Skip to main content

Topic: Samurai 2.0 swap (Read 3786 times) previous topic - next topic

• melbakid
  • [*]
  • Sparky
Re: Samurai 2.0 swap
Reply #140
It's a shame that they won't listen to you. You tell them what you want for a reason, but they always know better! ::)
I am building my own exhaust for my Tin Top. The only thing I don't have is a muffler yet. I haven't been able to find one that I like. I'm doing 2" all the way. I have a stainless header with the O2 sensor below where the 4 pipes merge. Then I will have a 2" flex connector, then a new cat, a short piece of, then the muffler, then finish with pipe over the axle and 90 out just under the bumper. I have all mild steel mandrel bent pipe pieces that I will fit together. The exhaust under there now is an abomination! :o
There are only 2 types of Samurai's: Those we need & those we want!
9/13: Goldilocks 88.5 Samurai ST 29's on 15x7's
11/13: 95 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR Parts car
2/15: Red Ryder 88.5 Samurai TT 4.16 TC w/ TT shifter, MKII, SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME Stabilizer, ZOR seats

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #141
This is going to make me sound like a total arrogant a-hole, but to be honest, the reason why I work on my own stuff is because I've never met a mechanic that could fix or diagnose anything properly or accurately. Shortcuts, incomplete work etc.... Overall incompetence and I have no patience for it. I did have an awesome muffler guy that I took all my stuff to, but like many other trade occupations, he retired and took that wisdom and experience with him. This is my first exhaust job since 1997 that he hasn't done. I miss him already. :( Time to learn to weld and bend pipe I guess.

I will say my dealings with Brent, Ben, and Linda from TT have been the best automotive part ordering and service experiences ever. Even with my semi stupid questions and special needs, they've been patient with me and very knowledgeable. Without them, this swap would have been impossible or at least way more difficult.

• Last Edit: Thursday, Apr 20, 2017, 06:43 AM by lxer96

• 87Rhino
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #142
This is going to make me sound like a total arrogant a-hole, but to be honest, the reason why I work on my own stuff is because I've never met a mechanic that could fix or diagnose anything properly or accurately. Shortcuts, incomplete work etc.... Overall incompetence and I have no patience for it. I did have an awesome muffler guy that I took all my stuff to, but like many other trade occupations, he retired and took that wisdom and experience with him. This is my first exhaust job since 1997 that he hasn't done. I miss him already. :( Time to learn to weld and bend pipe I guess.

I will say my dealings with Brent, Ben, and Linda from TT have been the best automotive part ordering and service experiences ever. Even with my semi stupid questions and special needs, they've been patient with me and very knowledgeable. Without them, this swap would have been impossible or at least way more difficult.
That is the problem with our society today, professions like mechanics, plumbers, electricians, ETC are all considered inferior professions.  So the industry's have been plagued with inferior candidates and in turn the quality of person you get to do these job typically isn't up to par to most peoples standard.  I feel the mainstream media has caused a lot of this by portraying blue collar jobs in movies and news media with persons that are the bottom of the barrel in our profession.  I am a 3rd generation mechanic and there is a reason my father and I are still the only two mechanics we have in our shop.  Hired many people and had to let go shortly after for the exact reasons you stated above, hard to find good help now days.  I just get so irritated with the way our profession is portrayed by media, I don't think they realize some of the people including myself do these professions because its what they love not because they are incapable of doing anything else, they don't ever bring people like myself (who has a bachelors degree and graduated with honors) into the media because that wouldn't fit their agenda.

Sorry off the soapbox now!! :-\\\\

Jeremy
  • Last Edit: Thursday, Apr 20, 2017, 09:34 AM by 87Rhino
87 Samurai TT, Weber, Pacesetter Header, 2" Exhaust, Rhino Lined exterior, DIY 2.5 lifted YJ SPUA, 32x11.5r15's.

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #143
That is the problem with our society today, professions like mechanics, plumbers, electricians, ETC are all considered inferior professions.  So the industry's have been plagued with inferior candidates and in turn the quality of person you get to do these job typically isn't up to par to most peoples standard.  I feel the mainstream media has caused a lot of this by portraying blue collar jobs in movies and news media with persons that are the bottom of the barrel in our profession.  I am a 3rd generation mechanic and there is a reason my father and I are still the only two mechanics we have in our shop.  Hired many people and had to let go shortly after for the exact reasons you stated above, hard to find good help now days.  I just get so irritated with the way our profession is portrayed by media, I don't think they realize some of the people including myself do these professions because its what they love not because they are incapable of doing anything else, they don't ever bring people like myself (who has a bachelors degree and graduated with honors) into the media because that wouldn't fit their agenda.

Sorry off the soapbox now!! :-\\\\

Jeremy
Well spoken and I agree 100%. I hate seeing skilled workers looked down upon, and openly defend them when it does happen. Move to Ga. You'd make a killing with quality work of any kind. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I haven't found one yet that I feel comfortable with and can cite many examples why. I'm not just being a jerk about it like some people who aren't happy with anything can be. It definitely takes a certain skill and mindset to troubleshoot complex mechanical issues. At most shops, including dealerships, they just swap parts until something works. Once the part diagram has been exhausted, the issue can't be duplicated or resolved and it gets returned to the customer. I feel like if a guy like me, who has some experience, but limited knowledge can find an issue that a person who does the job for a living can't, something isn't right, yet it's happened on multiple occasions.  
The exhaust should be done today, the right way. They called me again this morning and I explained again, how it's supposed to be. As for the cooling issue, I'll resolve that one on my own I guess. I'll post up my solution so ya'll can use it if needed. I found some other posts where guys were having similar cooling issues and resolved it by using one of those no spill funnels that raises up the coolant level higher than the highest point on the engine and cracking a hose open that runs from the head to the intake manifold to bleed the air out. I'm going to try it out and see if it fixes my cooling issue. Gosh I hope so. I really want to drive it again. Hopefully I did no damage in the 15 mile stretch of 3/4 temps.

• 87Rhino
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #144
Yeah sorry wasn't trying to argue with you are anything, there is a reason I don't trust hardly anyone else to work on anything I own but myself just like you.  Good Mechanic's are harder and harder to come by every day!  Glad your exhaust has gotten straightened out and good luck with the rest of the little issues you are resolving!  have enjoyed the thread!
Jeremy
87 Samurai TT, Weber, Pacesetter Header, 2" Exhaust, Rhino Lined exterior, DIY 2.5 lifted YJ SPUA, 32x11.5r15's.

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #145
Oh I wasn't arguing either. It's just what I said might come off as being d**ckish to some people. Just wanted ya'll to know that wasn't the case. :) 

I just got a call saying it's done so maybe today or tomorrow, I'll go pick it up.

• Garemie
  • [*][*]
Reply #146
lxer,

I agree with only working on my own vehicle. The only thing anyone has ever done for me was bend exhaust pipe with the dimensions I gave them...never touched my vehicle though.

There's nothing wrong with perfectionism, and like the old saying goes "If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself"
1987 Soft Top, 16v, 31s, SPOA - SOLD
1988.5 TT, 16v, 29s, ZOR seats, stock otherwise

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #148
I got it back today. Sounds like a boxer engine. :) Bled the coolant system out and it helped some, but it's still running 2/3 up the gauge and the fan stays on. There are no bubbles in the coolant though, so that part of the head gasket is good. :) Felt the lower hose and it's way cooler than the top hose. Suspected the thermostat, so I drained the coolant, removed the thermostat, boiled the thermostat in a pot on the stove, and it opened up just fine. Boiled the other thermostat that came with the motor and it opened too. Mine was a 195, that one was a 180 so I put the 180 back in it and it's running a little cooler now, but the lower hose is still cooler and the fan is still staying on. The fan kicks on just above the black tick mark that is about 1/3 of the way up the gauge, which is just about the same spot I set for the permacool unit I had before kick on. Unless there is some kind of blockage, the water pump is bad, or it's just supposed to run hotter than a 1.3, I'm out of ideas. I drove it around for a while today and it never spewed coolant like last time, but I'm still a little worried. 

It could be my temperature sensor adapter is getting hotter than the coolant stream. I'm going to give Brent a call on Monday to see what he thinks. I'm so close to being able to drive it worry free. :) 

• Ned Kelly
  • [*]
Reply #150
Can you run no catalytic convertors?

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #151
It was running without it, but the exhaust smell was horrible and I'm sure the ECU wasn't happy that the readings weren't right. I'd be running 2 if they'd fit. The less emissions the better. After all you're breathing in that same air. I wish I could install a baby converter on my lawnmower...

• melbakid
  • [*]
  • Sparky
Reply #152
I am a little sad to say that there isnt really much room for the 2nd cat. Here is an underbelly shot.
Can you cheat the existing cat further forward and the muffler further back to pick up a little more room for the 2nd cat? I know the closer the cat is to the exhaust manifold the better they work.
There are only 2 types of Samurai's: Those we need & those we want!
9/13: Goldilocks 88.5 Samurai ST 29's on 15x7's
11/13: 95 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR Parts car
2/15: Red Ryder 88.5 Samurai TT 4.16 TC w/ TT shifter, MKII, SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME Stabilizer, ZOR seats

• Garemie
  • [*][*]
Reply #153
I got it back today. Sounds like a boxer engine. :) Bled the coolant system out and it helped some, but it's still running 2/3 up the gauge and the fan stays on. There are no bubbles in the coolant though, so that part of the head gasket is good. :) Felt the lower hose and it's way cooler than the top hose. Suspected the thermostat, so I drained the coolant, removed the thermostat, boiled the thermostat in a pot on the stove, and it opened up just fine. Boiled the other thermostat that came with the motor and it opened too. Mine was a 195, that one was a 180 so I put the 180 back in it and it's running a little cooler now, but the lower hose is still cooler and the fan is still staying on. The fan kicks on just above the black tick mark that is about 1/3 of the way up the gauge, which is just about the same spot I set for the permacool unit I had before kick on. Unless there is some kind of blockage, the water pump is bad, or it's just supposed to run hotter than a 1.3, I'm out of ideas. I drove it around for a while today and it never spewed coolant like last time, but I'm still a little worried.

It could be my temperature sensor adapter is getting hotter than the coolant stream. I'm going to give Brent a call on Monday to see what he thinks. I'm so close to being able to drive it worry free. :)
I think you need to know in real numbers what the ECU is seeing. Or even what it shows with a heat laser at the thermostat cap.
1987 Soft Top, 16v, 31s, SPOA - SOLD
1988.5 TT, 16v, 29s, ZOR seats, stock otherwise

• urbex
  • [*]
  • Bad Decisions abound!
Reply #154
Those Dayco radiator hoses working OK?  I looked then up on Autozone's web site, and they say that the hoses are both 1.25" inlet and outlet.  Seems like 1/4" would be a lot to try to clamp down to seal...or are listed wrong at Autozone?  

I'm thinking the same thing as you... $1700 swap kit, and a radiator that's supposedly custom made for this swap, and they used smaller outlets on the radiator?!?!  Not to mention a compete lack of any kind of documentation for a kit that's listed as a "COMPLETE" kit on their web site, nor any mention of all these little things that need to be addressed really irks me.  I was thinking of ordering their Trail Slayer suspension kit after finishing the 2.0 swap, but after all the times I've thought WTF!?!? while putting this kit in, I don't exactly get the warm and fuzzy feelings about sending them a few more grand...
1987 Samurai - SPOA, 30s
2002 Vitara - 2.0L, 215 BFG ATs, Tracker wheels, otherwise stock
2005 Dodge Ram Hemi - tow/gas pig
1962 International Scout - LT1/TH400/D300/tons/37s
1959 International B-162 - future heavy hauler/tow pig

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #155
Yes. The hoses work fine. No leaks. In fact, there are no leaks on the engine anywhere of any kind, which is a first with a Suzuki engine for me. My steering box is leaking though. I did snap the dipstick handle off Friday which is kind of annoying, but you can still get new ones so it's fine. 

I think the use of the word "complete" is where the problem is. It's certainly not complete, but it does give you a heck of a good place to start from. 85% of the fab work is done. I'd have no qualms buying anything else from them. I've ordered stuff from them in the past too without issues. My only suggestion to those guys would be to add into their literature about the differences in the 2.0 Aerio version and what won't fit, but I've kind of done that for ya'll at this point. :) 

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Reply #156
 In fact, there are no leaks on the engine anywhere of any kind, which is a first with a Suzuki engine for me.

Something is wrong.  Very, very wrong.  Does it have oil in it?   [lol]  
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• urbex
  • [*]
  • Bad Decisions abound!
Reply #158

I think the use of the word "complete" is where the problem is. It's certainly not complete, but it does give you a heck of a good place to start from. 85% of the fab work is done.
Not only complete, but, and I quote from their site - "COMPLETE".  I would have been fine had TT said something to the effect of "We'll supply all the major components, and it's on you to make it work....not intended for 1st time swappers".  This is far from my 1st engine swap, and in fact have done a couple dozen complete drivetrain swaps over the years, but I'm at the point in my life that I don't want to spend every free weekend for 3 months in the garage making things work together any more.  I want to spend my time playing, not wrenching.  

As it was, it took twice as long to get the kit than it was supposed to, as Brent claimed that they didn't even receive my parts until two weeks after he called me to to say the request I included in the box that contained my harness wasn't going to be possible, and charged my credit card. Then it took another couple of weeks because the motor mounts were apparently back ordered, but never once did I even get an email saying things were going to be delayed a bit. 

I bought the kit not because of lack of ability, but rather to save some time and NOT have to do the R&D and fab myself.  I think for something that's advertised as a COMPLETE kit that cost me nearly $1700, I shouldn't have to find out after getting the motor in that the exhaust manifold hits the steering shaft, that the hood won't clear the motor, figuring out which radiator hoses to use, what size fasteners I need for the fan kit, or any other "little detail".  I'm also doing this with a 2.0 motor, so I'm not even dealing with the 2.3 differences.  Is it really too much to ask for a sheet of paper to be included mentioning this stuff?  Hell, I got a 6 page pack from Myron detailing how to put their cradle together, which would seem to be much more self explanatory, lol. 

That's the big reason why I'm not wild about sending them another 4 grand for the suspension kit.  I'm not knocking the parts themselves - it's solid product, but if this motor swap kit is any indication, I'll be money AND time ahead just to build the linked set up myself. 

All that said, THANK YOU for this thread.  I wasn't looking forward to the argument with the counter monkeys - "no..you're not going to find what I need under the year/make/model fields", lol. 
1987 Samurai - SPOA, 30s
2002 Vitara - 2.0L, 215 BFG ATs, Tracker wheels, otherwise stock
2005 Dodge Ram Hemi - tow/gas pig
1962 International Scout - LT1/TH400/D300/tons/37s
1959 International B-162 - future heavy hauler/tow pig

• ka4yqi
  • [*][*][*]
  • Now Retired, but watching
Reply #159
Joey, does this mean that you about ready to give me a demo ride? I finally  retired so i have plenty of time between  my honey do's.   

Steve
Steve Arrington
Carrollton, Ga