Skip to main content

Topic: Introduction and a lift question  (Read 319 times) previous topic - next topic

• Grizzly_Adams
  • [*]
Introduction and a lift question
So I'm new to the board kind of and new to track/kicks. I spent a good bit of time in the Samurai section about 8 years ago.
Anyway I'm in the process of trying to unload my dd Honda hatchback to get a track/kick.

I've already done a bunch of reading and searching online and I think I found a pretty good deal. 98 tracker 4door 5 speed 4x4 with an 01 tracker parts rig less the drive train.

The question is will the front springs from the tracker give the same lift as grand vit springs or not? Also where is the search button located, I've been using google to try and search the sight but there has to be a better way.

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Re: Introduction and a lift question
Reply #1
Welcome to the Zu Grizzly.  8)

The search located under the Community tab in the upper left corner.  If you're on a mobile it's the icon to the far left.  Users must be logged in to use it.  [thumbsup]

Good luck with your build.  We love seeing more builds here.  Have fun!  :)
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• Grizzly_Adams
  • [*]
Reply #2
Thank you, found the search but I'm still not having much luck. Are 01 tracker/GV coils the same/interchangeable? Can I expect the same lift putting them in a 4 door kick?

• IanL
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #3
Afaik, the 2nd generation Tracker and the Grand Vitara are the same vehicle, apart from trim variation and (in some cases) wheel and brake sizes.  So there should be no difference in the coils.

• Grizzly_Adams
  • [*]
Reply #4
Afaik, the 2nd generation Tracker and the Grand Vitara are the same vehicle, apart from trim variation and (in some cases) wheel and brake sizes.  So there should be no difference in the coils.

That's what I was hoping to hear, and as it's a package deal I'm not out anything if it's a bust...
And it sounds like accord, xj,tj and e-150 rear springs will all match these? Or relatively close to.

• olija
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #5
Keep in mind that most Trackers are 2.0 four-cylinders and all Grand Vitaras are the 2.5 V6. The springs on the V6 model will be stiffer to compensate for the heavier engine. So the springs off the Tracker likely won't give as much lift as the GV springs since they aren't as stiff.
97 4 door kick
1.5" lift, 2" body lift, no swaybar, skids, 2" catback, sliders -SOLD
01 Vitara 2.0L
2.5" lift, 2" body lift, 5.13 diffs, 4.24:1 t-case, Detroit Locker rear - SOLD
03 XL7 2.7L 5-speed
3" AE lift with Aerostar rear coils, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 235/80R17 BFG A/T KO's

• Grizzly_Adams
  • [*]
Reply #6
Keep in mind that most Trackers are 2.0 four-cylinders and all Grand Vitaras are the 2.5 V6. The springs on the V6 model will be stiffer to compensate for the heavier engine. So the springs off the Tracker likely won't give as much lift as the GV springs since they aren't as stiff.

Yeah I'm actually counting on it, I intend to do some light weight armor all around so, front and rear it'll gain weight.

• Grizzly_Adams
  • [*]
Reply #7
The deal I mentioned above didn't end up working out then life happened for a few months but, I'm back on the hunt.

I'm curious though how many of you dd/ww your rigs? Honestly the weekend wheeling won't be that extream just fire roads, trail riding and where ever I end up while hunting. 

What kind of realistic gas mileage can a guy expect with the combination of a mild lift and tires and a lead foot?

• Grizzly_Adams
  • [*]
Reply #9
18 - 20 perhaps.
That's not great at 10-16mpg less than my current commuter but it's better than my old Taco.
So another question, I've gathered from my reading that the kick sports are an odd duck and I'll likely avoid them unless it's a deal I can't refuse. How about any of the other sub models? There's a ZR2 in my area I know it's a 6 rather than 4 but the add claims 29 mpg Hwy and I could see the 6 helping with the occasional trailer load of firewood and other trailer chores.

Also reliability wise are the new trackers as good as a kick/GV or is it more like and American made care than Japanese?

• Last Edit: Sunday, Apr 23, 2017, 01:09 PM by Grizzly_Adams

• IanL
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #10
Also reliability wise are the new trackers as good as a kick/GV or is it more like and American made care than Japanese?
If by new Tracker you mean the second generation (98-05), they are, if anything, more reliable than the first generation, because they have benefited from the lessons learned.  Those made from 03 on also got a lot of fixes pointed up by the earlier production.

• Grizzly_Adams
  • [*]
Reply #11
If by new Tracker you mean the second generation (98-05), they are, if anything, more reliable than the first generation, because they have benefited from the lessons learned.  Those made from 03 on also got a lot of fixes pointed up by the earlier production.
That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm looking at a 2002 tracker that hopefully I'll be picking up next weekend.