beads a lot nicer. I was having the same issue with thinner metal as well. Might just be the 120v like you said. Its just weird it doesn't happen all the time. Like 1 weld is fine and the next is bad and its just back and forth all the time.

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #218
I usually keep my wire feed pretty low. I dont have the best dexterity and being able to take my time makes the beads a lot nicer. I was having the same issue with thinner metal as well. Might just be the 120v like you said. Its just weird it doesn't happen all the time. Like 1 weld is fine and the next is bad and its just back and forth all the time.

Maybe try increasing the speed then?  If it's too slow you won't get a continuous arc.  I prefer to weld with solid wire and gas (much cleaner and no smoke) but the one nice thing about flux core is that the wire speed is slower and you can take your time.  And it's less sensitive to rust, paint, dirt, etc..

Thinner material is tough with flux core wire.  It's so easy to blow though which then makes the arc go out.  For sheet metal, solid wire and gas is the way to go.

C|

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #219
Thanks for the tips. Ill definitely play around with it more now that I'm feeling more confident with it.

Got the front axle and drive shafts painted before work this morning. I also picked up the new hardware for my crossover steering arm. Nothing but sun lately so should be a pretty productive weekend. Should be able to get all the bigger stuff done then I'm just waiting on parts to order before its good to test drive!