Skip to main content

Topic: TDI Sidekick (Read 1846 times) previous topic - next topic

• Suzuki_dude
  • [*][*]
Re: TDI Sidekick
Reply #40
Got the intercooler mocked up last week. Been having issues uploading from my phone. The intercooler fits but it's pretty tight. I might modify the body right behind the bumper to get a bit more airflow. Made some cuts for the intercooler hoses. The first pic is from before I cut the hose shorter and moved the intercooler up a couple inches. Also shortened the headlight adjusting screw. No reason for it to be that long. Second pic is after moving it up. That's about where it'll sit. Also got the suzuki stuff tacked on the toyota axle for test fitting. No pics of it installed yet. Still gotta modify the top link and figure out how to mount the shocks. Should be getting the pinion spacer and flange next week so I can assemble the axle. Also gotta get some driveshafts made. The rear will be from a V6 4runner shortened a couple feet. Front will be a mixture of sidekick rear shafts and the slip part off a driveshaft my dad has laying around. Does anyone have pics of a non sport sidekick with a hydraulic clutch? It'll take some firewall modifications for that to fit. No cable clutch conversion for a W56 that I can find. For the accelerator pedal I might find a newer style one with the sensor built into the pedal. Just needs to have the wires moved around and it should work. Easier to fit that way. For the oil pan my dad had the idea of cutting the bottom off the sidekick pan and welding it to the top of the vw pan. Haven't gotten around to comparing or measuring yet but there's gotta be a reason I haven't heard of anyone doing this before.
1995 2 door sidekick 8v 5 speed 4x4

• Suzuki_dude
  • [*][*]
Reply #41
Been a while since I posted last. I've been fixing up a TDI beetle to drive while my sidekick is down. Got my gauges in before the engine.  ::) Also got an accelerator pedal bracket made. First time with a plasma cutter. They're pretty sweet. Also got my top link modified for the toyota axle. It's been painted since the picture was taken. Today I got the fuel filter mounted to the block and my dad finished welding the brackets on the axle. 

• Suzuki_dude
  • [*][*]
Reply #42
Oil pan got cut and beaten to clear the diff. Might weld it tomorrow. :welder:  Found a good deal on a steel diff from a grand vitara so that's going in. The grand vitara 3rd member fits better so I'm taking the 3.73 from the samurai and putting it in the grand vitara with a solid pinion spacer again. Only drivetrain parts left to upgrade are the CVs. Gotta figure something out for that.

• Suzuki_dude
  • [*][*]
Reply #43
I guess I should update this again. Oil pan is finally done. Took a few evenings to get it to fit and not lose capacity. Also took a while to figure out how to make an oil pickup out of the 5 I had laying around. The oil pan has 2 drain plugs. First one you can see on the bottom was put there before realizing how much capacity it lost. So the back end of the pan got removed and rebuilt deeper. Second drain is on the back in the corner. Also got started on the 3 inch exhaust. Gonna run it on the passenger side right beside the drive shaft. It's tight but it'll fit. A cummins down pipe from a dodge truck will go behind transfer case back to the driver side. I picked up a couple Toyota trucks which included this fancy plate I think I need for a starter shim. No pics of the modified fuel filler. Had a rust hole that was letting mud in so it got a big piece cut out and replaced with a tailpipe extender pipe. No more flap. Also replaced the vr6 water pump pulley with the correct non AC pulley. It's slow progress but still progress.

• Suzuki_dude
  • [*][*]
Reply #44
It's finally happening.  :laugh:  Got next week off to do the swap. Engine is out and new axle is in..... crooked. I'll get it centered better next week. TDI/W56 combo is sitting on the floor ready to go in. Wiring harness is almost done. Just needs to be hooked up the gauges, ignition switch, and battery. I don't think I've posted pics of my oil pickup yet so I took a few. It's a combination of the stock TDI pickup, the sidekick pickup, and an aftermarket big block Chevy pickup. Just for fun I laid the stock driveshafts beside the Toyota shafts going in. The new ones are much heavier and have bigger joints.

• Suzuki_dude
  • [*][*]
Reply #45
I've been working on this thing all week. I'm hoping to have it driving tomorrow and ready to go to work on Monday. I had to design a new hydraulic clutch system because my original idea wasn't even close to fitting. It's using a passat clutch master cylinder from my parts car. I took my clutch lever thing off the splines and turned it around underneath the shaft and it looks like it'll work. I hope the master/slave ratio is OK. The ALH accelerator pedal fits great. Feels a bit softer than my original one but the position is exactly the same. A W56 transmission fits without a body lift and without hanging below the frame but just barely. Did a bunch more things but didn't take any pics. Fuel tank is waiting for a broken bolt to be removed before it goes back in. Fuel and brake lines got straightened and moved to the top of the frame to make room for the 3" exhaust on the passenger side. Rad and intercooler are mostly mounted. Good enough to drive it. Put the battery back in and most of the body wiring still works. Stereo doesn't but that's low priority right now. I was slightly surprised it worked because of the amount of wiring I cut out. I removed some sort of factory suzuki alarm thing. I don't have any siren or wiring for it so I don't know what it was doing there. Maybe that's why my stereo doesn't have power. Also removed the rear ABS controller. I didn't know I had ABS. I've always had weak to non existent rear brakes but never any pedal pulsing. I have a fuse and wiring for it but no dash light either. It's a mystery that has been thrown into the garbage. I tossed the hood and grill on last night for a picture. I love how it looks with the intercooler and TDI badge in the grill.

• Suzuki_dude
  • [*][*]
Reply #46
It's been running and driving for about a week now. Fixed a few coolant leaks where I forgot to tighten stuff. Oil pan bolts are also a bit loose because the pan is leaking oil. I can't get at the back 4 unless I slide the transmission back a bit. Also found out when replacing the master cylinder I should check the pushrod length. My brakes don't release pressure when I let off the brake pedal. After driving 6 miles to town the brakes were smoking. Once that's fixed I'll pull the wastegate off and see if it's stuck open. 12psi is the max and it takes a while to get there. Top speed so far is 58mph.

• Suzuki_dude
  • [*][*]
Reply #47
Well my dad built a tool to get at those 4 bolts without pulling the transmission. So it seems to be the valve cover gasket is leaking from the back. I think the wastegate was open the whole time but my low power issue was a loose connection to the shutoff solenoid in the round black plug on the back of the head. I tested it with my multimeter and got continuity all the way through but it wasn't tight enough for the ECU to be happy. After cutting the wire on both sides of the plug and crimping it back together it now flies. Fuel mileage is great. Haven't gotten the speedometer to work yet to get good numbers on it but I got about 300kms (estimated with google maps) to half a tank on the highway on Saturday. Still has a code for the coolant temp sensor so mileage should go up a bit more once that's fixed.

• Suzuki_dude
  • [*][*]
Reply #48
Filled up today after fixing the speedometer cable last week. 7.02L/100kms with mostly city driving. Haven't fixed the coolant temp sensor issue yet.

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #49
That's awesome! I hope I can get close to 8l/100km with my aaz.

• aPpYe
  • [*]
Reply #50
Filled up today after fixing the speedometer cable last week. 7.02L/100kms with mostly city driving. Haven't fixed the coolant temp sensor issue yet.
Fantastic!  I can see the coolant temp sensor issue affecting mileage negatively as well, so that will probably yield a modest improvement once you get it squared away.  I look forward to hearing about highway mileage as well!  If I remember right, you are running an AHU and a toyota transmission and differentials.  What size tires are you running?
Do you have any pictures of the truck as it stands now?
'95 Suzuki Sidekick JX 4dr
5-Speed Manual 4x4
'97 Passat TDI (1z ... about to be dismantled!)

• Suzuki_dude
  • [*][*]
Reply #51
Fantastic!  I can see the coolant temp sensor issue affecting mileage negatively as well, so that will probably yield a modest improvement once you get it squared away.  I look forward to hearing about highway mileage as well!  If I remember right, you are running an AHU and a toyota transmission and differentials.  What size tires are you running?
Do you have any pictures of the truck as it stands now?
Got the coolant temp sensor fixed today so I'm hoping for a small improvement whenever I fill up next. It idles noticeably quieter now. I found out the ECU uses the fuel temperature signal instead when the coolant temp is out of range. Now that it's seeing the engine as being a lot warmer the timing isn't quite as advanced. I'll probably have to check it in VCDS again. Sometime in June or July I think I'll have a highway trip to find out the highway mileage. Yes AHU with toyota trans and rear end with 3.73 gears and 245/75r16 tires. This is how it looks. The pink flames probably add 20hp.

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #52
Haha love the Dominos sign! Reminded me of my old car! Definitely didnt get 7l/100km in that though!

• Suzuki_dude
  • [*][*]
Reply #53
So far I've filled up 4 times. Best is 6.98L/100kms and worst is 7.3. Found out my oil was leaking from the turbo drain because it was only finger tight and didn't have the copper washers. Fixed that tonight and swapped in dodge 318 motor mounts. My stock ones were really tight so I had a lot of vibration. My theory is the thinner dodge ones will help with that.

• Suzuki_dude
  • [*][*]
Reply #54
New best is now 6.76L/100 kms. ;D  Warmer weather lately and there's more water in the rad now so it stays warm longer when it's parked. Oil leak has stopped. No more puddles everywhere I go. And the dodge mounts helped a lot with the vibration. Still have a little bit but I think that's from the oil pan hitting the front diff at certain rpm. I made 1/2" spacers to lift the engine up so that should fix the rest of the vibrations. Now that my driver side window rolls down again I heard the exhaust for the first time. It sounds like a mini semi under load and I've gotten a few compliments about the sound.  :) This is how they should've come from the factory.

• aPpYe
  • [*]
Reply #55
New best is now 6.76L/100 kms. ;D  Warmer weather lately and there's more water in the rad now so it stays warm longer when it's parked. Oil leak has stopped. No more puddles everywhere I go. And the dodge mounts helped a lot with the vibration. Still have a little bit but I think that's from the oil pan hitting the front diff at certain rpm. I made 1/2" spacers to lift the engine up so that should fix the rest of the vibrations. Now that my driver side window rolls down again I heard the exhaust for the first time. It sounds like a mini semi under load and I've gotten a few compliments about the sound.  :) This is how they should've come from the factory.
These are all local city driving figures?  I am just about ready to start on my own project.
'95 Suzuki Sidekick JX 4dr
5-Speed Manual 4x4
'97 Passat TDI (1z ... about to be dismantled!)

• Suzuki_dude
  • [*][*]
Reply #56
Yep that's mostly city driving. I make a few 7 mile highways trips between cities each day. That's about all the highway driving I do.

• RunninWild
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #57
Jesus thats what my aaz golf was getting! My best tanks were 6.2l/100km but was usually around 6.5 with mostly highway driving. Crazy you can get that in a 4x4!

• Suzuki_dude
  • [*][*]
Reply #58
I have a couple more things to do yet. Trying to get down to at least 6.5. My next set of tires will be 235/85r16 instead of 245/75r16. And next month I'll be getting a new air filter that will get fresh air from the cowl to replace my cone filter under the hood. I'm sure it's sucking hot air most of the time. And I'm considering going to 3.42 gears to drop the rpm even more.