Skip to main content

Topic: Electric Power Steering (EPS)  (Read 749 times) previous topic - next topic

• curtisflip
  • [*]
Electric Power Steering (EPS)
You'll need from donor
 Steering unit with control module
 the u-joint that goes through the firewall
 best to get the plug and about 12" of wires that goes into the module from the main wire harness

parts from Samurai
 Lower Steering Shaft

Tools I used
 Saws all 
 angle grinder
 welder
 12 mm wrench
Some notes:
 Measure the stock lower steering shaft before cutting it up, the finished unit should be the same length.

Best to eliminate the rag joint. You could roll with the rag joint, but I don't think it will last long as a lot of stress will be put on it.

If you do not have the plug that goes from the donor wire harness into the donor control module (I did not) hook up the battery to the module (50 amp in and ground to battery) plug the steering unit into the module then, take a 12 volt lead wire and probe each pin on the input side of the module, wait several seconds to hear if the unit clicks on. That will be the pin you need to supply 12 Volt power to to turn it on. I found it with this method. Did not damage the module.

You will need to make a bracket to hold the steering unit in position. I did not go into that here as different donors will have different mounts. I simply took two 1.5" wide by 3/16" thick straps, drilled holes in one end of each, and bent the straps to sandwich the Samurai frame beneath the steering unit. Then welded the straps to the frame.

You may need to clearance the inner fender to fit the unit in place, a small crowbar is all I needed.

Below is the list of Car that I know of that has Fail-Safe Electric Steering. Only 3 wire connection. Ignition On, Power and Ground to the Steering ECU. That's it !

2004-2009 
Toyota Prius
 2009-2013 Toyota Corolla
 2006-2011 Toyota Yaris - (With ABS)
 2007-2014 Nissan Versa

2009-2012 Nissan Cube
 2012-2014 Kia Soul

ECU Part Numbers:

2004-2009 
Toyota Prius 89650-47102
 2009-2013 Toyota Corolla 89650-02300
 2006-2011 Toyota Yaris - (With ABS) 89650-52120 / 52050
 2007-2009 Nissan Versa 28500-EM30A / 991-30303
 2009-2012 Nissan Cube 28500-1FC0B / JL501-000932
 2012-2014 Kia Soul B2563-99500 / 4PSG1312 / FPSG1312

According to the manufacturer the unit and control module are weather sealed. I may move the module to inside the cab.

My son demonstrating how easy it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90e4fUhcH_4

Gentleman named Wahid did a lot of the leg work I built off of, here is a link to his work.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...er-issues.html

Under dash using Saturn Vue

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suzuk...ng-option.html

86 Samurai, basket case re-assembled by chimp.

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: Electric Power Steering (EPS)
Reply #1
Thanks for posting this. I bought an eps from a saturn vue about a year ago but havn't gotten around to installing it yet. I ended up damaging mine when I was playing with it.

Anyways my module looks identical to yours but the "computer" is slightly different, I don't have 2 smaller plugs just one and it has 6 pins. When I was pulling mine apart it had 4 wires going into the upper part of the housing by the input shaft and I broke these thinking it was a connector and not a solid connection. Does yours have these wires? I just pulled that part of the housing and it looks like it is used to determine the shaft position but I'm not 100% sure. I'm trying to figure out if I need to replace that part from the wreckers. Heres a few pics showing the housing with the wires I'm talking about. I also just opened up the computer and it doesnt look like its insulated against the elements, I would move yours into the cabin if its anything like mine. Also found a few pots on the circuit board, maybe these are used to adjust the amount of assist? Also did you have to hammer in the wheel well at all? I have a vw diesel in my bay and there is a lot less room on that side of the engine. For mine to fit I believe I need to mount  right ontop of the frame with the canister pointed more towards the wheel

The biggest advantage of using EPS from Toyota, Nissan and Kia/Hyundai is that the EPS works in Fail-Safe. The ECU for the column is mounted remotely and cab be disconnected and removed. The EPS from Saturn Vue and Chevy Cobalt has the ECU that cannot be disconnected and must be de-soldered for remote mount. More importantly there is no Fail-Safe and a 3rd party eBay module is needed in order for it to work. Additionally , people have reported that with after market eBay module, the Saturn EPS does not self center the steering wheel coming out of a turn. You have to make constant corrections.
If I'm reading this correctly the computer from the other modules doesnt have those 4 pins going into the housing? Maybe I just need to grab the computer and upper housing from the wreckers? I wasn't aware of the lack of self centering with my unit, maybe its best to just switch over.

After looking at it closer I noticed mine only has 2 heavy gauge wires going into the motor and yours looks to have 4? Might need a whole new module after all

Do you think 3/16" is strong enough to hold it? Does it flex at all during steering?
  • Last Edit: Thursday, Feb 09, 2017, 12:27 AM by RunninWild

• curtisflip
  • [*]
Reply #2
I don't know about the Saturn brain, all I know is mine has a four wire connector that goes from the motor to the brain for the torque sensors and a two wire connector that is for 50 amp power. Both were plugs.

3/16" holds fine, the stock mounting bracket for the Versa was only 1/8".

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
It warmed up today and I had a chance to play with the eps a bit. It looks like it will fit pretty well with the vw diesel engine mounting it right near the motor mount. The long shaft on the eps is the perfect length to weld onto the upper steering U-joint and once I source the original eps U-joint I think it will be the perfect length to to match the rag joint. The only issue is the wheel well would need to be pounded in a bit. Does anyone know how close the stock tires get to the wheel well with stock suspension under "flex". looking from the driveway it looks like there is plenty of clearance...

Does anyone know if the module can be mounted backwards? Like the outlet used as the input shaft? There would be room to mount it higher up beside the brake booster if that is the case.
  • Last Edit: Saturday, Feb 11, 2017, 03:26 PM by RunninWild

• curtisflip
  • [*]
Reply #4
I believe the internal torque sensors are set up on the inlet so no, I don't think it can be run backwards. Unless you want any little bump the wheels hit spin the steering wheel out of your hands.

• curtisflip
  • [*]
Reply #5
Also there should be no clearance issues pounding the inner fender out a little, at least I have no issues with mine as it needed a little massaging with a 5 pounder. 

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Its kind of hard to tell from your pics how you eliminated the rag joint. You welded the one end onto the U joint obviously. Did you end up just bolting that to the other end of the joint or is an adapter necessary? I havn't had to look that closely at the joint yet, are they the same bolt spacing? Did you ever try to see if the upper samurai U-joint flange fits on the eps shaft or did you go straight to cutting and welding?

• curtisflip
  • [*]
Reply #7
Its kind of hard to tell from your pics how you eliminated the rag joint. You welded the one end onto the U joint obviously. Did you end up just bolting that to the other end of the joint or is an adapter necessary? I havn't had to look that closely at the joint yet, are they the same bolt spacing? Did you ever try to see if the upper samurai U-joint flange fits on the eps shaft or did you go straight to cutting and welding?

The splines were different on the donor vs the Samurai shaft so I did the cutting and welding. also the u joint on the donor shaft was at the wrong end for that to work.

• Gr8whiteninja
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #8
How is the steering off road?  Specifically when you run into a rock or other obstacle. Does the steering wheel rip out of your hands or does the eps hold?

• curtisflip
  • [*]
Reply #9
EPS holds great, was tilted hard to drivers on rock I was playing on, turned the steering wheel to help right it.[/img]

• curtisflip
  • [*]
EPS
Reply #10
Update    
Last weekend I made my 6th run with the EPS installed.
We ran Pyeatt Draw here in AZ, anyone who knows this trail knows it is non stop rock garden with several ledges to climb culminating at an impressive waterfall which is very tough (I did not attempt as Jack was with me)

All day running non stop boulder field the EPS did not miss a beat or overheat or show any sign of letting me down.

So far I've run it in heavy dust, deep water and torturous rock crawling for hours on end without any trouble whatsoever.