Skip to main content

Topic: Samurai 2.0 swap (Read 3460 times) previous topic - next topic

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Re: Samurai 2.0 swap
Reply #40
Next step is to put the flywheel on. I wiggled the flywheel on and alas, it doesn't fit. There is a little pin that you have to remove first. This is it. I could not pull mine out, even with vise grips. I very carefully ground it off with the grinder. 

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #41
I put the flywheel back on and torqued the bolts down to 55ftlbs. I'm not sure why but the bolts had some kind of RTV sealant on them when I took them off. I put some back on there before torquing them down. Next step is to put the brass input shaft bushing in. The center hole has one side that is tapered and one side that is not. Since there are no instructions, I can only assume that the tapered hole faces the input shaft on the transmission to ease the installation of the transmission. I gently tapped it in place with a hammer. It fit absolutely perfectly.
  • Last Edit: Monday, Nov 07, 2016, 09:18 AM by lxer96

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #43
While I was on the backside of the engine, I noticed where the temp sender will go. I removed the bolt, compared the threads and sure enough, the stock Samurai temp sender threads right in. 
  • Last Edit: Saturday, Nov 19, 2016, 04:13 PM by lxer96

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #44
Now I removed the transmission from the Samurai to attach the adapter plate to it. I got the adapter plate and the bag of hardware and set up shop on top of the washing machine in the garage. Note to self... Transmission mount is completely destroyed. lol
Ok so... Again, there are no instructions with the adapter plate. Luckily, this is exactly the same as it is on the 1.6 and I've done probably 10 of those. You start by removing both studs from the transmission and remove the lower spacer on the engine. The upper spacer on the engine stays in place. Once you remove those items, the tapered bolts go in these holes, and then screw in where the studs were.  

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #45
Now the plate is attached to the transmission. Now you are left with 6 pieces of hardware. 2 nuts 2 bolts and 2 studs. The studs go in to the top of the engine block but they are different. One has a wider portion than the other. The wider one threads into the passenger side of the block. The narrower one goes into the drivers side. Then you slide the transmission on and start the nuts on to the studs from the transmission side. The 2 remaining bolts thread into the adapter plate from the engine block side. As they are in the photo. To get the lower splash guard back on, you have to trim it out as show below. It won't fit in stock form. 
  • Last Edit: Saturday, Feb 25, 2017, 04:26 PM by lxer96

• melbakid
  • [*]
  • Sparky
Reply #47
I had a good buddy who was a big time hot rodder, he has since past away(God rest his soul). But his favorite saying was, "Don't worry big guy it will bolt on, EVENTUALLY!" :P

It seems these "kits" that are supposed to fit nice and easy never do. :o 
I feel your pain. Been there, tried to do that! :-\\\\
There are only 2 types of Samurai's: Those we need & those we want!
9/13: Goldilocks 88.5 Samurai ST 29's on 15x7's
11/13: 95 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR Future parts car
2/15: Red Ryder 88.5 Samurai TT 4.16 TC w/ TT shifter, MKII, SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME Steering Stabilizer,

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #48
I gotta say, the fitment of the Trail Tough parts is great, but the devil is in the details. That is the whole point of this write up. Informing what the details are for all to learn from. I've never seen a comprehensive write up on a 2.0 or 2.3 swap before. I know there will be many more hurdles before its over.

• HoboRambler
  • [*][*]
Reply #49
Would anyone like to see a Megasquirt or Microsquirt install on this? I'm considering it instead of using the factory stuff just for funsies. I've been reading through the manuals online and it doesn't seem too terribly complicated. It looks like the stock J20 crank trigger wheel is supported now by the firmware.
I am very interested in megasquirt on these engines. 

• melbakid
  • [*]
  • Sparky
Reply #51
I am very interested in megasquirt on these engines.
X2
There are only 2 types of Samurai's: Those we need & those we want!
9/13: Goldilocks 88.5 Samurai ST 29's on 15x7's
11/13: 95 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR Future parts car
2/15: Red Ryder 88.5 Samurai TT 4.16 TC w/ TT shifter, MKII, SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME Steering Stabilizer,

• Steve1814
  • [*][*]
Reply #52
I pulled the transmission back off today and installed the spacer. Now the flywheel isn't touching the oil pan anymore but the lower dust cover still wont fit. Must be one of those obstacles to work around that I didn't know about. There seem to be lots of little obstacles with this swap. 😊
dang!  I didn't know that plate was supposed to go back either-I tossed mine about 4 months ago  :\\\'(
     '87 Samurai with TBI Sumo II 1.3, SPOA, 4.1 Xfer, Neon Seats (comfy!) Still working on other upgrades...

• Steve1814
  • [*][*]
Reply #53
Hope it works out for you.   8)
     '87 Samurai with TBI Sumo II 1.3, SPOA, 4.1 Xfer, Neon Seats (comfy!) Still working on other upgrades...

• LiveLine
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #55
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this write up.  

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #56
I went to the pull a part in south Atlanta today and pulled my wire harness and ecu. It took me about 3 hours total. It wasn't difficult but it was a slow process. I still may use mega squirt but since I've never heard the engine run, I figure it would be best to use factory stuff at least in the beginning. Now parts wise, I'm only missing the lower alternator bracket, power steering hp hose, both cat converters and exhaust system.
  • Last Edit: Saturday, Nov 19, 2016, 04:14 PM by lxer96

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #57
I learned something about the hood clearance issue today. The earlier 2.0s on the Tracker/Vitara (99-01 maybe)have a different intake manifold that slopes downward towards the front of the engine. If your engine does not have this manifold, it will hit the hood. No Aerio engine has this intake manifold. I'm not sure if that manifold will interchange with what I already have. Another thing that would have been nice to know prior to starting the swap. lol

• Last Edit: Monday, Nov 21, 2016, 10:11 AM by lxer96

• Steve1814
  • [*][*]
Reply #58
I learned something about the hood clearance issue today. The earlier 2.0s on the Tracker/Vitara (99-01 maybe)have a different intake manifold that slopes downward towards the front of the engine. If your engine does not have this manifold, it will hit the hood. No Aerio engine has this intake manifold. I'm not sure if that manifold will interchange with what I already have. Another thing that would have been nice to know prior to starting the swap. lol

I do believe the 1.8L Sidekick sport has the lowest sitting intake.  It fits the 2.0-2.3 just fine from what I was told from the PO of my motor.

• Last Edit: Monday, Nov 21, 2016, 10:35 AM by Steve1814

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #59
I do believe the 1.8L Sidekick sport has the lowest sitting intake.  It fits the 2.0-2.3 just fine from what I was told from the PO of my motor.

I wonder is either option is compatible with the Aerio Sensors, fuel rail and EGR without replacing everything along with it.