Skip to main content

Topic: My build log! (Read 2020 times) previous topic - next topic

• Newfie-Zuk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Re: My build log!
Reply #140
Its like an oil drain that connects to the puck thing on the valve cover. As far as I know its an aaz thing. The puck has 2 outlets, one for the intake and one to drain back to the block. Think its meant to act like a catch can but I'm not sure how effective it is.

These were also used on the VW1.6TD , however not the VW1.6 N/A , hense the block off plate ..  [thumbsup]
Not all the VW1.6TD had them either ...  ;)
The idea was to reduce base pressure under boost .
Also depending on the engines location , as some  were mounted nearly  horizontal , it was used as a full pcv ...  [thumbsup]

As for the colour ?  I would leave it natural,  or hit it with hammer bronze.. looks good with this blue set up ! ;D ;D

P
  • Last Edit: Friday, Apr 14, 2017, 06:50 AM by Newfie-Zuk
If you are doing a Job , it's always quicker to do it right the first time ...  Cheers.... :)

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #141
[attach]227168[/attach]

These were also used on the VW1.6TD , however not the VW1.6 N/A , hense the block off plate ..  [thumbsup]
Not all the VW1.6TD had them either ...  ;)
The idea was to reduce base pressure under boost .
Also depending on the engines location , as some  were mounted nearly  horizontal , it was used as a full pcv ...  [thumbsup]

[attach]227170[/attach]

As for the colour ?  I would leave it natural,  or hit it with hammer bronze.. looks good with this blue set up ! ;D ;D

P
Ahh, fancy!
C|

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #142
I did a bit more sandblasting on the weekend. I didn't get to any painting but will hopefully finish up most of it this weekend if the weather is nice. I started freeing all the wiring and cleaning up the engine bay in preparation for paint. I cut out the ammo can I had beside the brake booster to relocate the battery there. Right now the bay has been mostly de-greased but there is a huge mess or wiring I'm going to have to go over and fix. Its going to be interesting figuring out what I do and don't need and what I can remove from the original harness.

The new input shaft for my tranny came in the mail today as well, I'll hopefully get that back together after I've painted this housing this weekend.

I also made a run to pick a part and I grabbed an eps, as well as a 1.6td boost pin/spring. I grabbed the eps from a Nissan versa and its a bit different from the one in the how-to section. The wiring on the computer is a bit different as well as the mounting points. The model number I grabbed matches the one listed in the guide http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?topic=134451.0 so hopefully it works out.

Took me about 3 or 4 hours to modify the steering shaft and make some brackets for it. I used some scrap 1/8" steel I had laying around and I'm thinking it was a bit thin. The eps flexes a bit when I turn the steering wheel, I imagine it will be even worse when its hooked up and has power assist. I might try and add some gussets or just completely remake the mounts. I'm pretty horrible at welding lol, my welds on the shaft turned out ok for the most part but the mounts to the frame are pretty gnarly. There solid so I'm not worried about them breaking but definitely not something people should look at lol.

• big guns
  • [*]
Reply #143
Isn't the EPS going to be in the way of the lower radiator hose,I love the idea of the EPS though

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #144
If you go how acme does it, it may but I route my hose a bit differently. I use a straight thermostat housing and then have a U and then bring it up by the water pump and over the steering box.

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #145
Just got an email from lror my basic lift kit, clutch and a few other goodies shipped today and should arrive some time next week. I really need some good weather this weekend so I can get the majority of the painting finished and hopefully get the engine back in the bay. If all goes well it should be back on the road mid May! Would be awesome if I can take it for a camping trip on my birthday May long weekend!

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #146
My lift kit and a few other goodies came In the mail today.

Anyways I didn't like how my eps flexed with the steering wheel so I remade the mounts the last couple days. Rather then running them up the frame rail and bending them to wrap around the eps I just made a U shape with some thicker (3/16") steel and welded it to the top of the frame. It took quite a bit of bending to get the wheel well comfortable around the bracket but I made it work and it only sticks about 1.5" towards the tire past the frame. It just ahead of the center line of the tire and I doubt it will give me any rubbing issues, especially once the lift is on.

I've also decided to remove the rag joint which now makes my shaft about 3/8" too short. I think I'm going to try and find some hard rubber (maybe some old conveyor belt) and use it as a bushing between the 2 fittings.

I also added a P terminal to my alternator so I can use the tach adapter I got from acme. It was a pretty easy process, I just added a wire on a ring connector to one of the stator leads inside the alternator.

While I had it apart I painted it wrinkle black to match the intake and timing belt cover.

On the weekend I was trying to make some final trimming to my turbo manifold so it would fit with my g60 intake but I realized they just wont fit together no matter how much trimming I do. Rather then go back to the lame AAZ Intake I ordered a proper t25 manifold on ebay which "should" fit. Now I only hope its not too tall for the hood to close or that was a waste of $200!

My tranny is still in pieces, whenever I plan to put it back together after work I loose motivation by the time I get home and get side tracked on other projects. Hopefully I will finish it this weekend, but I could see myself getting side tracked and more interested in welding up my axles.
  • Last Edit: Friday, Apr 28, 2017, 01:43 PM by RunninWild

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #147

Got the rear axle out and got most of the welding done on it before I got rained out. My welds are fugly but I'm hoping they are good enough. I ordered a some gussets from lror and I had to modify it slightly because of the breather tube on the axle. 3 of my U bolts broke when undoing them and I forgot to order new ones so itll be a while before I can get it fully back together. Decided against sandblasting it, I'm just going to hit it with a wire wheel it and then por15 and maybe some kind of topcoat if it is ever sunny on a weekend. I also managed to snap one of my hard brake lines. I couldn't get the axle side hard brake lines apart from the soft ones so I removed the other side where I was able to get the nuts free from the soft lines but one of the nuts was seized to the tub and twisted it off. Not the end of the world as its a very small line that goes into the proportioning valve.

I'm also In the middle of getting the tranny back together and I've run into a bit of a snag. My tranny kit came in the same box as my xfer case kit and I'm having a hard time figuring out what bearings go where. I'm putting the counter shaft back into the case and I have 4 bearings that will fit. 2 of them are sealed which I think are for the xfer case. 1 of them is a normal unsealed bearing, but the other has a locator ring around it like the ones on the main gear shaft. I have no more unsealed bearings of this size In my box. Am I wrong in thinking I may have been shipped the wrong bearing by accident and to just remove the locator ring? Well that's what I'm about to do. If anyone knows differently feel free to let me know so I can rip it apart and fix it.

• TDIZook
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #148
The bearing with the skinny snap ring should go on the front input shaft.
On a Toyota there are 2 like that.

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #149
My kit came with 3 ringed bearings. I got the 2 on the main shaft/input shaft and the 3rd is the same size as the bearing on the counter shaft. I removed the ring and installed it and it seems to be fine. Another odd thing I noticed is the 1 ring is almost a full circle with a gap similar to a piston ring that I had on the input shaft. There was no way it would sit in the groove in the housing so I popped the ring off and used the 5/8 circle style that was on my old bearing. Its weird because off the ring it sits in the groove perfectly there is just no way to get it in without applying more force then I would like (smashing with a large hammer kinda force).

Ive also got 3 bolts with lock washers left over that I cant figure out where they are from. 10mm head, about 12mm long and a smaller diameter thread then all the other bolts on the tranny. Hmmm.......

• TDIZook
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #150
10mm head, about 12mm long and a smaller diameter thread
Holds the shifter block to the main shift rod maybe?
Oh wait,you said there are 3 of those? not sure
  • Last Edit: Sunday, Apr 30, 2017, 02:09 AM by TDIZook

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #151
Yeah I got no clue all the threaded holes on the tranny I can find have bolts in them already...

Finished welding and painted the rear axle with por15
I also installed the rear upper shock mount. This didn't come with instructions and although install was a no brainer the bolts that the shock is supposed to hang off of is a smaller diameter then the shock bushing. I'm not quite sure if there is supposed to be a sleeve included with it or if I'm supposed to get new bushings.

I also started painting the tranny I didn't take any pics but its the same ford blue I used on the block. I'm planning on installing the engine my next pay day which would be 2 weeks from now. I want to have the tranny and transfer case reinstalled and the engine bay painted by then which shouldn't be that difficult. Depending on the weather it would also be nice to have the lift installed on the front axle as well.

I still havn't stripped the tcase yet. I got the lock nuts off a while ago and 2 of the flanges but the 1 flange is stuck on. I've tried beating on it with a hammer but it doesn't seem to want to move. Anyone have any advice? Should I just hit it harder or am I at risk of breaking something doing that? I imagine I'll need some kind of puller? My funds are running low on this build and I'd rather not have to buy a tool if its not necessary.

• Newfie-Zuk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #152
Can you support the case so the flange is facing upward  ??  If so  , spray some nut buster  or loosing agent into the valley of the flange ,  then let it soak overnight ....  ;)

Some of these flanges can be quite stubborn ,  needing a puller and/or even heat  ...  ;)

Note :  Heat will damage the oil seal ... 

P
If you are doing a Job , it's always quicker to do it right the first time ...  Cheers.... :)

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #153
Got the flange off with some creative thinking. I used some vice grips to clamp a piece of angle iron onto the flange and then pried on the angle iron against the shaft and it popped off!
I've now got the case apart and I'm at the point where I'm about to start removing the old bearings and I've noticed all the bearings in the case are unsealed and 4 of the bearings that came in my rebuild kit are sealed. Is this a big deal? I don't really have a choice at the moment unless I pop the seals off the bearings but will they last as long?

• Newfie-Zuk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #154
Got the flange off with some creative thinking. I used some vice grips to clamp a piece of angle iron onto the flange and then pried on the angle iron against the shaft and it popped off!
I've now got the case apart and I'm at the point where I'm about to start removing the old bearings and I've noticed all the bearings in the case are unsealed and 4 of the bearings that came in my rebuild kit are sealed. Is this a big deal? I don't really have a choice at the moment unless I pop the seals off the bearings but will they last as long?
Glade to hear you have it apart !  [thumbsup]

As for the sealed bearings ,  had a similar issue with one of  the Sidekick gearbox's rebuilt a few years back  ..  I emailed the company and they said it shouldn't make a difference ... I also popped into the Suzuki dealership and brought it up with them , they too have even had to deal with these sealed bearings  ... [approve]

Apparently it do not make a difference if they are sealed or not , at least from what I was told .. The Suzuki techs said they are a better bearing , and will last longer , the supplier said the oil will eventually leach into the bearing regardless..  :) :)  

However I just wasn't satisfied with either answer, so the middle sealed bearing I removed the seals from completely ... The Input shaft bearing I left alone...  Neither have presented any issues , and the case is still prefect with no noise or problems ..
[thumbsup] [thumbsup]

P

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #155
Yeah I was thinking of popping the seals off. I just don't see the point of having seals when they are meant to be splash lubricated by the gear oil. I also noticed the seals in the rebuild kit are wrong. There is 3 different sizes and I'm pretty sure only 1 of them fits the shafts. Oh well I'm gonna head to the parts store tonight and pick up new seals as well as a bearing puller so I can hopefully finish the case tonight. Its supposed to rain all week so the 2nd coat on the tranny, painting the transfer case and the engine bay are postponed again!

• Jurome
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #156
When I rebuilt my T-case it was the same thing. I sourced the same sized bearing in NSK but I could only find them in sealed. I popped the seal off on the oil bath side and left the outboard side which was on the case sealed. The guy who sold me the bearings said either way would be fine.

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #157
I ended up removing the seals. Its weird the large bearing had a metal seal on the outter side which in my mind would stop oil flow to the front wheel output shaft. After installing sealant and closing the 2 halves of the case I realized I forgot to install the 1 shim on the middle shaft. Separated the cases and got my hands covered in sealant then cleaned and resealed them to find I forgot to install the gear lock thingy for the front output shaft  ::) its 10pm and I havnt had dinner. Ill rip it apart tomorrow and finish the case. Other then that everything went fairly smooth. Some of the bearings were extremely difficult to pull from the shaft. I was afraid I was going to break the loner puller I borrowed. I had to put my body weight on my wrench while I wedged my hammer between 2 of the jaws and forced it to turn. There was a horrible cracking noise when they finally let go and started to slide.

I also found a 4x4x1/4" box beam at work about 9' long I'm going to attempt to make a rear bumper with. I may even make a different front bumper although I think the one I have now will look fine once its been blasted and painted. Its supposed to be nice on Thursday, ill attempt to finish painting the engine bay and tranny/tcase then and maybe start playing with the front axle on the weekend.
  • Last Edit: Tuesday, May 02, 2017, 01:22 AM by RunninWild

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #158
Anyone know the approximate rear bumper width? I didn't measure and the piece at work was smaller then I thought. I just eyeballs the length and cut it at 64.5" I think I went too small 😠

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #159
Anyone know the approximate rear bumper width? I didn't measure and the piece at work was smaller then I thought. I just eyeballs the length and cut it at 64.5" I think I went too small 😠
Mine is only 56-1/4".  And even that sticks out a bit from the body.

4x4x0.25" is going to be a heavy bumper.  +50lbs at least.

C|
  • Last Edit: Tuesday, May 02, 2017, 03:27 PM by cygnus x-1