Skip to main content

Topic: Mo Power relays (Read 904 times) previous topic - next topic

• mistawiskas
  • [*][*][*]
Re: Mo Power relays
Reply #20
I'll eventually get to the white overlays. It's on the to-do list.
I decided out the git-go that the high beam indicator was already more than bright enough. I'll also not be changing out the incandescent
bat warning light because of the need to maintain the resistance for the alternator warning circuit to work correctly.
It's when a mosquito lands on your testicles, that you know that not all problems can be solved with violence.

• mistawiskas
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #21
A short pictorial of my escapades for this day. It's not too great a tutorial, more like an essay.

FIRST! pulled both negative battery cables, then pulled the positive ones. It's too late in the year for fireworks.
(Or too early if you count New Years Eve)

pic #1:
Ummmm.....yeah! Where do I put 6 relays and a fuse block?

pic #2:
Hmmmm....I don't need a jack up here. I'll just shove it under the seat. Let's temporarily pull the water bottle too. [idea]

pic #3:
I cut off the top part of the jack holder. The rest of the holder made a good mounting place.
I cut some aluminum for a heatsink, dry fitted it, loosely sat the water bottle back in and located the buss bar.

pic #4:
 Then I drilled the aluminum and mounted the relays

pic #5:
I installed the fuse block in the best spot I had left.
I hooked up the positive and negative leads to the proper locations while shivering and cussing. It was 40 degrees outside where I was working. Gotta love me some fresh air! ;D

pic #6
I capped off the unused red wires and shoved the relay wires I wasn't going to hook up today into a chunk of split loom for safe keeping. i made darned sure to get the two most important relays hooked up and working.
Those two being: stereo amp and light bar :P

pic #7: I remounted the water bottle, made sure no wires were going to ever rub on anything and call it good for today. It's so cold outside, I had to fire this samurai up and take it for a good spin in the boondocks. I'll wire up the relays for the 'run' and 'acc' sides of the ignition switch Friday or Saturday. I'll give an update as to how well things work after that.

• Last Edit: Thursday, Dec 01, 2016, 07:28 PM by mistawiskas
It's when a mosquito lands on your testicles, that you know that not all problems can be solved with violence.

• melbakid
  • [*]
  • Sparky
Reply #22
I would be a little hesitant to install the relays upside down. I know they are potted, but the connectors are not. So if you get some water on that really nice layout it may short out some of the terminals. If the relays were mounted with the terminals pointed down it would give it a chance to drain any moisture or condensate  away. I am speaking purely from experience. The install is first class looking. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]  You can do my wiring any time. ;D  H3ll, your whole rig is first class. [thumbsup]
There are only 2 types of Samurai's: Those we need & those we want!
9/13: Goldilocks 88.5 Samurai ST 29's on 15x7's
11/13: 95 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR Future parts car
2/15: Red Ryder 88.5 Samurai TT 4.16 TC w/ TT shifter, MKII, SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME Steering Stabilizer,

• mistawiskas
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #23
I was thinking about a cover of some sort. Something that will block condensation and that will protect the spaghetti also. I have a few ideas
for such a thing.

edit:
Upon further examination, You're correct. I'm going to figure out a way to invert these. The big drawback is the way the pigtails interlock. This is going to be a project that evolves....a proccess, not an event. Tinkerer's creed: conceive, gather components, tinker, prove concept, tinker, change mind, tinker, improve, tinker, improve improvement, tinker, tinker some more.
  • Last Edit: Friday, Dec 02, 2016, 07:49 AM by mistawiskas

• mistawiskas
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #24
After an afternoon of "tinkering", I got everything right side up, wired in and working perfectly. My-oh-my! There is a difference between lo and hi on that windshield wiper...the OP is right! The fan on the heater blows good hot air on my feet, even if I move them away from the outlet. And now, my headlights are actually white light!

Picture proof that i actually got out in the cold weather and re-vamped my setup. The last two pics are a before and after shot:

• Zuki4x4
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Carb Junkie!
Reply #25
Sweet!

• Reddog1
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #26
It can't work correctly, it is neat and organized. On second look, it ain't perfect cause it ain't got no labels.

Just a cheap shot at humor. Looks absolutely great. Although mine are functional, it is not remotely as neat. Good job.

Wayne

• mistawiskas
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #27
It can't work correctly, it is neat and organized. On second look, it ain't perfect cause it ain't got no labels.

Just a cheap shot at humor. Looks absolutely great. Although mine are functional, it is not remotely as neat. Good job.

Wayne
Shoot! I knew I was forgetting something...shoot! [thumbsup]
I'm a fan of split loom., Back in the day all we used to have was electrical tape. I do have two extra relays on there for future upgrades like LED headlights or extra light bar. I was going to rework some of the ground wires that are grounded to the chassis and put them in the buss bar. But, they aren't giving me trouble and today.....nice weather, I'm going out shooting!

• Spokerider
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #28
Your wiring looks good mistawiskas.

Because I lack the skills to figure out complex zuki wiring  [lol], I bought one of these. 
 Hoping it will simplify my wiring when I get to installing it. 

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/auxiliary-fuse-relay-panel.352802/
Tough as nails and dang near as smart.

• mistawiskas
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #29
This is the one I was originally thinking of getting.
https://www.selloscope.com/bez/Universal-Waterproof-RelayFuse-Distribution-Box-Cooper/B01FWILLR0
Then i decided: "where's the fun in that?" ;D
Consult 'the tinkerer's creed' above. besides, with what I saved, I was able to put this stock on my 10/22:

• Last Edit: Saturday, Dec 03, 2016, 06:16 PM by mistawiskas

• melbakid
  • [*]
  • Sparky
Reply #30
This is the one I was originally thinking of getting.
https://www.selloscope.com/bez/Universal-Waterproof-RelayFuse-Distribution-Box-Cooper/B01FWILLR0
Then i decided: "where's the fun in that?" ;D
Consult 'the tinkerer's creed' above. besides, with what I saved, I was able to put this stock on my 10/22:
Now your just showing off!! [lol]  I couldn't find the relay on the 10/22, did you hide it in the bottom of the magazine? :laugh:
There are only 2 types of Samurai's: Those we need & those we want!
9/13: Goldilocks 88.5 Samurai ST 29's on 15x7's
11/13: 95 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR Future parts car
2/15: Red Ryder 88.5 Samurai TT 4.16 TC w/ TT shifter, MKII, SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME Steering Stabilizer,

• mistawiskas
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #31
storage compartment in the handgrip ;D