Skip to main content

Topic: The search function doesn't search subjects (Read 209 times) previous topic - next topic

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
The search function doesn't search subjects
It seems that the search function doesn't search the thread subject lines, or at least doesn't search all of them.  I tried searching for the word "brake" in subject lines only and got two hits.   ???   There is no way there are only two threads with the word "brake" in the subject lines.

C|

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Re: The search function doesn't search subjects
Reply #1
You "broke" it?  ;D   Seriously, everything seems in working order.  I'll approach the software devs on this one.   [thumbsup]
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #3

How did you guess?  ;D

Nah, we know it isn't true.  Some of it actually works.  [lol]

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #4
You "broke" it?  ;D  Seriously, everything seems in working order.  I'll approach the software devs on this one.  [thumbsup]

Probably.  I'm good at that.  ;D

My build thread has the word "extravaganza" in the subject line.  I challenge you to find it using the search function.

Also, it seems that sometimes when using the search it will just sit there and after a few seconds I get a gateway timeout error (504).  When it does this the site seems to be completely inaccessible, even if I try to open it in another tab (or another browser).  Like right now in fact.  It's 13:10 central time and the site is not responding.  I hope it recovers by the time I hit send.

13:15, it seems to be back now.  Going to hit send and see what happens.

C|

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #5
Confirmed, I can now break the site at will.  All your base are belong to me.
But only for about a minute.

Steps to reproduce:
- use search with "topic subject only" checked, search term "cornucopia"
- find no results
- press back button on browser (latest firefox)
- repeat search with "topic subject only" not checked
- profit

C|

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #6
Anyone find my build thread yet?  I have a nice warm ball of lint right out of the dryer for anyone that does!

C|

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #7

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #9
Sweet!!!  ;D

I cheated.  Even so, it demonstrates a point.  Knowing how to search is the key.  There are tricks which may be beneficial.  Some tricks I haven't tried with this software need to be explored.....

....anyway, to answer your question.  Using the single term "build", then pasting yoir name in the "By user" box put that thread right on the first page.

The tricks I need to try work on other platforms such as Giggle.  Examples would be use of quotes for exact term search, && and OR statements, as well as a couple others.  

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #10
Sweet!!!  ;D

I cheated.  Even so, it demonstrates a point.  Knowing how to search is the key.  There are tricks which may be beneficial.  Some tricks I haven't tried with this software need to be explored.....

....anyway, to answer your question.  Using the single term "build", then pasting yoir name in the "By user" box put that thread right on the first page.

The tricks I need to try work on other platforms such as Giggle.  Examples would be use of quotes for exact term search, && and OR statements, as well as a couple others.

Ok, so that worked because the word "build" was in it.  But what if it wasn't?  If I try the same thing with "extravaganza" instead of "build" it doesn't work.  What's up with that?

C|

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #11

Ok, so that worked because the word "build" was in it.  But what if it wasn't?  If I try the same thing with "extravaganza" instead of "build" it doesn't work.  What's up with that?

C|
Without actually revisiting, is that term anywhere in the body of the thread (not the title)?  Which opens the perfect time to respond to your earlier question: the devs quickly stated there was no code in the software for searching the subject.  Interesting after all these years no one thought to do THAT.  Lol.  The good news is that may prompt them to remedy the situation. 

In the meantime clever use of Giggle can be a good supplement.  Thanks for the heads up!

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #12
Confirmed exact phrase search works.  Syntax ex:       "chicken wang" returns threads with those words together in that order.

Word exclusion appears to work.  Exclusion involves using a - symbol to denote words you don't want.  Ex:  -chicken wang returns threads with wang but not chicken.

&& is already implied, but I was curious to see if the software recognized the operator.  Apparently not, | does not work for an OR statement either. 

So there's that.  ;D

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #13
Without actually revisiting, is that term anywhere in the body of the thread (not the title)?

No it is not.  Only in the title.

Which opens the perfect time to respond to your earlier question: the devs quickly stated there was no code in the software for searching the subject.  Interesting after all these years no one thought to do THAT.  Lol.  The good news is that may prompt them to remedy the situation. 

Srsly?  So then WTF does the setting do?  I KNOW for certain it searches the subject at least sort of because if you try a more common word it does return some results.

I'm totally face palming right now.  This hurts my brain.

C|

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #14

Srsly?  So then WTF does the setting do?  I KNOW for certain it searches the subject at least sort of because if you try a more common word it does return some results.

I'm totally face palming right now.  This hurts my brain.

C|
That makes two of us.  :-X

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #16
This is still broken sort of.  Searching for "extravaganza" does not find my build thread.  But it does find other threads with the word "extravaganza" in the title.   I guess it just doesn't like me.   :\\\'(

C|