Skip to main content

Topic: Embedding pictures from google photos (Read 516 times) previous topic - next topic

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Embedding pictures from google photos
This is sort of a test post to test the persistence of links to photos on google.  There are several methods for getting links and not all of them will be persistent so I'm trying to figure out what works.

[minor rant on]
This would be less of an issue if we could edit our old posts, like if the links go bad and you need to fix them in the future.  Right now you have to create new posts which really disrupts the flow of a thread.
[minor rant off]

If anyone else has any knowledge about embedding links to google photos , e.g. what is easiest and always works, please speak up.  Also tied in with this is image orientation.  It seems that some methods of embedding photos will hose up the orientation, which is seriously annoying.  I think this has something to do with the forum software but I haven't confirmed that yet.  Anyway, on with the testing.

This is a link from google photos "get shareable link", direct paste:

https://goo.gl/photos/3dtgpwyDcRWMfLqW7

Then paste into the forum "insert an image" function: (I know this doesn't work but I'm including it for completeness)

C|

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Re: Embedding pictures from google photos
Reply #1
Next, copy image location from google photos.

direct paste:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/NBIxvcUiZu7WBlIBrLiP_C4QZwR98TqvbqZtVlLhNVQFC7vWf_byqf1uZPiZ6-gI2lQ8nDkxhozvHow8NMl5J2nNu2GVO50FGUtEnK9sPJhn5rpwf4iuxJRQp91bKBmn80iNR1hbgQV4JlMwzf0Z2GX2zK4N_Rzpb61vm6RBFaQrazHZ4tUoZklY0vlIKxQeebUIABJ2MiGmg890XAOUhaWn4d49pzklPyPBUDW-e1pWgRsmVC0ekg4U945B1QOuIAlp7P1zRB25IOpqOFLnUPP0HrAvcq8PEbykNTT6VrM3Cr10S8eGofB_WSXddMU01teu-Et4jUETqTZzwvHgEbe-59HqMWD7ppeVmX9CDK7LTLpHvJye4YWzgb_s3oWjPkRlh_SNXaSFCR48ymCfCP4-e1lOqNQSDO4h8Qu1KseszXhUAynilsfdKhcfHDT3Mmaqt8sgEstxRPwxp8KT7cVbDOMZz4BjEsfqJuVuTkDEETIB2GuSPjWqHqf7ZhvpUIRgj-QF2gW30YxmDibaJte9EW6eIuEISCc_82bTU1Ilee5sqw-rUAWnsFdf7sc4H4cHjc1gXjUhVr2vjLZ-ggpDsgDoW0-Qz_dEBp2DIRwFwDjUpA=w583-h777-no

paste into "insert image" function:

This (above) seems to work with correct orientation but may not be persistent.

Lets try "copy image" from google photos

direct paste

And then paste into "insert image" function:

Ok this doesn't work because the object in the clipboard is not text.  Turning off the WYSIWYG editor I can see that copying the image as in the direct paste above (not the location) just gets the same link as copying the location but encapsulates it in html tags.  Fair enough.

I think this is all we can do from photos.

C|

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #2
And then, we can get to the same image from Google drive.

First get shareable link,

direct paste

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0P1j7Mofp2KWmJaMVZsRXJtcms

and paste into "insert image" function:

I also already know the above doesn't work, but there is a hack that does.  You can change the url by replacing "open" with "uc".  So lets try that...

direct paste

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B0P1j7Mofp2KWmJaMVZsRXJtcms

And paste into "insert image" function:

I know the above works and is supposed to be persistent but the orientation gets hosed, I think by the forum software because if I paste the same url into the browser directly it shows the image with the correct orientation.  This makes me want to club baby seals.

C|

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #3
From google drive there is another sort of roundabout method where you double click a file to display the image, then click "share" and it will give you a different link.  This method is really slow and cumbersome but lets try it anyway.

direct paste:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0P1j7Mofp2KWmJaMVZsRXJtcms/view?usp=sharing

paste into "insert image" function:

Doesn't work which is fine because it sucks anyway.

C|

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #4
So can anyone else see any of the pictures embedded above?  You should be able to see two in the correct orientation and one that's turned 90 degrees.

C|

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Reply #5
Looks good here. 

Users are welcome to embed from other sites.  That said, why not upload them as attachments?
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #6
Looks good here. 

Users are welcome to embed from other sites.  That said, why not upload them as attachments?
Because 3 images per post isn't enough and it's more work.
C|

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #7
No worries.  Just curious.  [thumbsup]

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #8
Here's the thing - you have impeccable timing.....turns out there have been things in the works already.....

Good news, and good news.  First, the good news.

Recently a server update became available.  It's been one I've been anticipating for a while.  In short it allows a configuration affecting how pic uploads are handled.  What does that mean?  It means the software can now be configured to allow more uploads per post without sucking the life out of other people trying to surf the site.

The update occurred last weekend.  There may have been very brief periods of server/site hooliganisms.  Errors, blank pages, and unavailabilities were possible if you were unlucky enough to click at just the wrong moment.  

There are still limitations.  The current max file size is 15M.  I'm still investigating that number.  There still comes a point where things choke regardless of configuration.  After all, there's a reason no one builds a 23 liter engine....right?    Even if uploading files that large were practical it may not be in the best experience for the person uploading it either.  Save yourself a lot of data and time....resize it before uploading.  You'll thank yourself for it.    

Actual memory file size isn't the only consideration.  "Physical" file dimensions can be problematic as well.  If you get an error suggesting missing post data, this is likely the problem.  I haven't tacked down an actual number, nor whether it's the software or server that cries uncle.  The problem occurs somewhere north of 2000 pix wide or tall.  Pix that large are far larger than most viewing screens.  It makes little sense to take photos with dimensions that large for precisely that reason.  The most practical solution is again...resize the pic.  

Users may now upload a MAX of 10 pix per post, with an individual MAX file size of 15M, with a total MAX of 45M.  If one of those is over the limit, the entire thing will fail. 

The new software gives us another nice feature...the drag and drop.  It includes individual upload progress meters.  Be aware of one small pitfall:  when the last file reads 100%, wait until the little red X turns to a red -.  Until that happens the file hasn't closed out yet.  

The new limits are on an experimental, probationary basis.  They are subject to change should the site/server or users experience issues as a result.  Happy pictaring!  

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #9
10 pictures per post is much better than 3 so hooray for that.  I still like embedding links though because you can put text around them, whereas attached pictures all show up at the bottom (there should be a way to reference attachments inline but I haven't figured it out yet).  I also can't seem to attach pictures directly from google photos; I have to dig them out of google drive in order for drag and drop to work.  And that gets problematic for photos that are only stored in "photos" and not in "drive" specifically (you can get these but it's cumbersome).

Some of these issues may be caused by limitations of google photos which of course we have no control over.  I'll keep experimenting though.

I've attached in image to this post.  Lets see where it goes.

C|

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #10
I see no reason.....

[attach]

....you can't type around an attachment.  ;D

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #11
Just as I figured, it goes to the end.  And the orientation is wrong.   >:(
That's not google's fault because I can drag the image directly into the body of this post and the orientation will be correct.

Like this:

C|

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #13
There is a tag to do so.  It comes with a caveat - I happen to know the beta version for the coming update uses a similar yet slightly different syntax.  The point is it probably isn't best to put in in widespread use yet.  Anyway - here are some tag examples:

If you wanted to post three attachments in the loaded order:

Code: [Select]
Text
[attach]
Moar text
[attach]
still moar something text
[attach]
Have a nice day text

But if for some reason they're out of order:

Code: [Select]
Text
[attach=1]
Moar text
[attach=2]
still moar something text
[attach=3]
You get the idea text

If someone uses the tags in their current syntax they will be broken upon the update.  It isn't a complete disaster, though.  The attachments will fall back to default display under the post.  So not all is lost.  [thumbsup]

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #14
Ok, so there isn't a button for that tag yet because it's still being worked on?  What about the orientation?  When images are attached the orientation breaks sometimes.

C|

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #15
Ok, so there isn't a button for that tag yet because it's still being worked on?  What about the orientation?  When images are attached the orientation breaks sometimes.

C|
Correct.  Orientation is apparently a nasty creature for coding.  Well, kind of.  Flipping 90 or 180 or whatever can be done in a single line.  But that's applying an absolute.  The challenge comes in auto orientation recognition with correction.  The software already does this, actually, relying on exif information for the correction.  Sometimes exif information gets corrupted or is simply incorrect.  Maybe it doesn't get transferred with the file for whatever reason.  Or some people disable exif info on their devices.  I'm one of them!  Exif info contains items like your !@#$ location.  So there's that.....  The price is not having auto orientation.  When in doubt take pix landscape orientation.   ;)

There are active conversations among the devs for a manual correction process.  Perhaps some point in the coming version? 

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #16
Correct.  Orientation is apparently a nasty creature for coding.  Well, kind of.  Flipping 90 or 180 or whatever can be done in a single line.  But that's applying an absolute.  The challenge comes in auto orientation recognition with correction.  The software already does this, actually, relying on exif information for the correction.  Sometimes exif information gets corrupted or is simply incorrect.  Maybe it doesn't get transferred with the file for whatever reason.  Or some people disable exif info on their devices.  I'm one of them!  Exif info contains items like your !@#$ location.  So there's that.....  The price is not having auto orientation.  When in doubt take pix landscape orientation.  ;)

There are active conversations among the devs for a manual correction process.  Perhaps some point in the coming version?

I know about the exif information but I'm not sure where it's getting hosed.  When I look at this particular image anywhere else it shows correctly.  I can also view the exif info in the original file so I know it's there.  There seems to be something that happens when the image is processed by the forum software, because it only gets messed up when the image is attached or you use the "insert image" function, which basically just puts image tags around it.

C|

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #17
Not sure if this helps at all.  If I save the image I only get partial exif data.  Nothing about orientation.  Perhaps the software defaults to displaying exif free pix to landscape?  Just wondering since it's taller than wide... ???

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #18
Not sure if this helps at all.  If I save the image I only get partial exif data.  Nothing about orientation.  Perhaps the software defaults to displaying exif free pix to landscape?  Just wondering since it's taller than wide... ???

Which image, the attached one?  It should, which means it's being stripped.  But where?  Hmmm....

C|

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #19

Which image, the attached one?  It should, which means it's being stripped.  But where?  Hmmm....

C|
My bad.  No, the embedded one.