Skip to main content

Topic: TracKick Power Steering Install on 1.3L (Read 685 times) previous topic - next topic

• 87Rhino
  • [*][*][*]
TracKick Power Steering Install on 1.3L
I added PS to the little 1.3 over last weekend and thought I would do a little write up to possibly help others who are going to do the install.

1 - Remove coolant overflow tank and radiator supports, I already had a 1.6 crank pulley that I had redrilled to the 4 hole 1.3l crank pulley pattern.  If i hadn't already had that installed I would recommend draining coolant and removing radiator to make more room to get to crank pulley bolts and also more room to get to steering box bolts.  If you have the pulley already installed you can just remove the drivers side radiator support and remove lower bolts from passenger side support and shift radiator as far as possible to passenger side and hold over with bungee cord.

2 - Once Steering box is accessible remove bolts from one side of rag joint and bolt out of top joint on the steering shaft.

3 - Turn wheels to the left as far as possible to there the stock pitman arm is exposed on the drivers side fenderwell.  Remove cotter pin from tie rod end and loosen nut to where it only has 6-7 threads engaged and the nut is spaced up away from pitman arm.  Strike the pitman arm with a hammer to break loose the tie rod end from the pitman arm.  Once the tie rod end is loose remove the nut and drag link i out of the way, you can see where I hit the pitman arm in the pictures below.

4 - Remove the bolts going through the frame for the steering box and remove steering box from frame. Once steering box is out of frame remove the through bolt from the lower section of the rag joint and remove it from the spline on the original steering gear and move it over to the TracKick steering Box.  Also this is a good time to loosen the return line on the steering box and aim it in the direction you want the return hose to go and retighten.

5 - I used the PW Wedge to mount the TracKick steering gear to the frame of the Samurai.  I initially mounted it to the frame and tried to mount the box to the wedge once it was bolted to the frame.  I ended up taking the wedge off the frame and mounting it to the steering box then sliding the whole thing in as an assembly.  I also removed the small bolt and lock nut off of the TracKick pitman arm to make it easier to get the box installed around the lower splash shield.  Most say it is required to cut a small portion of the lower portion of the grill out to fit the TracKick steering box.  I did not have to cut anything yet once I got the box installed I just took a small pry bar and put a small dimple in the grill to where it would clear the steering box.

6 - Now that the steering box is installed crawl under the rig and make sure the pitman arm is in center steer.  Place the holes in the pitman arm parallel with the frame.  Now go into the cab and make sure you steering wheel is centered.  Make sure it is truly centered in its rotation, if the steering wheel is just leveled but is a full rotation off you could loose the turn signal cancelation when the wheel comes back to center after a turn.  once wheel and steering box are centered align wheels as straight as possible and attach drag link to pitman arm.

7 - Now you will likely have to shorten your steering shaft to be able to attach it back to the rag joint.  I did so with a hammer and a small block of wood.  Take a measurement of how much the shaft will need shortened by installing the top splines back in the joint and measuring how much the flange is sticking past the rag joint.  Transfer the measurement over to smaller end of the shaft in the middle where the two shafts mate, place block on ground put splined end of shaft down onto block and use hammer to shorten the shaft.  Do this in small increments and test fit multiple times.  It is very hard to lengthen the shaft once it has been shortened, also note that the splined joint on the box side does have a small amount of slip spline that makes installing shaft easier and also makes it to where the steering shaft length does not have to be exact but you do want it to be very close.

8 - Now install the pump onto the relocation bracket you have purchased, I used a Trail Tough bracket I got second hand off of the Classifieds on here.  You can now mount the pump and bracket to the engine and install the pressure hose from the pump to the box as well as the 3/8" and 5/8" hoses to the pump and box.

9 - You can now mount the reservoir in a suitable location for your application.  I'm not going to include many details on this because everyone's application will be different just try to get the reservoir to where it is the highest point in the whole system.  I mounted mine to the fender on the drivers side near the firewall with a bracket I made.

10 - Next you can install the belt and set the tension.  Trail Tough kit comes with a 350K4 belt but since I pieced everything together and didn't buy a kit from a vendor I ended up using a 355K4 belt because of availability at my local O'Reilly's.

11 - Now you can reinstall the radiator supports, coolant overflow bottle and position radiator back in its original position.  It may be necessary to use a small spacer on the driverside lower radiator support bolts to space it over to clear the new larger steering box.

12 - finally you can fill the system with fluid.  Once the reservoir is full it is a good idea to turn the steering front lock to lock with the engine off and the front wheels off the ground to help with the bleeding process, or you can just start the engine for a couple seconds then recheck the fluid level.  You do not want to allow the pump to run without fluid, once the reservoir appears to be full using the above bleeding procedure start the engine and cycle the steering from lock to lock and recheck fluid level.

Now go out and enjoy the new found pleasure of driving a samurai with power steering.  I also apologize for the lack of pictures for the last few steps my 3 year old decided to come help me towards the end of the install so I forgot to take pictures ;D

Hope this helps someone in the future,
Jeremy
  • Last Edit: Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016, 01:11 PM by 87Rhino
87 Samurai TT, Weber, Pacesetter Header, 2" Exhaust, Rhino Lined exterior, DIY 2.5 lifted YJ SPUA, 32x11.5r15's.

• LiveLine
  • [*][*][*]
Re: TracKick Power Steering Install on 1.3L
Reply #1
nice write up  [thumbsup]

thanks

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Reply #2
Sure is a nice writeup!  This should go in the How-To.  [thumbsup]
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• 87Rhino
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #3
Sure is a nice writeup!  This should go in the How-To.  [thumbsup]
Bee you can move to however you see fit! just wanted to contribute a little to the site as it has helped me out with a lots of things!
87 Samurai TT, Weber, Pacesetter Header, 2" Exhaust, Rhino Lined exterior, DIY 2.5 lifted YJ SPUA, 32x11.5r15's.

• mistawiskas
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #4
I'm doing the same exact upgrade today. Thanks for the pointers based on real experience.
It's when a mosquito lands on your testicles, that you know that not all problems can be solved with violence.

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Reply #5
Bee you can move to however you see fit! just wanted to contribute a little to the site as it has helped me out with a lots of things!
Thanks for taking the time to work it up and sharing it.  Someone will find it helpful.  That's what makes this place great.   [thumbsup]  
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• Bearcat 74
  • [*][*]
Reply #6
Will the power steering setup on a 1.6 16V fit up on a 1.3?  There is a donor at the junkyard but I read somewhere that the 1.6 8v and 1.6 16v have different setups and the 16v won't work with the 1.3?

Thanks

• 87Rhino
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #7
Will the power steering setup on a 1.6 16V fit up on a 1.3?  There is a donor at the junkyard but I read somewhere that the 1.6 8v and 1.6 16v have different setups and the 16v won't work with the 1.3?

Thanks
I believe the only difference between the tracker setups is the 1996 and up had an aluminum pump where the earlier trackers have a cast steel pump.  Steering box should all be the same.

• mistawiskas
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #8
I believe the only difference between the tracker setups is the 1996 and up had an aluminum pump where the earlier trackers have a cast steel pump.  Steering box should all be the same.
I believe the same thing also. same pump for different engines. The block mount may differ though.
I just finished my install and...............Holy mackerel! OH MAN! WOW!
Not many problems other than the odd bolt not lining up well or just plain hard to get to. there's not as much space under the hood now.
I had to trim a section of the lower front fascia to get the steering gear to line up. A 1/4" is all it took. the hardest part of the whole project was messing around with the radiator. I opted to completely remove the thing to facilitate replacing the crank pulley. i got a nice billet aluminum one with TT's track-kick 1.3 install kit. I too went with the Petroworks wedge and everything lined up nicely. The steering shaft is as strait as a preacher or straighter. In addition, I re-used the rag joint eliminator I had so collapsing the shaft was a breeze. I now have a spare new one that came with my kit.
I'll get a pic of the install later. My hands were numb by the time I finished. If I don't have a call come back on a work order, I may install my LED dash lights and adjust my clutch Friday.
It's when a mosquito lands on your testicles, that you know that not all problems can be solved with violence.

• Bearcat 74
  • [*][*]
Reply #9
I found a PS setup on a 1.6 8v at the yard today so I collected everything but I forgot and left the lower steering shaft.

I also came away with a pair of 4.30 front 3rd members, woot woot!

• mistawiskas
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #10
Nice! What size tires you plan on using with the 4:3's?
I've got 33X10.5 and 4:62's and I'm not too sure It's a good combo for street driving. I do like that my speedometer is correct though.

• Bearcat 74
  • [*][*]
Reply #11

I was thinking of running 30x9.5's or 31x10.5's.  I already have 4.16 t-case gears so with the 12% high range reduction I wonder if it won't be to low?  Mine is more of a DD/deer lease vehicle. 

• Bearcat 74
  • [*][*]
Reply #12
Also, this will probably be a dumb question, but what pulleys do you use?  Pull the serpentine pulleys from the Tracker crank, alt, and water pump?

• 87Rhino
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #13
Also, this will probably be a dumb question, but what pulleys do you use?  Pull the serpentine pulleys from the Tracker crank, alt, and water pump?
I have a complete 1.6 setting in the garage that I robbed the water pump pulley and alternator off of. The 1.6 alternator pulley wouldn't fit the 1.3 alternator so I swapped the whole assembly.  The 1.6 water pump pulley is a direct swap, the crank pulley needs redrilled to the 4 bolt samurai pattern.. so if pulling from a junk yard I would recommend getting the crank pulley, water pump pulley, alternator, and complete power steering setup. Also if you're not going to use the PW wedge grab the TracKick steering shaft also. 

• Bearcat 74
  • [*][*]
Reply #14
Thanks, looks like I'm headed back to the yard!

• Bearcat 74
  • [*][*]
Reply #15
I have a 1.6 alternator on my 1.3 but I have the v drive pulley.  I came away from the yard today with everything except the alternator pulley. 

• 87Rhino
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #16
I have a 1.6 alternator on my 1.3 but I have the v drive pulley.  I came away from the yard today with everything except the alternator pulley.
Good deal, if you were able to get all the pulleys and the crank pulley from the 1.6 that you can re drill you should be good to go! 

• mistawiskas
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #17
I am so glad I got the pulley from trail Tough. The job went so well and everything lined up perfectly.
http://www.trailtough.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=47&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

• Bearcat 74
  • [*][*]
Reply #18
I'm on 215/75r15's and I'm going to a 235/75 or a 30/9.50 but I keep seeing how sensitive Sami's are when adding power steering.  As a DD'ish vehicle with smaller tires will I regret putting PS on?

• 87Rhino
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #19
I'm on a bit larger tire than that (32x11.5), but in my situation it does feel as though the steering is a little too touchy at about 65mph as compared to the stock steering.  I do however believe that adding a steering damper back on it would solve all the issues.  I wouldn't ever go back to stock steering setup now that I have the PS setup.

Jeremy