Skip to main content

Topic: Samurai 2.0 swap (Read 3389 times) previous topic - next topic

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Samurai 2.0 swap
I bought a motor from an Aerio that I am swapping into my OME lifted Samurai. This is going to be a slow series of write-ups. I'll do a small section every time I get new parts or do some work to get a portion done. It doesn't seem like it will be as straight forward as the last swap I did. Today's segment deals with swapping the exhaust manifold and the coolant pipe.

I pulled the manifold off of a Vitara I found in the local pick a part. This is a pretty straight forward swap. Unbolt one. Bolt on the other one. Mainly this is just to show the difference in how they sit on the motor and why you have to swap them. The Aerio manifold points straight down to where the motor mount will be. The Vitara manifold angles towards the rear of the vehicle and clears the motor mount.

Aerio Manifold on the left. Vitara Manifold on the right.

This manifold is not that hard to find, you just need a little info first. For Suzuki Vitaras, 1999-2000 model years, it was only offered on the California models. From 2001 and on, it is the only manifold offered or at least that's what I've found. If it's a 2001 or newer Vitara, it has this manifold. That's how I found one here in Ga. There are a bunch of them out there, not only on Cali models. I've seen a few 2.0 Trackers here too with the same manifold. There is no way they can only be on Cali models like I've read in some places. 
  • Last Edit: Tuesday, Oct 04, 2016, 02:49 PM by lxer96

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Re: Samurai 2.0 swap
Reply #4
After removing the 2 bolts and 2 nuts that hold the housing on, we can compare the Aerio outlet to the one I pulled off of the same Vitara I got the exhaust manifold from. The Vitara outlet curves 90 degrees and has a pipe attached to it that runs coolant to the front of the engine towards the radiator. Aerio on top, Vitara on bottom. Note. The nipple coming out of both housings on the bottom right go to the heater core. The Aerio outlet is larger in diameter. 
  • Last Edit: Monday, Oct 03, 2016, 06:20 PM by lxer96

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #5
Another thing I noticed is that the coolant temp sensors are not the same. The Aerio sensor is a 2 wire sensor and the threads on it are smaller in diameter than the Vitara sensor which is a 3 wire sensor. They cannot just be swapped out. This will be an issue to figure out later.

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #6
I bolted the Vitara housing and coolant pipe on using the same 2 bolts and nuts that held on the Aerio outlet. The Vitara pipe has an additional bolt that attaches it towards the front of the head to help hold it up. Notice that little nipple that sticks out of the end of the coolant pipe towards the front of the engine? The Aerio engine doesn't need the hose that attaches here on the Vitara engine because the intake manifold and throttle body are completely different. I will need to cap it off somehow. On the Vitara engine, there is a T-junction here that splits the coolant into a spot on the head and a spot on the bottom of the throttle body.
  • Last Edit: Monday, Oct 03, 2016, 06:41 PM by lxer96

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #7
That's it for today. The next posting will be changing out the oil pans to complete the transformation of the FWD engine to a RWD engine, attaching the Trail Tough motor mounts to the block and lowering the engine down into place in the engine bay to see what kind of oil pan to axle clearance I'll be working with. Brent at Trail Tough recommends at least a 4" lift with this swap, but I've never seen it illustrated as to why. I will post up the results soon! 
  • Last Edit: Monday, Oct 03, 2016, 06:42 PM by lxer96

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Reply #8
Great write-up!  Can't wait to see more.  [thumbsup]
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #9
Thanks. The goal is to be thorough. I've read through many postings online about this swap but none of them are really complete. I'm hoping to fill in the gaps for others, I see this swap becoming more popular as the old 1.6's are getting harder to find in good condition, at least in these parts. I can find 2.0s and 2.3s everywhere. No junkyard near me has a running 1.6 8v or 16v under $900. This engine, with 72k miles, cost me $450 and they had about 10 of them.
  • Last Edit: Monday, Oct 03, 2016, 08:20 PM by lxer96

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #10
Had a little set back today. I got my motor mounts that I ordered over a month ago from Roadless Gear and they are the wrong ones. I ordered 2.0 mounts and got 1.3/1.6 mounts. Gotta get the right ones worked out. Just FYI, These mounts for the 1.3/1.6 look awesome. They look a lot tougher than the Petroworks mounts I've used on 1.6's in the past. It looks like the isolator is rubber too as opposed to poly so they should vibrate less. Hopefully the 2.0 ones are equally good! Hopefully it won't take another month to get them!

• Steve1814
  • [*][*]
Reply #11
Had a little set back today. I got my motor mounts that I ordered over a month ago from Roadless Gear and they are the wrong ones. I ordered 2.0 mounts and got 1.3/1.6 mounts. Gotta get the right ones worked out. Just FYI, These mounts for the 1.3/1.6 look awesome. They look a lot tougher than the Petroworks mounts I've used on 1.6's in the past. It looks like the isolator is rubber too as opposed to poly so they should vibrate less. Hopefully the 2.0 ones are equally good! Hopefully it won't take another month to get them!
Exact same vendor, exact same problem with me. They (thankfully) corrected the issue without fuss and had the 2.0 mounts from TT on the way the next day.  
     '87 Samurai with TBI Sumo II 1.3, SPOA, 4.1 Xfer, Neon Seats (comfy!) Still working on other upgrades...

• HoboRambler
  • [*][*]
Reply #13
Another thing I noticed is that the coolant temp sensors are not the same. The Aerio sensor is a 2 wire sensor and the threads on it are smaller in diameter than the Vitara sensor which is a 3 wire sensor. They cannot just be swapped out. This will be an issue to figure out later.
Trail Tough sells the special adapter for the sending unit.  You will likely not find it anywhere else unless you have a machine shop make one. 

• norzuki
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • The Deer Stalker
Reply #15
Nice write-up bud !!  I see you said you are going to be through................. so I decided to (PIN IT). You are at the top of the page [thumbsup]
Loud Proud & Country By The Grace Of God !!!

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #16
Cool. I just bought a new camera and I'd like to make a video series on this to post on Youtube. I hate hearing myself talk though, so I probably won't do it.

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #17
Would anyone like to see a Megasquirt or Microsquirt install on this? I'm considering it instead of using the factory stuff just for funsies. I've been reading through the manuals online and it doesn't seem too terribly complicated. It looks like the stock J20 crank trigger wheel is supported now by the firmware.

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Reply #18
Would anyone like to see a Megasquirt or Microsquirt install on this? I'm considering it instead of using the factory stuff just for funsies. I've been reading through the manuals online and it doesn't seem too terribly complicated. It looks like the stock J20 crank trigger wheel is supported now by the firmware.
Don't do it just because I say this....but if you do I'd like to see it.  [thumbsup]
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• lxer96
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #19
I got my correct 2.0 motor mounts and brand new oil pan. I chose to buy a new pan because I don't like laying in mud to pull one off at the junkyard. Lol. It was $65 at rock auto. The pick up tube is on the way. I may not get much work done this weekend but I hope to get the engine mounted under the hood. School is taking up most of my free time right now.