Skip to main content

Topic: GM lifters (Read 470 times) previous topic - next topic

• Zuki4x4
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Carb Junkie!
GM lifters
Not sure if it is ok to post "other" vehicle tech stuff, I thought this was a good place...

One of my other vehicles is a Pontiac Grand Prix and has had "lifter tick" for a few years now...

Well, one if them finally decided to give up the ghost!!

I wasnt 100% sure if it was a lifter or a rod bearing (sounded that nasty!), so i told myself if I tore it down and the lifters were not the issue, it would prob head to the jy...

For whatever reason, machinists have a difficult time rebuilding these 3800s, and most people just swap out the crank case with a "good" jy one...

Well, to my suprise and joy, i tore it down last night to find this, a nice little lifter that has seen a better day..

You can see in the second pic, a nice good flat spot...

The only thing that concerns me now is if the cam lobe is wiped...argh!!

Just thought I would share!

Hope this is in the right spot in the message board!

• 87Rhino
  • [*][*][*]
Re: GM lifters
Reply #1
If the lifter looks that bad you can almost bet the cam lobe is going to look similar.  You're already that far into it I would swap in a fresh cam and lifters if it were me.  Any way you could use a light and look down at the cam lobe or use an inspection camera to verify?
87 Samurai TT, Weber, Pacesetter Header, 2" Exhaust, Rhino Lined exterior, DIY 2.5 lifted YJ SPUA, 32x11.5r15's.

• Zuki4x4
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Carb Junkie!
Reply #2
Thanks for the reply..

Actually the cam doesn't look too bad?

It is the cyl 6 exhaust lifter, and in the block has an oil passage directly over the cam lobe and I can see it pretty well...

Maybe the cam has a much harder composition than the lifter?

Swapping out the cam on these is a dog, being it is front wheel drive and the engine is in there funny, you have to drop the subframe and lower the engine to get it out...

I will just run it with new lifters and push rods and see what it sounds like, if the knock is still there, I hate to say it, but it is prob JY bound!

• 87Rhino
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #3
If the sound was more of a Knock than a tick I would suspicion a collapsed lifter as well as the rough roller.  I would just worry about throwing another set of lifters in on top of a damaged cam and ruining the new lifters fairly quickly.  I believe you can loosen driver side bolts, remove passenger side bolts and just let the passenger side of the engine cradle sag down and it will give you enough room to swap out the cam.   Not trying to convince you one way or another just hoping to give you more options.

Jeremy
87 Samurai TT, Weber, Pacesetter Header, 2" Exhaust, Rhino Lined exterior, DIY 2.5 lifted YJ SPUA, 32x11.5r15's.

• Zuki4x4
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Carb Junkie!
Reply #4
Sounds like you know what you're talking about!

I have had that dang cradle off so many times, it is crazy.

My last repair was the well known 4th gear/OD shaft falling apart...

That was a hairy repair, while I was in there, all the tranny internals "puked" out while I had the side cover off and decided to go ahead and replace what I could (chain, clutches, a few seals,, input sun gear ect ect)

Getting all that back together with gravity and being the tranny was in there sidweays was a real treat, especially that input sun gear!

It has been an overall good car adn I have put nearly 70k pretty much hassle free miles on it...

Just these last few years it is beginning to show its age and has proved daunting...

I hate giving up the fight though!

Thanks for the input

• Zuki4x4
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Carb Junkie!
Reply #5
Ahhh, finally!

Got the lifters and push rods installed and wow, i have never heard my 3800 sound like it does!

No more tap tap tap!

Woo hooooo!  [black_s]

• 87Rhino
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #6
Good Deal! glad it worked out for you!

Jeremy