Skip to main content

Topic: Work Space Organizing (Read 686 times) previous topic - next topic

• redidbull
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Geek- Computer and Weather
Work Space Organizing
I want to start a thread on how you organize your garage, barn, basement, carport whatever. I have a 12 x 16 barn that is so cluttered I have no room to work. I am planning a major clean out and will be building narrow shelves so things can't get behind things. I am also going to put tape down on the floor that will be where no stuff will be allowed to live, big enough to get a vehicle in there. I may have a few cabinets but I like the idea of the open shelves. So post up you work spaces and ideas on organizing. Thanks. Jim

• onedesertdog
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Honorary Member, Krew-Krawlers. Desert Division
Re: Work Space Organizing
Reply #1
I'll be watching the responses you get, Jim.
  I need help too. My idea for cleaning clutter, etc. is to build/buy another shed...... ::)

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Willy G, The Donut King
Reply #2
Shelving, shelving, shelving.  Ill post up later. But I have a ton of racks that are always full to the brim.

Take a look into my shop.

Also homo depot has totes. Cheap
Ask me about my attention deficit disorder or pie or my cat. A dog. I have a bike. do you like TV. I saw a rock. HI!<br><br>Quote from: ack Fri May 15 2015 08:52:22 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)<br><br>I am going to agree substantially with Sean "My Body Hurts" DeVinney.

• Snydermann
  • [*][*]
Reply #4
Hooks.  Hang as much from the ceiling/rafters as you can, especially stuff like spare parts that you may not be using for a long time.
Pedantic ~ overly concerned with minute details.  I figured if Peter Griffin could use it, so could I.

• Zuki4x4
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Carb Junkie!
Reply #5
  I need help too. My idea for cleaning clutter, etc. is to build/buy another shed...... ::)
I am thinking the same thing
I priced a 20x25x10 building where there is an 8' lean-to on the width for around $8k (steel building)
I have to ask my neighbor, but if he gives it the thumbs down, I may look into a permit. 

I need a place to ..... [smiley=smash.gif] [breakputer] [thirsty] [smiley=headscratch.gif] [tantintop] :welder:

• hjalbert
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #6
I have a 30x60 steel building that was here when I bought the property. The biggest down fall is that it has a dirt floor. The lack of any moisture barrier underfoot combined with the lack of any insulations means it rains inside everyday. Till I can afford concrete anyway. I have a serious organization problem anyway. I spend more time looking for stuff than I do actually working on whatever it is I needed the thing for. Totes don't work for me, I have about 30 of them and end up dumping one into another. Shelves work, until a chicken/pig/goat gets in there and knocks everything over. I'll be following this thread. I need all the help I can get.

• Snydermann
  • [*][*]
Reply #7
I have a 30x60 steel building that was here when I bought the property. The biggest down fall is that it has a dirt floor. The lack of any moisture barrier underfoot combined with the lack of any insulations means it rains inside everyday. Till I can afford concrete anyway. 
This is true.  I saved for quite a while to put a cement floor in a part of my old dirt floor barn.  Huge difference in how dry everything remains.  I wish I could have done it sooner. 
Pedantic ~ overly concerned with minute details.  I figured if Peter Griffin could use it, so could I.

• redidbull
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Geek- Computer and Weather
Reply #8
That is funny as I did the same thing. When I ran out of room in the barn I built a 8x10 shed next to it. Now that is full. Jim

• onedesertdog
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #9
That is funny as I did the same thing. When I ran out of room in the barn I built a 8x10 shed next to it. Now that is full. Jim
I believe I'm very disorganized, that seems to be my root problem. 
  Garage, workshop, 3 sheds, and a boat barn.....all full. And it's not that I'm a hoarder,.....OK Dambit, it's because I'm a hoarder...
              ;D

• buckhornbob
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • 2014/15 Zu Barbie Jeep Champion builder
Reply #10
Turtle lovers are just that way.

robert
88.5 sammi 5.12's locker front and rear,6.5 t-case, twin sticks.<br /> 3" lift springs,trac/kick  power steering, crabs frt/rear<br />93 tracker 8v auto w/4dr front brakes<br />05 QUV(3010 kaw mule)2" lift<br />88 sammi  tin top bone stock<br />90 tracker 8v 5 speed

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #11
I have a serious organization problem anyway. I spend more time looking for stuff than I do actually working on whatever it is I needed the thing for. Totes don't work for me, I have about 30 of them and end up dumping one into another. Shelves work, until a chicken/pig/goat gets in there and knocks everything over. I'll be following this thread. I need all the help I can get.
The secret to using totes/bins/containers is to first have a plan for how you're going to use them.  Going out and buying a bunch of random totes isn't going to help you if you don't know exactly what you're going to put into them.  You'll end up with ones that are either too big or too small; too many of one kind and not enough of another.  The first task in any organizational project is to take an inventory of what you have.  Then you work out a plan for how you want to organize the stuff.  Figure what things will likely be accessed often and what things just need to be stored.  Smaller clear bins are good for things that need to be accessed often, because you can see what's inside and they are easy to carry to where they are needed.  For things that just need to be stored, larger opaque bins are ok as long as they are labeled.
The other thing about being organized is that it takes some discipline to keep it going.  When you're done with something, always put it back where it came from.  This doesn't mean you have to do it immediately, it just means that when you're through with a job you have to clean up and put everything away *before* you go on to the next job.  Once you get into the habit of doing this it becomes second nature and you don't have to think about it.
C|

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #12
OK.  First few pics is the original part of my neighbors garage.   It was like 20x25. That is where most of my sami was built.  It wasn't until 2009 that he added on 30x40.  Anyways.  He has to make that work. He made slide out drawers. They aren't clean. But they work fine. The baby jars are from a neighbor with a day car center. 

The later pictures are his new shop. And he made an amazing moving table. With air and electrical outlets built in. 

And every piece of equipment is on wheels. 
Ask me about my attention deficit disorder or pie or my cat. A dog. I have a bike. do you like TV. I saw a rock. HI!<br><br>Quote from: ack Fri May 15 2015 08:52:22 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)<br><br>I am going to agree substantially with Sean "My Body Hurts" DeVinney.

• buckhornbob
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • 2014/15 Zu Barbie Jeep Champion builder
Reply #13
Watching hoping to learn something useful.
 [popcorn]  [popcorn]  [popcorn]

robert
 [whitesamside]  [whitesamurai]
88.5 sammi 5.12's locker front and rear,6.5 t-case, twin sticks.<br /> 3" lift springs,trac/kick  power steering, crabs frt/rear<br />93 tracker 8v auto w/4dr front brakes<br />05 QUV(3010 kaw mule)2" lift<br />88 sammi  tin top bone stock<br />90 tracker 8v 5 speed

• onedesertdog
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #14
Watching hoping to learn something useful.
 [popcorn]  [popcorn]  [popcorn]

robert
 [whitesamside]  [whitesamurai]
 I don't think we have that much time, Robert.... :P

;D

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #15
Come on people.  You all need to post more pics....

• carolinarigman
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #17
I took a picture of my shop inside the door.
It's so ugly it broke my camera! ;D

Anyway, I guess I'm a "hoarder" too.
Sorry for the language! ::)
Picture is of my Uwharrie campsite before I got my Zuk!

• melbakid
  • [*]
  • Sparky
Reply #18
Bad Zuki love the tool tray!! [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Great Idea hanging the wrenches for easy access!
There are only 2 types of Samurai's: Those we need & those we want!
9/13: Goldilocks 88.5 Samurai ST 29's on 15x7's
11/13: 95 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR Parts car
2/15: Red Ryder 88.5 Samurai TT 4.16 TC w/ TT shifter, MKII, SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME Stabilizer, ZOR seats

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #19
I keep mine organized by getting rid of all junk I don't need. :D Standard 2 car garage with 2 cars in it doesn't leave room for much else. I refuse to park my vehicles outside when I have a garage to park them in. :). I have a simple harbor freight tool chest complete with Zuki vendor stickers and the tools all have a place. I don't do much (any) fab work so that keeps the mess down. The washer and dryer are out in the garage and they double as work benches when I need them. In fact, most of this crap piled up in here belongs to my sister and her family while they are relocating. I let them use my space instead of paying for a storage unit. Once their junk is out, I plan on putting more shelves in and bringing my 1980's Magnavox stereo out there to listen to some tunes while I work.